COMPLETE: [DRAMA] Pygmalion by Bernard Shaw - ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I thought you might like to listen to my first edit of Act One. There are a couple of lines that have been missed out, I'd like to add some crowd noises of various sorts, and one "Garn" from Eliza, and I've got some suggestions for extra bits from the narrator, to make it clearer what's going on during the various conversations.

Oh, and we'll need an intro and closing line, too. I'll PM for missing lines, and put the other queries here within the next day or so.

I still have a bit of tweaking to get the timing right, but it's close to its final form.

The file's about 13Mb long:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ad/PygmalionActOne_Edit_02.mp3

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

oh! that is so splendid!!
excellent editing, Peter! and reading!!!! outstanding!!

Maybe when it's all to your liking I could do a little spot noise-cleaning in Audacity 3 -- and I should arrange for files to be noise-cleaned in advance of editing for the other acts.

this is really wonderful
thank you so much, Peter!
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Peter Why wrote:Oh, and we'll need an intro and closing line, too.
I think it would be great to get Alex or kristin to record the opening and closing lines.

I've PM'd Alex, suggesting we try to wrap up our missing recordings in the month ahead, but I believe he's traveling just now; and I've no doubt that kristin is working her way 'round to Act II. Absolutely fantastic reading, kristin!!!
Anita
kristin

Post by kristin »

Thanks, Anita. I seem to have gotten myself in a record/delete loop but I'll try to get 2 done soon.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Superb!! :clap: :clap:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I did noise clean the files before recording, but didn't want to do it too much in case it affected their overall sound quality.

To my taste, a little low background rain and market noise would be nice, but I don't know if this is wanted or even possible. ... but it would help cover noisy files.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Peter Why wrote:I did noise clean the files before recording, but didn't want to do it too much in case it affected their overall sound quality.

To my taste, a little low background rain and market noise would be nice, but I don't know if this is wanted or even possible. ... but it would help cover noisy files.

Peter
Well, I think you should edit to your own tastes. He who hoists the load may carry it as he likes! I had only noticed some hiss on Martin's recording and thought it could handle a touch of nc (or a touch more nc, as it turns out). We had asked folks to do no noise cleaning and just submit unprocessed wavs if they could. (But I agree with you that a little noise is preferable to a little warping.) I also fantasized duplicating the daughter's track so her volume would get a boost (my single favorite trick).

I like your idea for rain and market noise -- Stephan's fantastic public domain sound site has some superb stuff -- and I think it'd be wonderful to use in a way that sometimes fades way into the back, you know? so we're able to focus on the speakers? And in that case it wouldn't be a mask.

It really sounds splendid already, even without the effects and without the tightening of timing that you mentioned. It's just great!
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

kristin wrote:Thanks, Anita. I seem to have gotten myself in a record/delete loop but I'll try to get 2 done soon.
AK! Do you mean you record half an hour and then ... delete half an hour? I've done that, and it's disspiriting. By "soon" I hope you mean in the next month (not in the next few days -- no pressure ... we still need Alex for everything, and he's traveling I think, so when you're able).

Your Act 1 is completely marvelous. I hope you'll have a ton of fun with Act 2.
Anita
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

If some extra cultural notes on Cockney would be useful at this juncture...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvqSaQ1yijs

David
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

wow wow, I laughed aloud a lot
clever clever
and I'll never listen to classical music quite so unhearingly again -- my ears have been opened
Anita
asy

Post by asy »

If there are any orphaned bits roaming around this project I'd love to adopt one. Especially female, but would do a male role if no-one else wanted it ;)

Thanks all,

asy :D
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hi asy!

Sorry for my delay in answering -- I was traveling.
I see that you've undertaken Merchant of Venice since you asked about orphans here. So I *know* your hands are very full!

But to answer your question...

Henry Higgins is incomplete but not yet orphaned.
Eliza Doolittle is not orphaned, though kristin hasn't lowered her standards enough to finish it. ;)

And the only remaining part then is Henry Higgins' mum.
I'm signed up for that, and I have some great pronunciation guides that a couple kind Brits whipped up for me. And I still have all the best intentions of completing that reading.

But if you're interested...
... and if polishing a posh accent intrigues you,
then please check in again when you've wrapped up your Portia,
and we'll see if I've made any progress atall.

Thanks so much for inquiring!
Anita
asy

Post by asy »

Thanks Anita!!!

I actually do a posh British accent pretty well (considering I'm not a Brit), I think, I have done a sample, should the need arise.

If you do decide to orphan the part, I'd LOVE to do it in addition to my Portia. I think it'd be a fun 'distraction' from reading solid Shakespeare. AND it's a book I adore! I have a very old copy roaming around here somewhere... looking for a first... :)

So, please put me down for first dibs on the orphan, should it arise.

asy :D
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

<stretched out>...w...e...l...l...</stretch>

okee-doke
I can't see a bare speck in my schedule for the coming weeks ...
so it makes best sense for me to say
the part is yours, asy,
and thanks for reading it!
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I've just taken over this project from Anita, who's a bit busy at the moment. Also our BC Alex hasn't been around for ages.

I think we should get this finished as soon as we can. To that end, I've the following plan:
  1. Find a reader for Mrs Higgins - it's a small part. I've contacted asy who volunteered ages ago.
  2. I've contacted Alex this morning and asked if he can finish Prof Higgins within a reasonable time, or if he's prepared to give up the part. In the latter case, I'd look for another reader for Prof Higgins (we can always do another version of Pygmalion with Alex's Higgins when Alex has more time). If I don't hear from Alex by 16th Jan, I'll orphan Prof Higgins.
  3. I've already contacted Kristin about the remaining files for Eliza and she says she'll do them shortly now.
  4. We'll need editors to put this play together. Kristen and Queue volunteered but that was rather a long time ago. - Any takers?
Last edited by Gesine on January 11th, 2009, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein