(OPEN) Piano and Song by Friedrich Wieck-neb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Piano and Song by Friedrich Wieck(1785-1873) [Translated by Mary P. Nichols] (Birth and Death Dates of Translator).

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded from the catalog page: http://librivox.org/piano-and-song-by-wieck-friedrich/
This book talks about teaching, learning and performing on the piano in a delightful style, alternating between conversation and instruction. As he was the father of Clara Schumann and Robert Schumann's teacher, need I say more? (Summary by SandraG)

1. Is there a deadline?

We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 31.12.11. DD.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): Link http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16658
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter/character.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name]. (if you are reading a drama part)

If you are reading a normal chapter or are the narrator for one of the dramatic sections, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Chapter [#] of [Piano and Song], by [Friedrich Wieck]. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter [#]. At the end of the book, add End of Piano and Song, by Friedrich Wieck.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 :
    pianoandsong_role_##_wieck.mp3 (all lower-case) if you have a drama part (## is the number of the chapter).
    pianoandsong_##_wieck.mp3 (all lower-case) if you have a normal chapter (## is the number of the chapter).

ID3 V2 tags:

Not needed for individual parts.

For "normal" chapters:
    Title: ## - section title (This can be copied/pasted from the MW)
    Artist: Friedrich Wieck
    Album: Piano and Song
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      NB, if you are blind or partially sighted, PM me and I will give you the username and password in a text format.

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: neb-neckertb
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Sandra7 on January 31st, 2011, 8:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi Sandra

I have looked for the birth and death dates of the translator and did not find anything.
The first publication date seems to be 1875, so it is PD for everyone, and the dates for the translator don't matter.
I'll MC this for you and set up the window in a bit.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Oh Nadine, thank you so much! I couldn't find Mary's dates either but I thought that was because I'm not a hard core researcher. I couldn't find a link to this book in wikipedia, although that's less important.

Algy just wrote to me, you know? He's interested in the book and gave me an idea for it about kind of dramatising the conversational bits. What do you think?
All the best,
Sandra.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

All set! I just added the first name of the author to the ID tag template.
Let's see if we get a DPL :D
Nadine

Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello again,
chapters one, two, four, seven, ten and fourteen read like a play. What do you think? Could we cope with dramatising those parts of it?
alan1405

Post by alan1405 »

I would volunteer for a part:)
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Alan, thank you. I listened to a bit of your voice in the play you're in. Very nice and expressivve.

Yay, I've got two people signed up. Nadine, don't worry about the dpling, I'll do that myself. If we go down the dramatising rout, will we have to find someone to splice the parts together?

All the best,
Sandra.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I'll need to have a closer look at the text, I'll do that tonight.
You might convince me to edit the parts together. I'm not an expert at this, but I have BCed one French drama so it will be my second try.
I'll sign you up as DPL then, Sandra.
Nadine

alan1405

Post by alan1405 »

great:)
just read it. not quite like my music lessons lol
alan1405

Post by alan1405 »

what do we need to get this going sandra?
I could more than one thing ok
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello Alan,
thanks for writing back and sticking with it. I'm looking for narrators, (one or more likely two or three). As you know, most of the book reads like a book, while the rest is a play script, (which would need narrating). Taking my advertiser's hat off, it's a lot of work for one person. Would you be happy taking on the narrator for the play script part? (Can you keep up that brilliant expressiveness I know you've got)?

All the best,
Sandra.
alan1405

Post by alan1405 »

would love to:)
you choose whatever you would like to me to do and I will be more than happy ok.

thank you
alan
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Thanks Alan,
I'm glad. I have to find narrators by next weekend, otherwise it turns into a pumpkin ha ha ha! (Well, it'll remain as it is and be read like a normal book with people reading the different chapters.

Do you know any other librivoxers looking for parts? Really big parts I mean.I've been posting like a maniac but haven't had any responses.

All the best,
Sandra.
alan1405

Post by alan1405 »

ill keep looking, its a shame because this book does make nice reading.

fingers crossed :D
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

I'm hopeful though because it'll be easier now that I have the play script side wrapped up. Thanks again. Algy likes the sound of the main male role as well. The chunky book part can be split again between two or three people. I'm thinking of casting myself as the three girlies but that could change again if other people show some interest.

All the best,
Sandra.