COMPLETE: Little Women by L. M. Alcott - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/little-women-dramatic-reading-by-louisa-may-alcott/
Louisa May Alcott's beloved 1868 novel is about the four March girls - Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy - who are growing up in Massachusetts during the Civil War. As the novel opens, their father is away at war, and the girls are struggling to be good and to reconcile themselves to their relative poverty. Each has her trials to deal with, and they are encouraged by their loving mother, and by their friendship with their neighbor, Theodore "Laurie" Laurence. (Summary by Elizabeth Klett)

1. Is there a deadline?

We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is December 25, 2011.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/514 - BUT PLEASE READ FROM THE GOOGLE DOCS LINKED IN THE MAGIC WINDOW
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

==========================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
    ===========================================

You shouldn't need a Google Docs account to open the text links above; right-click on the link and open it in a new window. Please PM me if you have any questions or problems with the Google docs.
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter (OR - if your character only appears in one chapter, one file per character).

Please leave at least 2-3 seconds of silence between each of your character's lines; this will make the editing process easier.

Please do not noise-clean or process your files; this will be done at the editing stage.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 little women_role_#.mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number. Example: littlewomen_jo_1.mp3.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by gloriana on October 30th, 2010, 8:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Elizabeth!

Do you need a DPL? I'd love to, if I may! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Elli, I would love it!!! Thanks so much. As with Dracula, you will only need to PL the finished chapters. :9:
aravis

Post by aravis »

Woohoo! Can't wait to listen! I love that book! :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I'm posting to say yay! I'm excited! (And also so I can get thread updates.) :wink:
aravis

Post by aravis »

May I also read 09 MRS. HUMMEL / HUMMEL CHILDREN / LOTTY? The German accent shouldn't be much of a problem. ;)
Elli

gloriana

Post by gloriana »

wildemoose wrote:I'm posting to say yay! I'm excited! (And also so I can get thread updates.) :wink:
Me too! This has been one of my very favorite books since childhood. Hope everyone enjoys the experience!

Elli, I'd love it if you'd like to read Mrs. Hummel etc. I'll put you down for the roles. Mrs. Hummel and the Hummel children actually speak in German, so that works out nicely. :)
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Woohoo. I am so clicking on that notify me button!

Best of luck with the project!

Cheers,
Betty
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Thanks, Betty! Sure you wouldn't like to read a couple of little roles? :)
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Alas, I fear not, I have yet to even try recording. I just can't figure Audacity out. Maybe someday.

Betty
LindaHogan

Post by LindaHogan »

I'd like to be Aunt March if I could...I can surely sound like a cantankerous old lady :twisted:
Linda H.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Sure - thanks, Linda! I'll add you in as Aunt March.

No worries, Betty. :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

gloriana wrote:Narrator/Jo
When I saw this, my first reaction was "Wait. I'm not reading the Narrator's part for this!" :lol:
Jo
doublemirrors

Post by doublemirrors »

I'd like John Brook, if possible! :D

- DB
Full souls are double mirrors, making still
An endless vista of fair things before,
Repeating things behind.
- Griswold Williams