[complete; FICTION] The Cossacks by Leo Tolstoy - lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Shipley

Post by Shipley » November 15th, 2010, 7:31 pm

The Cossacks by Leo Tolstoy. (1828-1910). [Translated by Louise and Aylmer Maude (1855-1939 and 1858-1938 respectively)]

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-cossacks-by-leo-tolstoy/
The Cossacks (1863) is an unfinished novel which describes the Cossack life and people through a story of Dmitri Olenin, a Russian aristocrat in love with a Cossack girl. This text was acclaimed by Ivan Bunin as one of the finest in the language.
THERE ARE SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH THE PROJECT GUTENBERG TEXT OF CHAPTERS 24, 29 AND 32. IF INVOLVED WITH ANY OF THESE CHAPTERS, PLEASE SEE MY POSTS OF NOVEMBER 27 AND DECEMBER 3 BELOW. ALL OTHER CHAPTERS HAVE BEEN CHECKED AND FOUND FREE FROM SERIOUS ERRORS.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 28 February 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4761
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Cossacks. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Cossacks, by Leo Tolstoy. [Translated by Louise and Aylmer Maude]. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Cossacks, by Leo Tolstoy. [Translated by Louise and Aylmer Maude]."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    cossacks_##_tolstoy.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. cossacks_01_tolstoy.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Leo Tolstoy
    Album: The Cossacks

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Shipley on December 3rd, 2010, 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lezer

Post by lezer » November 15th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Hello Shipley,
All set with MW - have to rush now, will be back in the evening if there are any more questions or things (my evening that is, so in 12 hours time or so).
Anna
Anna

Shipley

Post by Shipley » November 16th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Word counts posted for all Sections. I do not propose to prepare Google docs of the Sections, since the Gutenberg text appears straightforward. I will deal with the two problematic chapters when we get round to recording them.

I believe we are now ready for claims. To get things moving, I have assigned myself Sections 28-32. A DPL is still needed.

Regards,
David

lezer

Post by lezer » November 16th, 2010, 11:44 pm

Great! Well, they are all small chapters, so seems very straightforward. I haven't looked at the text yet. Any complicated Russian names that you might want to propose a pronunciation for or anything?
Anna

wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper » November 17th, 2010, 4:11 am

I would love to DPL this project!

Wendel
Wendel

Truth is the daughter of time, and I feel no shame in being her midwife. - Johannes Kepler

Shipley

Post by Shipley » November 17th, 2010, 7:01 am

Dear Wendel:

Thank you for volunteering as DPL. Our MC will have to enter you formally in the Magic Window. However, you are very welcome to start the job "unofficially" at once. Please feel free to PL the three Sections already recorded; there is no hurry as I shall not be able to start on any new Sections for a couple of weeks.

Regards,
David

Dear Anna:

Now that we have a DPL, I assume you will be moving this project to "Readers Wanted" in the near future. I must confess I had not thought about the problem of Russian names, and it may be a problem since many of the names may not be "Russian" in the strict sense; given the location of the story, there may well be Armenian, Georgian and Azerbaijani names mixed in. I will try to scan the text in the near future and post if necessary.

Regards,
David

lezer

Post by lezer » November 17th, 2010, 11:30 am

Great - the working team is complete! Moving to Readers Wanted.

About the names: well, just the names of the main characters would be good to have some guidance on. Readers may be hesitant to join a group project if uncertain about these things. But you know all about that with your Russian projects experience :)
Anna

wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper » November 18th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Sections 23, 25, 26, 27 - PL OK

Unsure about titles for the files... The are named as follows:

01-23
1-25

Instructions say: ##-(Section Title) ??

Please advise. Thanks!
Wendel

Truth is the daughter of time, and I feel no shame in being her midwife. - Johannes Kepler

Shipley

Post by Shipley » November 18th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Dear Wendel:

Thank you for drawing attention to the file naming problem. Now that you have noted the problem, I believe we can leave it to our MC to rename the files back to the correct scheme.

I have updated the Magic Window to reflect your PL'ing of these four Sections. However, I assume you know that you should have access to the MW to do this yourself; if you do not have such access, please post here or send lezer a PM and I'm sure it will be arranged promptly.

Regards,
David

lezer

Post by lezer » November 18th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Yes, thanks for the note about the incorrect titles - I will be able to correct them at the time of cataloguing - I'll keep my eye on them then.
(there's even a button in the cataloguing software that transfers the title field to the ID3 title tag for each section so I've updated the MW with the title fields already at this point).

Anna
Anna

wendeltopper

Post by wendeltopper » November 19th, 2010, 7:07 pm

David and Anna -

My pleasure... I do have access to the MW and I will update as needed for PL. Looking forward to more sections!
Wendel

Shipley

Post by Shipley » November 22nd, 2010, 7:53 pm

Sections 28, 30 and 31 have been uploaded as follows, and the MW updated accordingly:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/cossacks_28_tolstoy.mp3

11:03 minutes
10.61 MB

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/cossacks_30_tolstoy.mp3

6:32 minutes
6.26 MB

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/cossacks_31_tolstoy.mp3

7:08 minutes
6.85 MB.

Section 29 is on hold for the moment; like Section 24 a large chunk of text is missing from the middle of the Chapter. All of the on-line versions that I have been able to locate (about six) suffer from the same two omissions, and obviously all are derived ultimately from the Project Gutenberg text. I have ordered a hard copy of this translation through our local library interloan system, and will deal with Sections 24 and 29 once this hard copy is received.

Section 32 is already recorded but not yet edited. However, since there is little point in uploading these short Sections singly, I have assigned myself the additional Sections 33 and 34. Please do not expect any more Sections for about two weeks, as I have to keep my Captain Cook solo under (steerage) way.

Regards,
David
Last edited by Shipley on November 23rd, 2010, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

lezer

Post by lezer » November 23rd, 2010, 12:46 am

That would be great, if you could check it with a hard-copy.
I'd like to claim two sections, myself, if I may? Section 39 and 40 perhaps?
Anna
Anna

Shipley

Post by Shipley » November 23rd, 2010, 8:44 am

Dear Anna:

Sections 39 and 40 have been assigned to you as per your request. Thanks!

Regards,
David

Shipley

Post by Shipley » November 27th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Further to my post of November 22, I have now procured, via inter-library loan, a copy of the "Everyman's Library" (1994) edition of this work and have prepared corrected texts of Chapters 24 and 29. These corrections have already been reported to Project Gutenberg via their usual error-reporting E-mail address, but since I do not have much hope of PG correcting the existing text within the next few weeks, I have also prepared public Google documents as follows:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByJNmHuyM7xeZWRhMGFhMGYtNDMyZC00ZjEzLTg3ZDYtM2ZhM2ZmM2EyYzc0&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

PDF file of title page, reverse title page and Chapters 24 and 29

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByJNmHuyM7xeMjAyNWE2MzAtYWNhNi00MTBmLWI5NGEtMDI5YWU1OWYyMDcx&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

ASCII text of Chapter 24 - missing passage marked within "<<<. . .>>>"

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByJNmHuyM7xeODRjMWI4YjEtMDM2Ni00N2U3LTk5MDYtZTNlN2E5NDI4YTA5&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

ASCII text of Chapter 29 - Ditto

The lengths of both Chapters have also been corrected in the MW.

Since I have already recorded most of Chapter 29, it appears most convenient for me to handle both the "corrected" Chapters, and I have therefore assigned myself the additional Section 24.

Regards,
David