This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:
This collection is dedicated to recordings of short nonfiction works on any topic in English.
Please select and record any short essay or other nonfiction piece in the public domain. Try to stick to works that run less than 60 minutes. You are welcome to contribute as many as you wish, and there is no need to "sign-up" before recording...as long as the work is clearly in the public domain, just start recording. Multiple versions are always welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your selection already; we're happy to hear your version too.
After 15 recordings are submitted, we will prooflisten, catalog and make them available to the public.
Basic Recording Guide: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
- Be sure to set your recording software to: 44100Hz, 16-bit
- At the BEGINNING Say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
- At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
- If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."
- Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording or 10 seconds if longer than 30 minutes.
- Need noise-cleaning?Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear distracting background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The free beta version 1.3.x of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide. Note: Noisecleaning with other versions of Audacity is not recommended.
- Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kpbs using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
- File Name: (all lower case. Please omit a, the, etc from title): snf020_titleofwork_authorlastname_readersinitials.mp3
- ID3 Tags:
- • Title/Name: [Title]
• Artist: [Author Name]
• Album: LibriVox Nonfiction Collection Vol. 020
- • Title/Name: [Title]
Please upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy to post in this thread):
If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: jo - knotyouraveragejo.
*If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
4. POST the following information in this thread:
- • The link you copied from the uploader to your file
• Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg etext url)
• Length in minutes and size in MB of your file
• If this is your first Librivox recording, I will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalog page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalog page.
Want to see if what you plan to record has been done already?
Search by keywords in the Catalog Search
But don't let this stop you from recording your own version!
(BC admin link)
(PL = Proof-Listening; PLC = Proof-listening Complete; PL OK = ready to catalog)
**Please note that the recordings in this collection will appear in the catalog in alphabetical order by title, although they will be initially entered into the magic window in the order they are submitted.