Complete: The Man Who Knew Too Much by Chesterton - AF/ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
12makoto

Post by 12makoto »

Excellent Martin! I saw it pop-up in my pocast and thought I'd pop-in to let you know that I've proof listened to 1-4 already and both are ready to roll, I'll continue on and try to finish soon if life would quit interrupting, but don't let me stop you from posting for more readers for the last half to get it finished quicker.

So far, excellent ^_^

Sean
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ListOfReadersCatalogNames]Sean's Catalog Info[/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/SeanMcKinley]Sean's Projects[/url]
martinc

Post by martinc »

Rainer

The only confirmed listening has been Sean on chapters 1-4 (see above - thanks Sean)

There may be others, but chances are they will also have started at the beginning - I guess it would be sensible to post it for proof listening, at very least so as not to put Sean under pressure

Martin
12makoto

Post by 12makoto »

5 & 6 are great too!

FYI, I've just been doing standard-not-reading-along proof-listening. I'll try to get to the last 2 this weekend (hopefully tomorrow).

Sean
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ListOfReadersCatalogNames]Sean's Catalog Info[/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/SeanMcKinley]Sean's Projects[/url]
raynr

Post by raynr »

Oh, no pressure on Sean, but I think he will finish to listen to the book before anyone notices the thread in the "listeners wanted section" :wink:
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
martinc

Post by martinc »

Great stuff Sean

Martin
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Ah, Martin, what a pleasure this series of stories has been! How sad, how sad ... to reach the end. Through Father Brown, and through the Man Who Knew Too Much, Chesterton has such a different spin on the gray areas of guilt and justice. Sad, sad.

Wonderful reading!
I listened entirely for pleasure and can't recall in which file I heard a single repeat somewhere. (It may not have been in this series!)
I enjoyed the ease of being served through the podcast Very Much!

May I urge you to lay claim to one of the characters in Romeo and Juliet? (See Dramatic Works) Kristin (Eliza in Pygmalion) and ThePoet are searching for cast there.
Anita
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Anita,

does this mean that the prooflistening is complete and that you are also a fan of Martin?
How about writing a little summary as a little payment for the exclusive prelistening of this book? :wink:
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Ah Rainer, I have to move this month and haven't the wits to write a summary. :( As mentioned in my earlier post, I listend purely for pleasure, and I *think* I heard a repeat in one of the last few stories, but I didn't note which file or where in the file, and I may have mixed it up with another story entirely. This listener laziness of mine is partly being unaccustomed to listening on a little mp3 player while strolling or at the gym, etc. etc., I haven't quite worked out the logistics of making proper prooflistening notes.

I am certainly also a fan of Martin C! :D
Anita
martinc

Post by martinc »

I tried really hard to avoid repeats (which has been a fault in the past) by listening twice to each chapter, although I admit that my mind may have wandered (even I can get too much of the sound of my own voice!) perhaps Sean will let us know if he spots anything in the last two chapters.

I will provide a summary shortly

Martin
martinc

Post by martinc »

Will this do as an introduction/summary:
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was an influential and prolific English writer of the early 20th century. He was a journalist, a poet and a novelist. He wrote 80 books and 200 short stories in addition to his other work. He is perhaps best remembered for his ‘Father Brown’ stories; two collections of which are available at Librivox.org.
‘The Man Who Knew Too Much’ has some similarities to the Father Brown stories: Horne Fisher the eponymous hero is connected and indeed related to many of the high-ranking politicians of his age and thus ‘knows too much’ about the background of the mysteries in which he becomes embroiled and which he unravels.

Martin
raynr

Post by raynr »

Thanks Martin,

your summary is great, thanks a lot. I'm listening to this book right now, too. I will let you know if there are repeats in the chapters, otherwise it will be in the catalogue in the next few days. Great work!

Rainer
12makoto

Post by 12makoto »

Sorry it took awhile to get back. But apparently I downloaded the wrong chapters at my apartment and the forums being down on Saturday and the fact that I'm subscribed to the podcast at work didn't lend to well to finishing the work over the weekend. Seeing Anita's post, I wanted to spend enough time on the last 2 chapters and read through with them to make sure I caught any repeats on those. The only note I came up is below for Chapter 7:

2:44 Not detrimental, but there's a hard edit connecting ...Ashton Fisher... with the word before it, but there is nothing lost in the edit.

Also, great pronounciation on the French text, Martin!

Sean
martinc

Post by martinc »

Thanks again Sean

I have a real problem with occasional hard edits - the solution, of course, is not to edit through a dense piece of speech - I constantly try, but fail, to start a repeat trhough a gap in the text - I guess (and hope) that practice will make perfect

Advice from anyone how to improve this sort of edit would be most welcome

Martin
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

martinc wrote:Thanks again Sean

I have a real problem with occasional hard edits - the solution, of course, is not to edit through a dense piece of speech - I constantly try, but fail, to start a repeat trhough a gap in the text - I guess (and hope) that practice will make perfect

Advice from anyone how to improve this sort of edit would be most welcome

Martin
Hi Martin, I've noticed frm my editing help, that if readers mess up and repeat either the whole sentance or begin at words like "and" "or" etc or at commas, there always seems to be a big enough gap to do a nice edit. I hope this helps. Of course it makes for a longer unedited recording but its worth it when it comes to doing the editing. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
martinc

Post by martinc »

Starlite

I try to start again at sentence level but for some reason don't always manage - 'and' and 'or' are excellent suggestions - I shall try this from now on

Thanks a lot for the idea

Martin