[COMPLETE] The Faerie Queene Book 1 by Edmund Spenser - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!

All audio files can be found on our catalogue page: http://librivox.org/the-faerie-queene-book-1-by-edmund-spenser/

NOTE: annise and miss stav are planning on getting this important work into the catalogue as soon as possible - all reading help welcomed

After some discussion it has been decided that this project will be catalogued as separate books with links to each other- there are problems with 40 plus hour projects that were not known about when it was started. This will not make any difference to the recordings, but as I have time it will become separate threads, which will be able to be catalogued as they are finished. We will finish up then with Book 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 , and 6 &7 together as 7 is incomplete in the original. I will post links to the threads in the first post as I go

Links to books still in progress
Book 5 http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19699

The Faerie Queene Book 1 by Edmund Spenser

Full title "The First Book of the Faerie Queene Contayning The Legende of the Knight of the Red Crosse or Holinesse". The Faerie Queene was never completed, but it continues to be one of the most beautiful and important works of literature ever written. Spenser wrote it as a paean to the Virgin Queen Elizabeth, and to the golden age which she had brought to England. Sponsored by Sir Walter Raleigh and commended by the foremost literary minds of his day, Spenser's book remains one of the crowning poetic achievements of the Elizabethan period.(Summary by Annise)

We'll be leaving off the various commendatory verses and the Letter to Raleigh unless people really think it's necessary. If there's an outcry in favor of it we'll append the letter and the sonnets.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are up for grabs. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: July 1, 2009, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    The best organized online version I could find is here: http://www.uoregon.edu/~rbear/fqintro.html
  5. Please claim sections using the section number in the 'magic window' below
  6. Proof-listening
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?

MAGIC WINDOW:

link
  7. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  8. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section## of the Faerie Queen. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Faerie Queene, by Edmund Spenser. Book ##, [Book Title: ex. "The Legende of Redcrosse]. Canto ##."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Canto ##. Book ##, [Book Title]"
    • At the end of each book, say (in addition):
      "End of Book ##, [Book Title]."
      Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    • At the end of the entire book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Faerie Queene, by Edmund Spenser."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    faeriequeene_bk#_##_spenser.mp3 (all lower-case) where bk# is your book number and ## is your canto number. (ex. faeriequeene_bk1_01_spenser.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use � if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: Book #-[Book title, ex. The Legende of Redcrosse]: [Canto ##]
    Artist: Edmund Spenser
    Album: The Faerie Queene

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ct - Caeristhiona
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
    - your webpage URL (if applicable)
    - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Caeristhiona on April 16th, 2008, 1:27 pm, edited 21 times in total.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ah, what a nice idea, Caeristhionia. Will get back to this later...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Caeristhionia,

I'd be happy to MC this project for you, if that's OK with you.

I've edited the thread title to include my MC initials, and added the project here: http://librivox.org/to-come-collaborative-projects/

David
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I am quite glad to have you supervise me, earthcalling. :) God knows I need it.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
johnfallstaff

Post by johnfallstaff »

i'd like to claim book 3 chant 1
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

All yours, john!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

Please may I claim Book 1, the Prologue, and Book 1, Canto 1?

To be going on with...
Graham
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

They are all yours! :D
-- Jeffrey Rowland
clayjs

Post by clayjs »

Hi, I'm new at this, but I'd like to claim Book I, Cantos 2 and 3
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

johnfallstaff wrote:i'd like to claim book 3 chant 1
clayjs wrote:Hi, I'm new at this, but I'd like to claim Book I, Cantos 2 and 3
John and clayjs, when you send in your files (or before, if that suits), could you each let us know how you want to be credited in the catalogue, and if you have a URL to link to? I'll then add that to our list of readers' names, so you won't be asked again for other projects.

Also, if this will be your first recording, it might be an idea to send in a short file first (a couple of minutes would do) so we can check that your set-up is technically OK before you go too far. Many of us had glitches when we started, so experience tells us it's best not to invest a huge amount of time until we know the set-up is OK.

Many thanks, and enjoy recording!

David
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

clayjs wrote:Hi, I'm new at this, but I'd like to claim Book I, Cantos 2 and 3
You've been added!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
johnfallstaff

Post by johnfallstaff »

Mine approach hath been so far to read the words as Modern English if they may be regarded as the same wordes with a different spelling (though some concessions could be made for metre and rhyme), and to give my best guess to obsolete terms.

I'm working with a print version with bounteous footnootes so that I may undersand what I am reading.

I hope this work wasn't meant to use Middle English phonology, or spelling pronunciations throughout the text.

If this is fine to read mostly as modern English, I'd like to ask how these words would be read:

ne: probably with the vowel schwa
mote: rhymes with 'hot' or 'boat'
ymet, yfere: as 'amet' or 'e-met'
whylome: I'm clueless
hight, wight: as in 'light'
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

johnfallstaff wrote:ne: probably with the vowel schwa
mote: rhymes with 'hot' or 'boat'
ymet, yfere: as 'amet' or 'e-met'
whylome: I'm clueless
hight, wight: as in 'light'
Oooh, I know what you mean, Sir John -- right before getting online here, I was studying for my Chaucer class...in Middle English, no less. This is how my prof taught me to read it (if anyone knows better PLEASE let me know before I tackle one of these cantos for myself)

ne: Ever seen "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"? This is what the knights are saying -- "Ni!"
mote: rhymes with "boat"
ymet: "e-met" -- or more specifically, "EE-ron"
whylome: also spelled "whilom," pronounced as assonant with "Byron" -- that is "WHILE-loam"
hight/wight: does indeed rhyme with "light"
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

Here's Book 1, Canto 1.

The run time is 35 minutes 10 secs, and the file size is around 32 mb.

Please have a listen and let me know if anything should be adjusted.

Or repeated....

Or apologised for........
Graham
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Caeristhiona,

Have you got server space to hold the files as they come in, or shall I set something up?

David