COMPLETE [ROMANCE]The First Violin by Jessie Fothergill - ni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

The First Violin by Jessie Fothergill (1851-1891).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-first-violin-by-jessie-fothergill/
May Wedderburn is a quiet provincial girl, living in small and seemingly boring Skernford. Underneath the dull exterior, there is mystery, suspicion and fear in this little town, surrounding the austere local wealthy landowner who is very interested in marrying poor May. It looks as though she will have to marry him whether she likes it or not until an unsuspected alliance is formed between her and a respected old lady. They both escape to Germany where music and excitement await them.

• Target completion date: date 1.12.11.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): link http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29219.bibrec.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard, (delete as appropriate)

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 41
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1877
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1891
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================ [/size]

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of The First Violin. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by SandraG"
  • Say:
    "The First Violin, by Jessie Fothergill. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The First Violin by Jessie Fothergill. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by SandraG"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by SandraG, [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of [The First Violin], by [Jessie Fothergill]."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
firstviolin_##_fothergill.mp3

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Jessie Fothergill
Album: The First Violin

[*]Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: ni - neerajanagarajan
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

How did my thread end up at the bottom? It's an amazing book! There's love, misunderstandings, illness, sin... Come on! The main character is a soprano who falls in love with a violinist, they're both pretty poor but, as she's a lady's companion, she's a higher class than he is and he assumes she looks down on him, etc etc.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It dropped to the bottom because other threads got posted in. Have patience; this has only been up for a day. :wink:

I'm full up on MC projects, so I won't be picking this up.

However, a couple things:

We won't be able to use that introduction/summary in the catalog because it's probably copyrighted from the web site you used. Eventually you'll have to come up with a book description of your own, or maybe someone else (a DPL?) would be able to help you with one.

The file name should be just "firstviolin" since we drop leading articles.

Hold on. An MC will be along eventually - nothing has ever been abandoned due to not getting an MC! :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Thanks for the Advice Tricia. Patience? What's that? Lol!
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

I'll MC this for you, Sandra! Be right back with the magic window. :)

ETA - MW's up! I tweaked your first post just a little and changed your file name to firstviolin_##_fothergill. Hope that's OK with you. :)
Let's wait here for a couple days and see if we can snag a DPL.
Have fun with your solo! :D
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Thank you thank you thank you Neera for taking this book on! I won't be able to start recording for a bit but I'll keep you posted.

All the best,
Sandra.
neerajanagarajan

It's my pleasure, Sandra! I hope we get a DPL soon. :)
Have fun!
morrowka

Post by morrowka »

I would like to be the DPL on this project.
Kimberly Morrow
Metro Kansas City, USA
http://www.facebook.com/morrowka/
neerajanagarajan

Wonderful! I'll put you in as DPL. Thanks. :)
morrowka

Post by morrowka »

I would like to DPL this project.
Kimberly Morrow
Metro Kansas City, USA
morrowka

Post by morrowka »

Hello Neeru:

Per a private posting, I have been alerted to the fact that usually, the DPL assists with editing in the case of Sandra or any other blind/visually impaired reader. I volunteered earlier this afternoon to DPL this book for Sandra. There's just one catch: I'm blind as well. I just ordered an audio program called Studio Recorder that is supposedly 100% accessible. When I get up and running, I should be able to do my own editing. But that is a ways off--I work fulltime and I'm studying up on the program on weekends! So for now, someone else would need to do the actual edits per my DPL comments. If this is too much to ask, I'll be glad to forego DPL'ing for this project and choose something else.

Please let me know.

Kimberly
[quote="neerajanagarajan"]I'll MC this for you, Sandra! Be right back with the magic window. :)

ETA - MW's up! I tweaked your first post just a little and changed your file name to firstviolin_##_fothergill. Hope that's OK with you. :)
Let's wait here for a couple days and see if we can snag a DPL.
Have fun with your solo! :D[/quote]
Kimberly Morrow
Metro Kansas City, USA
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Oh Kim,
this is me you're talking to. Of course you don't have to edit anything. Your only job is to listen to me talk for hours!

All the best,
Sandra.
neerajanagarajan

Well, if you need any editing done, I'll be glad to help! :)
I had some trouble adding you to the database, Kim, so sorry for taking so long. Do you have a preference for a catalog name? Would you like to link your catalog page to a URL? Let me know!
Moving us to Going Solo...
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello Neera,
surprise, here's the first chapter! It needs editing and a lot of amplifying, (as all of my chapters do), but it's a start. I'll wait for possible editors before I start posting in different threads. My plan is to record as much as possible over the weekend but this book is very long. (I haven't finished reading it through myself yet), so it's going to be a few months before we can call it a wrap.

All the best,
Sandra.
neerajanagarajan

Hey Sandra!

Sweet!
Take your time! Would you like to post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted thread? :)