COMPLETE: Monday or Tuesday by Virginia Woolf - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Liz,

Chapter 4 PL OK

small note: Selections of over 30 minutes should have 10 seconds of silence at the end.
I copied the existing ending silence and added it back in to meet this requirement, then uploaded new file.

David O
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

LizMourant wrote:I've listened to the uploaded version of Chapter 2 (final chapter for me) and I DO NOT LIKE IT so PLEASE IGNORE!!! I will produce a "better version" however much I find the chapter difficult on a day when I haven't worn myself so thin already...

Thanks for your patience...I'm really pretty sure about this, quite certain actually. I tried to take it out of the MW and for some reason it did not erase! Well, look forward to a better version by the weekend I'd imagine...if not even perhaps a little earlier or later (not sure right now).

Thanks for all the help, confidence, and input,

Sincerely,

Liz :hmm:

(One chapter left to go!!! I'm happy with the rest of the book, V. Woolf, why oh why did you have to include the less concrete and pleasant foray that is Chapter 2?!!? Oh well !@#$@ I'm glad I got that out ;)
Liz,

That is quite a long chapter to re-record. What did you not like about the recording, is it possible to fix it by editing instead of recording?

David O
LizMourant

Post by LizMourant »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/mondayortuesday_02_woolf.mp3
31:14

David, (and Laurie Anne...of course! :)

I re-read the whole chapter, and there are small snags throughout, but the spirit of the reading is imo FARRR betteerrrr.

If the external sounds are really too distracting I'd like to hear about it, but, if instead there's a way of subduing some of the cut-pastes I had to place in, and a good soundcheck done on what doesn't appear to be all of one piece, I think that would be most important. I'm fond of this reading, and sadly it has more mic noise in a place or two than the other. Yes, it is and was long, so I would really like to make the best of this reading and fit it into the book if this is a possibility...I've heard that in Standard PL sounds if they are not terribly disorienting, can sometimes be overlooked/tolerated. I have a few stumbles, most I edited already, some I left for fear of making the thing sound WORSE due to how hard it is to re-record in such a lengthy piece and keep the pace I mostly kept. I did several pieces and stitched together as this is really one tough nut to crack. I hope it works out okay and that something can be done with the sound which I do not know about? I don't think it's overall terribly distracting, did a noise clean and normalized already (I believe). If I need to stitch the bits together again and there's something which can even the sound out, I'd be very happy to hear about it.

Thanks for everything David. I think this is really my final version here of Chapter 2! If so, I am happy to end my first solo foray and overall it was really rewarding and enjoyable; glad to have Laurie Anne and you onboard!

Liz
ecce deus fortior me qui veniens dominabitur mihi (La Vita Nuova, Dante Alligheri)
"behold a god more powerful than I who comes to rule over me...love."
LizMourant

Post by LizMourant »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/mondayortuesday_08_woolf.mp3
19:50

Here's the updated version of 08 which is now in the MW. As the last chapter, I added the "End of Monday or Tuesday by Virginia Woolf" to the end and stirred in a little more silence to try and make it ten seconds...

I think it was pretty clean when I read it through...hope so anyways!

Thanks David for the a-ok on Chapter 4.

We're really in the endzone now (I think, gulp) :thumbs:
ecce deus fortior me qui veniens dominabitur mihi (La Vita Nuova, Dante Alligheri)
LizMourant

Post by LizMourant »

Laurie Anne,

when you get time or have time let me know what comes next...supposing that Chapter 2 is "good enough" to fly...

Liz
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Liz,

Chapter is "Good Enough", as you put it. Your noise cleaning and volume control are greatly improved.

I tried to adjust the volume of a couple of your edits to more closely match.

Enjoy the finishing touches!!

P.S. Are you artistic enough to consider creating a CD cover for your book?

http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785 - for information on that subject
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Cataloging is complete:
http://librivox.org/monday-or-tuesday-by-virginia-woolf/

Congratulations, Liz! And thank you for your help, David!

Liz, I couldn't find the last paragraph of the summary on Wikipedia, so I took the liberty of adding your name to the summary credit. It's easy to change if I was wrong, just let me know. :)
Laurie Anne
LizMourant

Post by LizMourant »

David,

thanks so much for the idea of cover art. Actually, at the page where there are existing CD covers for Librivox, there is one which is called "Librivox English Classics" (I believe) with Woolf's profile mixed in with other English writers, all with a semi-transparency. It looks quite nice and would be a wonderful match!

Only I don't know how you affix one of these to a book??!!

I have also heard that one can gain "advertisement" for their reading through the Librivox "podcast," but don't know what terms there are or how one goes about trying to make their project a part of the podcast out of the gzillion projects which are equally good to better out there! I wish I could get "Monday or Tuesday" into that thread, but don't know how either. Laurie Anne? You do readings I think yourself, have you ever tried that?

