[COMPLETE] Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon by W. Irving - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ashleyspence

Post by ashleyspence » December 1st, 2010, 8:07 am

The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. by Washington Irving (1783 - 1859).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-sketch-book-of-geoffrey-crayon-gent-by-washington-irving/

(This is a solo project converted into a group project. Ashleyspence is still the BC.)
Apart from "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" — the pieces which made both Irving and The Sketch Book famous — other tales include "Roscoe", "The Broken Heart", "The Art of Book-making", "A Royal Poet", "The Spectre Bridegroom", "Westminster Abbey", "Little Britain", and "John Bull". His stories were highly influenced by German folktales, with "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" being inspired by a folktale recorded by Karl Musäus. Stories range from the maudlin (such as "The Wife" and "The Widow and Her Son") to the picaresque ("Little Britain") and the comical ("The Mutability of Literature"), but the common thread running through The Sketch Book — and a key part of its attraction to readers — is the personality of Irving's pseudonymous narrator, Geoffrey Crayon. Erudite, charming, and never one to make himself more interesting than his tales, Crayon holds The Sketch Book together through the sheer power of his personality — and Irving would, for the rest of his life, seamlessly enmesh Crayon's persona with his own public reputation. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2012-Apr-30.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2048
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    adventure, fantasy, fiction, horror-ghost-stories, humor, myths-legends, short-stories

Keywords that describe the book:
    Librivox; audiobook; fiction; short stories; The Voyage; Roscoe; The Wife; Rip Van Winkle; English Writers on America; Rural Life in England; The Broken Heart; The Art of Book-Making; A Royal Poet; The Country Church; The Widow and Her Son; The Boar's Head Tavern
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gentleman. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gentleman, by Washington Irving. [Section title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gentleman, by Washington Irving. "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    geoffreycrayon_##_irving.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. geoffreycrayon_01_irving.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Washington Irving
    Album: The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by ashleyspence on December 1st, 2010, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashley Spence~ “The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries.”
- René Descartes

ashleyspence

Post by ashleyspence » December 1st, 2010, 2:48 pm

I am really excited about doing this one, so if someone could MC it, I would be really happy :)

Cheers,

Ash
Ashley Spence~ “The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries.”
- René Descartes

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 1st, 2010, 3:59 pm

My MC cup is overflowing but there is no reason why you can't start reading while waiting till someone has time to take you on. However I can't see any signs that you have done a test , so maybe you need to get your technical bits checked out - it would be annoying to say the least if you couldn't use the recordings because something was wrong that was easily fixed.
The template looks OK - except the text link doesn't work , and we ask for the link to be to the E-Text so that the proof listener can choose what format they download.

Anne

ashleyspence

Post by ashleyspence » December 1st, 2010, 4:36 pm

Thank you Anne for pointing out that the link didn't work; I have fixed it now :) As for the 1 minute test, I am in the process of doing it. I will definitely begin recording asap, and wait until an MC picks up the project. I also had a question, how does one become an MC?

Cheers,

Ashley Spence

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » December 1st, 2010, 5:00 pm

Hi Ashley,

MCs are all on the Admin/Moderator team. Some info here:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_LibriVox_Works#Meta_Coordinator
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

neckertb

Post by neckertb » December 2nd, 2010, 1:23 am

kayray wrote:Hi Ashley,

MCs are all on the Admin/Moderator team. Some info here:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_LibriVox_Works#Meta_Coordinator
That page looks like it's needing some updating...
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 4th, 2010, 11:50 am

OK, I'll MC this for you. I'll DPL it, too, if that's OK with you. Be back with the Magic Window.

Edit: Magic window up, and a PM sent with your MW login and link to instructions. :)

I've put in the first couple section titles in the MW for you, so you can see how to put them in. Holler if you have any questions.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Psychological Warfare: HERE
Thrift, by Samuel Smiles HERE

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 4th, 2010, 11:58 am

Two questions:

1. Are you going to read the title as "gent" or as "gentleman"?
2. Your target completion date: is that January 12 or December 1?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 4th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Questions answered via PM. :wink:

Moving to Going Solo!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 15th, 2011, 10:58 am

Hey, Ashley! Haven't heard from you in about 1.5 months. How is it going? From the first post:

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

ashleyspence

Post by ashleyspence » February 16th, 2011, 8:44 am

Hi Tricia,

I'm still in the recording process, and have yet to upload anything as my internet connection is really slow, and the files are rather large. I get really frustrated when it takes 1 hour + to upload something! Lol. I'll try to get a couple of them uploaded by this weekend.

Ash
- René Descartes

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 16th, 2011, 9:32 am

Thank you for the update. :)

I say, find your self a free wi-fi hotspot and a laptop, and upload a whole bunch of files. LOL!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 5th, 2011, 1:23 pm

It's been almost 3 months since your last update, Ashley. Time flies!

Any chance of getting your files?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 22nd, 2011, 6:07 pm

As per PM, the original soloist is converting this into a group project and will BC. I'm now looking for a DPL. :)

bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 » June 22nd, 2011, 9:32 pm

Hello Trisha,

May I please read:

Sec Title

01 - Author's Account of Himself

13 - A Sunday in London

17 - The Inn Kitchen