[COMPLETE]At The Sign of The Jack O'Lantern/Myrtle Reed-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Great, thanks!

Whoah, the target completion date is changed to January of this year.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've made it next year - we don't really worry too much about target dates - just so long as we hear from you every month or so even if you haven't recorded anything.

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great - I have contacted the person who asked if they could PL in May to see if they are still interested. You need to put this one in the MW as well and put the time is too , the time is our check on all the file being catalogued - if the times don't match we check things out.

Anne
Knubbelknirps

Post by Knubbelknirps »

Here I am - downloading the files as I speak..um.. type.
Knubbelknirps

Post by Knubbelknirps »

I've listened to the first 3 Chapters.
I'll just post my notes because I can't access the Magic Window - I hope that's okay.

You could turn down your recording Volume a little bit for the future tracks. Also you should check the titles and decide on one style. Right now it says for example "01 The End of the Honeymoon" "Chapter 2: The Day Afterward" "Chapter 3"
The disclaimer and the closing words sound a lot different from the rest of the recording.

Now the individual tracks

Track 1:
There are little blips at 0:30, 10:47 and 19:21 - I don't think you have to correct them, because they are minimal
However the silence at the end is too long (15 seconds - should be 5 seconds)

Track 2:
7:04 creaking chair (which I find rather charming)
Little blips at 11:59 and 12:19
this time there's no silence at the end of the track - should be 5 seconds

Track 3:
little blip at 6:03
and again no silence at the end of the track
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Thanks for listening and the notes!

I've been having a ton of trouble with my microphones so I'm wondering if there is any way to lower the volume on a track already made in Audacity? (Then again when it comes to troubles and recording chapters, I think the ONLY thing I'm NOT having trouble with is visualising the characters to keep their voices distinct and consistent. *Knock on wood*)

Are the blips like record skips?

I managed to get three more chapters read but I have to edit them. I found a typo, or what I presume is a typo in chapter 8 paragraph 16, I believe. It's in the story Harlan is writing so it should be in italics "To him, too, came the breath of apple bloom, but it brough no joy to his troubled heart."

Brough?? I presume this is a typo for brought but "Harlan" is using that romantic and poetic style of writing so I'm wondering if this is another way of saying brought or not? Any ideas? When I recorded it I read it both ways so I could alter it later when I got to editing.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can lower the volume when I am cataloguing so that isn't a problem - but if you go too high you will "clip" - the wave hits the top and gets flattened , which makes your voice odd. If it is a particular character voice , maybe you could move your head a bit backn from the microphone

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I managed to find the amplify effect so that I could lower the volume in pieces when it looks like I'm going too high/loud. The microphone is actually on a cord under the headset and I don't know why but when I made recordings with the headphones off of my head it just didn't record at all. I could... um, lift my head upwards, maybe?

Any idea about brough/brought?

Thank ye!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

What you always need to do is see if there is an on-line scan version - Google books or Archive are good starts . I goggled searched, there was a listing for both , I looked at the archive scan and it is brought :D

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Thank goodness! (and thank you!) I was worried it was a Robert Burns type of thing...

*sigh* now I just want to look at the scan anyway just to see what a copy of this book looked like... too bad I shan't be able to enjoy the fragrance, too. :wink:
Knubbelknirps

Post by Knubbelknirps »

Morlock wrote: Are the blips like record skips?.
Yes, I would say so. Just listen in on one of the Times i've listed. It's nothing major. You can just leave it in.
But you have to correct the silence at the end of all tracks and the names of the files (Id-Tags).

Meanwhile I've listened to Tracks 4-6
Silence and Id-Tags need to be corrected -otherwise they sound great (Volume is okay as well).

Let me know, when you re-upload the files
Knubbelknirps

Post by Knubbelknirps »

Just downloaded the new parts
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

More files :clap: :clap:
Could you try and remember to post the length of the files in mins:secs - it is the only check we have that all the files arrive here and eventually arrive at archive - and it is so easy for them to be nibbled away in transmission ?

Anne