[COMPLETE] Concept of Nature, By Alfred N Whitehead - NF/ad

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ab2525

Post by ab2525 » July 18th, 2006, 8:03 pm

This project has been revived on Oct 18, 2008

The Concept of Nature by Alfred North Whitehead (1861-1947)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-concept-of-nature-by-alfred-north-whitehead/ - catalogued on Oct 22, 2008

Volunteers outside the USA: Alfred North Whitehead died in 1947. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are up for grabs. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    October 31, 2008
    If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18835
    Please use the HTML version (not the text version) so that symbols are preserved. --ad
  5. Please claim section numbers (the number in the first column below)!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Concept of Nature, by Alfred North Whitehead. [Section]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Section]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Title, by Author."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    conceptofnature_##_whitehead.mp3 , all lower-case, where ## is the blue number above. (conceptofnature_01_whitehead.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use � if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ##-[Section title]
    Artist: Alfred North Whitehead
    Album: The Concept of Nature

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
  9. Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ad - a.r.dobbs
  10. If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :D
Last edited by ab2525 on July 14th, 2007, 9:06 pm, edited 13 times in total.
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 18th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Hey ab2525!

Could you tell a little about this book and why you're starting it up? That's not a requirement, just a point of curiosity. Congratulations on boldly starting another collaboration so quickly.

--Anita
Anita

Gesine

Post by Gesine » July 19th, 2006, 12:04 am

Hi ab2525 - thanks for starting another project, but make sure you don't overload yourself! Book Coordination can get quite involved and may take more time then you anticipated... :)

Just one suggestion: you could shorten the name of the author in the filename to just the last name, and chop the title slightly:
conceptofnature_##_whitehead.mp3 :) Otherwise looks great! An MC will be around shortly to work with you on this.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

ab2525

Post by ab2525 » July 19th, 2006, 5:49 am

a. r. dobbs, it sounded like a cool book.
Gesine, I will.
Last edited by ab2525 on July 22nd, 2006, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 21st, 2006, 11:12 pm

ab2525/Alex, how would it be with you if I MC this project for you?

I'll put this on the To Come list for non-fiction.
I've added my initials and NF to the project title line.

I have a question for you about the long chapters, so I'll send a PM.
Will you read, too? I hope so. I'd like to read for this project, but first I need to finish a few other things before claiming a section here.

--Anita
Anita

ab2525

Post by ab2525 » July 22nd, 2006, 4:55 am

I'll try...but my throat has been killing me!!!

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 22nd, 2006, 7:32 am

ab2525 wrote:I'll try...but my throat has been killing me!!!
Ow. Well please don't try till it feels less murderous! No killing rush. :)

It's traditional for the BC to choose the Intro and/or his favorite chapter/section in the whole book and sometimes the closing. By "traditional" I mean, "I'm pretty sure I saw someone do it that way once."

Have you decided how to break the chapters into smaller sections? These are (I'm guessing based on experience) probably 2.5 hours each. So maybe if each is chopped into thirds? Maybe even into quarters? Let me know if you'd like a hand with that, but I think it'd be great if you did the slicing yourself.

Anita
Anita

ab2525

Post by ab2525 » July 22nd, 2006, 12:46 pm

Ill think about it, but i have an appt. tommorrow
Last edited by ab2525 on July 22nd, 2006, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ab2525

Post by ab2525 » July 22nd, 2006, 1:30 pm

Thanks for MCing for me anita

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 22nd, 2006, 2:02 pm

Sure thing, Alex! There's no rush on this. Best for you to get well and have some clear time. --Anita (I think I'm going to like this text, but it's got some real challenges in it).
Anita

Xander

Post by Xander » July 24th, 2006, 5:45 am

I was looking over the text and noticed that there is a preface to the work. It should probably be recorded as well.
-Xander

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

www.zamws.com

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 24th, 2006, 8:44 am

It could receive the number 00 and preserve the order.
Anita

ab2525

Post by ab2525 » July 24th, 2006, 6:18 pm

k, thanks

ajackley

Post by ajackley » August 29th, 2006, 5:18 pm

I'll take the first chapter. I'm a newbie so bear with me if there are mistakes. If it works out okay I'll do more. I read this as a philosophy student years ago -- can't wait to see if it's less impenetrable spoken than written!

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » August 29th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Welcome welcome!
These chapters are quite long. Could you please make a wee test before launching into it? Could you make a one-minute audio file to test out the settings, the software, the mic, the input levels ... just as if you were about to record a whole chpater but without a whole chapter. :)

There's a handful of discoveries wonderful to make before a long recording is made, things so easy to fix before recording and so impossible to fix afterward. Plosives are a big one. :) That and low input volume are the most common ailments in first recordings. There's the rare but completely fatal settings-gone-bad thing.

Would you kindly?
I think all the info you need is in ab2525's top post for his project thread, and the handy help pages (link at top of every forum page:
Guides for Listeners & Volunteers (the LibriVox wiki)
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/
especially the
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

Give a shout if you need anything atall!
Again, Big Welcome!

and
ajackley wrote:...can't wait to see if it's less impenetrable spoken than written!
well put!
Anita