COMPLETE : Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne » January 18th, 2006, 2:08 am

I finished my Chapter. :)

Took me longer than I expected--my mic is too sensitive and I am a freakin anal perfectionist--but I had a really great time, and I remembered just why I loved this so much when I was little :D

Things got a little weird when I tried to upload it to YouSendIt. It gave me an error message after the transfer. I'm hoping it worked anyway, because with a truly terrible internet connection of less than 32k, I don't want a Do Over :P It did give me a link:
http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3GA1FYO05M9T225N1UXWMBSGPV

Please let me know if something went ohcrap and I need to try again :)

==
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
http://forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 18th, 2006, 8:11 am

Marlodianne, your reading is beautiful. Thank you!

One small note... the volume is really low (I had all of my volume sliders up to the loudest and I'm only just able to hear you)... I'm able to fix it from here for this file, but you might want to consider the following suggestions from Peter Why for future recordings (believe me... I've had every problem known to humanity relating to low volume, so I can easily relate =)
Peter Why wrote:For me,

I'll record (with Audacity's input volume slider set to maximum volume) with repeats when I want to change something;

go through it editing out all the duplicates and any intrusive noises or giant gaps (sometimes I'll adjust the timing a little at this stage by cutting and pasting "silence", sometimes in the next stage) ... you can also selectively amplify small sections which you think are unusually quiet (by perhaps 2-5 decibels);

listen through it (ideally, through headphones, as they are more sensitive to oddities).

Save it (as an Audacity file.

Select All, then Amplify (All) to the amount suggested by Audacity (which I think is set so that the loudest sound on your track is amplified just short of distortion).

Now Export as an MP3 file ... here's where you'll be prompted for the ID3 tags that the thread for each work mentions.

Peter
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

marlodianne

Post by marlodianne » January 18th, 2006, 1:53 pm

That's really weird. The playback volume on my system was the same as I listen to everything, and I have partial hearing loss, so to most people my system is Super Freakin Loud :P

It's true that I didn't let audiocity do full amplify. It I let it do the number it suggested it distorted the audio horribly, so I stuck with half that to keep things clear.

Anyway, I'm about to tackle an orphan from Grimm's Fairy Tales, so I'll play a bit more to see if I can somehow go louder without going all hissy :)

Be well,
Marlo
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 18th, 2006, 3:48 pm

marlodianne wrote:That's really weird. The playback volume on my system was the same as I listen to everything, and I have partial hearing loss, so to most people my system is Super Freakin Loud :P

It's true that I didn't let audiocity do full amplify. It I let it do the number it suggested it distorted the audio horribly, so I stuck with half that to keep things clear.

Anyway, I'm about to tackle an orphan from Grimm's Fairy Tales, so I'll play a bit more to see if I can somehow go louder without going all hissy :)

Be well,
Marlo
Wow, that is interesting about the playback for you... no real worries though, we have a nice utility that helps make all of the different files be at a similar volume... =)
~ Betsie

Squiddhartha

Post by Squiddhartha » January 22nd, 2006, 7:43 pm

Chapter 9 is in the can:

http://surly.org/librivox/anne_of_green_gables_09_montgomery.mp3

14:24
Recorded by Mark Bradford

Chapter 10 is recorded but needs editing, and will be forthcoming in a day or so.
This username is also my Gmail address.
"But if you've got a nuclear bomb, then you don't need the Jell-O!"

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 22nd, 2006, 7:52 pm

Thank you Squiddhartha. =)
~ Betsie

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 23rd, 2006, 2:56 pm

Chapter Update:

I've sent emails to everyone with outstanding chapters. I've had response from several people regarding their chapters and have marked those as pending in the first post of this thread...

The status on the following chapters is still unknown:

Chapter 15 - A Tempest in the School Teapot - jessie
Chapter 16 - Diana Is Invited to Tea with Tragic Results - jessie
Chapter 17 - A New Interest in Life - jessie

Chapter 36 - The Glory and the Dream - wiredgirl

Unfortunately, our mail server was down right after I emailed everyonee... so if you've emailed me and it bounced, please try again, or just post your progress as a reply to this thread. Our deadline is flexible, just let us know how it's going so that we can make arrangements =)
Last edited by thistlechick on January 30th, 2006, 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~ Betsie

osmia

Post by osmia » January 23rd, 2006, 6:02 pm

osmia - Chap. 23 - In progress. L O L - Don't move it to the "Orphaned" section!

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 23rd, 2006, 6:40 pm

No problem.. thank you Osmia =)

Enjoy =)
~ Betsie

emilystarr1

Post by emilystarr1 » January 25th, 2006, 11:23 pm

I hope this isn't frowned upon ... I just joined, and am very sorry if I'm doing anything wrong with this post ...

I just wanted to ask, if these chapters don't get done by those originally asking to do them, could I? Especially chapters 27 and 28. : )

Sorry to be a bug, I'm just an "Anne" and Lucy Maud Montgomery fanatic and would adore being part of this ...

Thank you!

ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc » January 25th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Welcome to LibriVox! Don't worry, asking is never frowned upon around this place. But such decisions are left to the book coordinator; thistlechick in this case.

Glad to have you aboard! I hope we'll hear your voice on many LibriVox recordings soon
-Chip
[url]http://ChipDoc.com/LibriVox/[/url]
[i]The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.[/i]
~Mark Twain

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 26th, 2006, 7:58 am

Welcome Emilystarr! =) Thank you so much for letting us know that you would like to help with this project. I'm sure we will be able to get a couple of chapters for you. I'm going to give our readers a few more days, but I'll let you know =)
~ Betsie

osmia

Post by osmia » January 26th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Emilystarr1 : )

Not one of the chapters you were especially asking after but "The Dare" - Chap 23 is now officially up for grabs as something's come up and I'm going to have to pass. It's one of my favourite chapters so here's hoping that you do it justice :)

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 26th, 2006, 8:34 pm

Osmia, thank you for the update... Real life is completely understandable. We look forward to hearing your voice on other projects in the future =)
~ Betsie

emilystarr1

Post by emilystarr1 » January 26th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Yay! Thank you for the welcomes, and thank you very much for the chapter - I'll take it! I'll do my best to do it justice. =)