[COMPLETE]At The Sign of The Jack O'Lantern/Myrtle Reed-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I click on the admin and it says "sorry, you can only view this page if you're a BC for this project"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've retyped it in the database - I couldn't see anything wrong
See how it goes

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Tried it again. This was what the page read:

"Sorry, you can only access this page if you are the BC for the project"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've answered your PM - you picked a bad day to start. I downloaded file 1 just to see everything was OK - It sounded good and an interesting story.
There a a couple of places where you shout -as the story sayss - and it maybe be a bit too big a volume change using earphones - there are techniques to sound loud without making the wave peaks you have - , many people move back a little from the microphone as an easy way - Chapter 1 is OK, I will mark it so in the MW when we can access it again

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I have PLed your 1st chapter properly , the reading is good but there are a few thinks that need fixing

There is a bit missing in the template - did you cut it out or is there a faulty template somewhere?
At the start of each recording you need to say

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of [Book title]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]" The bit in red is not in your template and we need it

The file has a DC offset - this is a product of your recorder , not you . The centre line of the waves does not match that of the program - what looks like a thick black line is in fact 2 separate lines . If you highlight your recording , go to effects - normalise and just check the box by remove DC offset it will turn into 1 line - you will need to do this for all your recordings, before you do any editing
    In file 1 there are some spots where you have no offset so you will need to dodge them. It's better to let your recoding run on a bit , and use that for any additions of time , rather than use silence

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Okay, I'm not surprised. I've switched to using voice memo through another device which the fourth chapter is in. I'm guessing I should do chapters 2 & 3 over?

I'm not sure if by template you mean on the forum or on the recording.

Is there a list of abbreviations librivox uses? I think I need it because my knowledge of DC is District of Columbia or a style of electrical current and even that I'm not too sure about. (When I get doctors notes and see "F.U. if not feeling better" I don't remember it means "follow up" until I've laughed myself silly over what vulgar sense I made of it. :lol: )

However I wrote down your tips and will go through them on audacity soon. Should I be uploading the revamped versions? I'll wait for further details. Sorry I picked such a hacker holiday/spree. (Can I blame all my mistakes on them?)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Its electrical - means Direct Current - it means (I think) there is current coming from the sound card often , seems more common with a round plug attached microphone that goes through the sound card than a USB type that doesn't.
It is not a problem to have as long as you get rid of it - I understand it does interfere with some speakers - and I know it interferes with any sort of editing you do , if you notice there are spots - the easiest to see is the end where it suddenly becomes a thin line , if you enlarge it you will see that the second line suddenly jumps to the first - and this jump may cause odd noises on playback.
Any files are uploaded with the same name - the uploader is smart - it keeps the current file adding a time and date so that it will not be overwritten
By the template - I meant what you filled out in the first post. We were asked by users to identify the chapter first off so those with players without screens or those unable to read screens could flick through to find the chapter so you need to start chapter 3 of book . This is a...

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Okay, I see where there are problems. I went back and I can see where I messed up. However, I'm wondering if the first was done okay, because mentioning the chapter # first is listed in the template as second and subsequent chapters.

Otherwise I can simply re-record whatever chapters need a complete overhaul. I just need to know which ones.

If there are okay ones that I need to normalize & knock out the DC, that's fine too, I just need to know which ones.

If any of those are fine but need the introductions reorganised with some cutting and pasting, that I can do.

Today's law of irony was *very* kind and allowed me use of the magic window. :9:

peace
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Its the first one that I listened to - the template you copied says "Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of [Book title]" but this doesn't seem to be in your first post - I think you must have deleted it.
    I think we should advertise for a PLer now you have some files in the MW - I'll show you how to say PL wanted in the MW , but I'll set up the invite over in Listeners wanted
    It's up to you if you fix the intro now or wait till the PLer finds something else - I just looked at the first one to make sure you didn't finish up with problems in all of the files - your reading is good by the way :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've added it to your first 2 files ,you can just copy and paste. Thee mm:ss is for you to put the time (duration) of the file - it is how we keep track that the file is not truncated from your computer to it's final resting place at Archive

Anne
Knubbelknirps

Post by Knubbelknirps »

Hey Morlock,It sounds like an interesting book - so if you don't mind a newbie, I'd like to be your DPL.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Knubbelknirps wrote:Hey Morlock,It sounds like an interesting book - so if you don't mind a newbie, I'd like to be your DPL.
I'm not sure where Morlock is at the moment - I'm sure she would love you to be her DPL - lets just wait till we find out if she is going to change anything in the files she has done.

Anne
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Well, if you were wondering where I was, librivox wasn't the only hacked arena... in the beginning of June or thereabouts our main computer got a virus and I have been desperately taking more hours at work to try and pay for a new one. Meanwhile we've gotten some help to take care of the old one but it's really horrible when everyone around you has alternating tips on the problem but no one really devotes offered time to it.

Lor! Can I change my ending time since two months were viciously annihilated by the powers of evil? If not all I can say is I'm glad I wrote down December instead of September... I feel like I so lost the thread but I wanted to get this posted as soon as I had the chance. I tried other avenues to do the recordings but all I had were cassettes and I didn't feel that would cut it later on. Now I have to see if I can re-learn everything. My life has really altered these last two months as far as internet prowess goes.

So, um, where was I?

D.W.

P.S. *weep!*
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks for keeping us informed - I will change the date. We aren't really comcerned with the rate of progress , just that we know the reader intends to finish it. I've a new computer too and although it is great in many ways there are bits I haven't got working again yet ,
Anne