[COMPLETE] How to Appreciate Music by Gustav Kobbé - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
xero

Post by xero »

Hi Patrick, I'm DPL for this book. I just clicked Admin Link below the magic window in order to change 'PL needed' to 'PL OK,' but a message said that I'm not allowed. Please let the appropriate person know that you've chosen me to be DPL so I can get access to change the magic window. Thanks--

xero
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

I will let Availle know.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

DONE! You should be able to enter things into the MW now. :D

Sorry for being so slow, it's quite chaotic around here... :?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

I was sent these PL notes for sections 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16. I slimmed them down a little bit so that they could be posted in one topic.

Section 9

02:45- mispronounces "suites"
04:31- says "instruments" but book says "interest"
12:19- skips the words "Following Beethoven"
20:35- mispronounces "tuttis"

This reader is very good- she reads slowly and annunciates very well. She has a light German accent, so the two mispronounciations are caused by English not being her first language. There are more mispronounciations, but I didn't list them because it's obvious from the context what is meant- for example, she pronounces "bass" with a short 'a,' like the fish, rather than with a long 'a,' like the instrument. I listed only the two mispronounciations that will cause the listener to wonder what the word is. Her pronounciation of composers' names and foreign words is wonderful, probably because she grew up in Europe.

Section 10

In the intro he says twice that the book's title is "How to Appreciate and Understand Music," but the title is "How to Appreciate Music."

00:27- doesn't read the heading of the section "Instruments of the Orchestra"
02:19- skips an entire sentence- "This is an admirable example of what technique accomplishes in the hands of a genius."
08:11- skips the end of the sentence that comes after the
word "progressed"
10:02- skips 20 words after the word "Symphonies"
12:40- doesn't read the heading 'A Passage in "Die Walkure"'

Considering that he says the title wrong twice and skips entire sentences and large parts of sentences, I think he used a source different from the one to which you provide a link on your Project Thread page.

He must not know much about classical music, because he almost always mispronounces composers' names and musical words and words in other languages. I didn't list them because there are just so many, and listeners who know about music should be able to figure out what is meant. Unfortunately, listeners who don't know about music will probably pick up his poor pronounciations. If you know about music, just start listening anywhere and you'll hear it quickly.

Section 12

This is the same reader as Section 3, which is the one I PLed yesterday and sent you a long list of problems. He has the same problems in this section as he did in Section 3- unintelligible words, mispronounciations, running sentences together, speaking so quickly that he's hard to understand- but this time I only listed the ones that will cause confusion to listeners.

03:00- says "over" but book has "ever"
04:12- says "two" but book has "not"
18:19- "beauty" is unintelligible

Section 13

00:25- doesn't read the heading of the section "A Note on Chamber Music"

Great reader, no mistakes at all, has a light English accent, reads very slowly, annunciates well and pronounces musical words correctly.

Section 15

05:06- background noise after "reverentially"
13:39- "This is especially true of the prophet himself" gets repeated

Section 16

This is the same reader as Section 9, and she does just as well here. A few slight mispronounciations, but nothing serious enough to cause confusion to listeners.

This section has musical examples written out in the book, and she plays these on her piano- you can hear them at 19:10, 20:06, 20:55, 21:22, 23:12, 23:28, 23:47, 24:24, 25:06. I like this, and recommend that you keep them in.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for the PL notes and the kind words, I'll try to get the stuff fixed asap.

Small note though: I don't play the piano, I stole the music from the gutenberg book... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Availle wrote: Small note though: I don't play the piano, I stole the music from the gutenberg book... :wink:
I wasn't sure about that one. I didn't think you would have done that :D
Patrick

prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

I have uploaded the introduction. I was having a few problems with sound spikes. Let me know if you think they are to distracting.
Patrick

Latimer

Post by Latimer »

Thanks for your comments DPL. It was only a very short chapter but neverless an encouraging start for this new boy :).
Here is the file with the correction:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/howtoappreciatemusic_13_kobbe.mp3
Duration: 6:56

I also uploaded chapter 8 a few days ago (see last message on page 5) but have not yet seen any reaction... (I just mention it. Perhaps people are too busy...)

Regards,
Dick Summerfield.
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Thank you for the chapter. Thank you also for pointing out my mistake. :roll:
Patrick

xero

Post by xero »

Hi Patrick, I'm DPL for this book. I've had an unexpected emergency and won't be able to be DPL any longer. Please remove me as DPL, sorry--
xero
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Thanks for letting me know. Hope your able to help out in other ways.
Patrick

anne21

Post by anne21 »

I've just managed to check in and have noted the PL notes on my section. Do you want me to try and fix these and re-upload the file? I'm not sure why there should be so much background noise. It may have been the television being on in the next room affecting the quality of the recording.

Anne
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Yes, please do.
Patrick

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

xero removed as DPL.

BTW, could anyone in the know please tell me how to correct my two mispronounciations of section 9? :?

I have the word SUITES in "while Bach was weaving and plaiting the counterpoint of his suites, partitas and Well-Tempered Clavichord". I pronounced it in the French way (like you'd pronounce a hotel suite, same idea). I don't think it should be pronounced like suit (the thing to wear), but I have no idea about any other way.

Also, I cannot find the word TUTTIS, in "the occasional use of other instruments of noise to strengthen the tuttis." I'm not sure what it means, so I pronounced it the Italian way (tutti frutti anyone?)...

I'd appreciate some help here! :help:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Those are both the way I have heard those words. I believe they should be right. I would just leave them as is.
Patrick