COMPLETE: Ecce Homo by Friedrich Nietzsche-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/ecce-homo-by-friedrich-nietzsche/

Ecce Homo by Friedrich Nietzsche (October 15, 1844 – August 25, 1900) . [Translated by Anthony M. Ludovici] (January 8, 1882 – April 3, 1971).
Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
The philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche's autobiography, Ecce Homo, was the last prose work that he wrote before his illness in 1889. Coming at the end of an extraordinarily productive year in which he had produced The Twilight of the Idols and The Antichrist, Nietzsche shuns any pretense at modesty with chapter titles include “Why I am so Wise”, “Why I am so Clever” and “Why I Write Such Excellent Books”. His translator Anthony M. Ludovici states, Ecce Homo “is not only a coping-stone worthy of the wonderful creations of that year, but also a fitting conclusion to his whole life, in the form of a grand summing up of his character as a man, his purpose as a reformer, and his achievement as a thinker.” (Introduction by Tim SC)
  • Target completion date: Summer 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!):Ecce Homo, Ludovici Translation, Dover Publications 2004
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Word Perfect, Translated Text

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Ecce Homo. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Ecce Homo, by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Anthony M. Ludovici. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Ecce Homo by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Anthony M. Ludovici. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Ecce Homo, by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Anthony M. Ludovici."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    eccehomo_##_nietzsche.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Friedrich Nietzsche
    Album: Ecce Homo
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have a link to this text?

If it was really published in 2004, chances are almost certain that it is not public domain.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

See this thread about editions: http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32369

Tim
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Just to let you know:

I found a complete scan of Ludovici's PD translation online at Google Books and linked to it in that thread.

I mentioned that you'd have to get an American to do the proof-listening, so why don't I just volunteer to be DPL? If you'll have me, of course. :)
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

I think we have agreed that Ecce Homo is PD in the US, and we can use the google books scan of the 1911 edition as the gold standard text for use in proof listening. I am not planning to read the poetry section because that is not part of Ecce Homo, they are just fragments collected for the complete works of the author. (Every other edition of Ecce Homo doesn't contain them.)

A few planning bits about the book's chapters, here are the page counts and approximate run times (I have only recorded chapter 3 and done a rough edit, so far):
  • Chapter 0, 15 pages, 34 minutes, Translator's Preface, Preface
  • Chapter 1, 18 pages, 41 minutes, Why I am so Wise
  • Chapter 2, 26 pages, 59 minutes, Why I am so Clever
  • Chapter 3, 75 pages, 169 minutes, Why I Write Such Excellent Books
  • Chapter 4, 12 pages, 27 minutes, Why I am a Fatality

And here is my current thoughts on splitting the sections, because chapter 3 is very long:
  • File 0, 15 pages, 34 minutes, Translator's Preface, Preface
  • File 1, 18 pages, 41 minutes, Why I am so Wise
  • File 2, 26 pages, 59 minutes, Why I am so Clever
  • File 3, 25 pages, 56 minutes, Why I Write Such Excellent Books, Part 1
  • File 4, 25 pages, 56 minutes, Why I Write Such Excellent Books, Part 2
  • File 5, 25 pages, 56 minutes, Why I Write Such Excellent Books, Part 3
  • File 6, 12 pages, 27 minutes, Why I am a Fatality
Nullifidian, you would be most welcome as DPL.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

I took the liberty of downloading the book from Google and re-uploading it at Archive.org, if that will facilitate matters. So far, it's only available in the PDF form which I uploaded, but maybe they'll add their own flip-through reader as they do on some of their books.

http://www.archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfFriedrichNietzschevol.17-EcceHomo
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello there, I've been following this one with interest, since it's a book I was thinking of opening at some point. Glad someone else is doing it!

I was under the impression Tricia was going to MC, but, if she says she won't, then I will. :)
Leni
=================
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No, I won't. I don't like MC'ing things that aren't PD for me. (And the death date of the translator makes this not PD for me.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ok, thanks, Tricia. So, we have a magic window in place, Tim, let me know if everything is ok. :)
Leni
=================
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

Thanks Leni,

I think we are all set to go. I should have some recordings for proof listening in the next few days.

One thing that I want to do is to seek help from the librivox community to help me say the correct pronunciations. This is not part of the standard proof listening, but I will manage it along side the normal librivox process. Nietzsche likes putting in quotes from French, Latin, etc. as well as mentioning many Italian place names. I am "mono-lingual" in English. I was thinking of listing all the quotes I need help with, in each language, and get someone to record them, then I will imitate their pronunciation. Has this been done before?

Tim
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Tim

Yes, certainly, that's been done before, many times! I have had another volunteer recording French quotes for me, too.

I can record the Latin ones for you, but for the others, a list in the Help Needed forum will do the trick! :)
Leni
=================
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

I have forgotten how much work it is to do this! :)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/eccehomo_03_nietzsche.mp3

65min 12 sec
Rab

Post by Rab »

Hi Tim,

I can help you for the french part if you want to, just tell me the quotes you need to hear.

Rab
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

TimSC wrote:I have forgotten how much work it is to do this! :)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/eccehomo_03_nietzsche.mp3

65min 12 sec
It's worth it in the end, though. :D

Tim, I should have asked before, but have you ever worked with the magic window? Do you have a username and password for it? If you do, the same one will work with this project; if you don't, I can send you one, so you can update the magic window yourself as you finish the sections. :)
Leni
=================
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

Thanks for the offers of language help. I will finish the section I am currently working on and compile a list of quotes.

Leni, I haven't previously used the magic window. Please send me a username/password.

Tim