[COMPLETE] Of the Shortness of Life by Seneca - cm

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Jonathan. That sounds much better now.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
jhockey

Post by jhockey »

Hi, I've completed the second part, a few plosives but less and less from one chapter to the next as I made little adjustments

url= http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cm/OftheShortnessofLife6-10_jh_Seneca.mp3
duration= 16m27s

Jonathan
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks again.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
jhockey

Post by jhockey »

Hi, just uploaded the third section, I may have the last section completed by the end of the week,

url= http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cm/OftheShortnessofLife11-15_jh_Seneca.mp3

Duration= 19m37s

Jonathan
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Look forward to it.

Thanks Jonathan.
jhockey

Post by jhockey »

Hi, I've finished the final section, any problems to be rectified then let me know,

url= http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cm/OftheShortnessofLife16-20_jh_Seneca.mp3
duration=15m16s

thanks for the help during the recording, its been a good learning experience, look forward to doing some more recordings soon,

Jonathan
Pirvonen

Post by Pirvonen »

Hallo! If you are still looking for a DPL, I am ready to consider trying that facet of LVing, too.

//Pirvo
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Feel free Pirvo. The sections are not long, so it would probably make a good shallow-end introduction to PL-ing.

Have a look at this wiki before you begin: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners

Cheers,
Carl.
Pirvonen

Post by Pirvonen »

PL notes

General

# Volume level
I am sorry to report that after all the work you have done on the level, these are still uncomfortably soft. The scale of the volume setting on my MP3 listening device goes from 0 to 50. In a quiet room I usually listen to books on volume setting 15 to 18. Of this work, the first file had to be taken to 30, the rest to 25. The files would really benefit from amplification.

# ID3 tags
On one mode of listings, my MP3 device shows the sections in the inconvenient order of "Chapters 1 to 5", "Chapters 11 to 15", "Chapters 16 to 20", and "Chapters 6 to 10" -- that is, in alphabetical order. It seems that setting the track number does _not_ override the sorting by title in all cases.

# File names
I have been told that the software that shuttles the audio files between the different processes and services, from LV to archive.org and back, doesn't like uppercase letters in file names. The file names here are of the form "OftheShortnessofLife1-5_jh_Seneca"; beautifully human-readable, but not exactly according to what I have been taught about LV.

Carl, I believe you can confirm or refute my concern on the ID3 and filename format issues, and arrange for some additional amplification on the final compilation phase?

In the following the "PL OK" is conditional on the need for additional work for the issues listed above.

Specifics

# Chapters 1 through 5.
3:08 Ch II - minor stumble "some care for no object sufficiently"
7:06 Ch III - a stumble/slur that makes comprehension difficult. "...and your spirit did not quail"

Recommend edit

# Chapters 6 through 10

On my other headphones the microphone puffs are a bit startling in the first, on the other not so much. In both cases, one quickly ceases to notice them.

6:03 Ch VII - slurred word that my hearing stuck on so that I missed a few more words "... another is an advocate"
Recommend edit

# Chapters 11 through 15

11:12 Ch XIV minor stumble "...war between such different creatures..."
PL OK

# Chapters 16 through 20

PL OK

- o -

//P
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks.

I can sort out the ID3 and filename issues during cataloguing. I should also be able to sort out the volume issues.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I've given the files a nip and tuck so that they should be ready for cataloguing now.