I love the fact that it is catalogued...will it be available online at the Librivox "free audio" player for IPods and so on?

Well, I am excited and thrilled to have participated in such a great project as this. But I'm a Virginia Woolf fanatic and now am wondering about "re-reads," of her other early novels "Night and Day" and "The VOyage Out," likely as a "team effort" though I could make it a much longer solo project either. I just think the ones on offering are so much older, and could be spruced up now that we have so many capable readers who can really put their guts into it!! :)

Thanks so much everyone,

If only I drank champagne!

(Ps Laurie Anne the way you fixed the wikipedia article is fine by me...I think it is a pretty good intro :) :clap:
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Liz,

Laura has created a Librivox Catalog page showing information about your project (including a link to a page on Archive.org). The link to the catalog page can be found at the very top of the first page in every completed project.
Check it out http://librivox.org/monday-or-tuesday-by-virginia-woolf/ She has also moved this thread to "Completed Projects". These steps let folks know the audio files are available.

- - -
As I understand it, the Audiobook creation process has two major parts (Art & Audiobook). You can do these yourself or ask around in Librivox and try to find someone who is looking for inspiration and a project.

Art (see http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785)
Find image(s)
Modify as necessary (add Title, author, etc.)
Save image as 300x300 jpeg [for audiobook]
Save image and information as pdf [for CD cover]
upload files to archive
post to forum linked above and an Admin will link your art to the existing project catalog and archive pages

Audiobook (see http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28784)
Download audio files
Convert Mp3 files to AAC audio
Organize / rename chapters
Download art image
Add art to project
Build audiobook
upload files to archive
post to forum linked above and an Admin will link your audiobook to the existing project catalog and archive pages
- - -
I am not familiar with the podcast and promotion procedures.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

What David means by audiobook creation is m4b files, which are different than the files that we automatically include on our catalog pages. Volunteers in the thread that he linked combine all the chapter recordings into one big long file that is bookmarkable and has art attached, for listening/viewing on an iPod (my non-iPod mp3 player won't play these files though I think some others will). But if an m4b isn't made, iPod users and others can still download your files as mp3's as well as in a couple of other file formats from the Librivox catalog page. We do have volunteers who send new book information somehow to iTunes... I don't know the specifics because I don't use that service. Still other volunteers make CD cover art to be linked on the catalog page -- information is in the art thread that David linked. If you'd like to give it a go, instructions for making the CD cover and where to send it are in the first post of that thread. If you don't make one, someone else might. You never know what book will catch the eye of one of our CD cover makers. :) (Some of my solos have had beautiful CD covers made by other people, and I have done a few myself.)

Your book will be on the Librivox home page under "New Releases" for a few days until it's bumped off by more recently completed books. As for the podcasts, no one is producing them regularly at this time, but keep your eye on the 2011 Librivox Community Podcast thread in case someone says that he/she is planning to do one.
Laurie Anne
LizMourant

Post by LizMourant »

Thank you both! I do actually have the small "free audio" from Librivox app. on my Ipod and Iphone (not enough memory to add the files to Iphone though, I usually do that on Ipod ;)

I know it took months for "The Marble Faun" my virgin reading to post to the "Ipod" app. catalog for some reason...and of course right now, the "monday or Tuesday" is not yet up there, so my friends for example who use the Iphone/IPod other Mp3's can't access except through puter, which is for many of these working stiffs...a bridge too far!

Also, my partner/room-mate who is blind finds it an extra step more than she wants to take...going online and downloading then figuring how to get it into her Iphone!! She doesn't want to listen from a puter, but she is very spoiled as far as audiobooks go as her "Victorstreamer" allows her to bookmark audiobooks in MP3 format from "Library of Congress" audio/digital books in a close to Ipod sized specialized reader many blind persons use to peruse multiple Library of Congress offerings mostly; and then she has her audible account which she is also accustomed to. She is used to having everything smartphone size :)

Well, I will definately check into these links! The last podcast I saw looking that up was last year in June actually. So maybe these podcasts aren't kept up with so often as they might be...wonder who coordinates that? Hmm.

Interesting stuff!

I'd LOVE if someone would make a CD cover-art available for Monday or Tuesday but like Laurie Anne says, while she lucked out on some of her work, apparently it is sort of "by chance" that an artist picks something up I suppose?

LIke I said, the one that has already been used however...for British Fiction or what have you has a fine feel with somewhat transparent overlapping profiles and faces of the British literati, from Oscar Wilde to Virginia Woolf and would not be bad in a pinch!

I'll have to do the research on all this spread out amidst other reading projects I am promised to now.

Btw,
mariegriffiths

Post by mariegriffiths »

Are you guys working on Orlando as that is out of copyright next year?
Can you work on works, but not publish before that date? Newbie question.