COMPLETE: Daniel Deronda - George Eliot - AF/tc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beckym

Post by beckym »

Have a great trip and a very Happy Thanksgiving, Betsy.

And about the break? No way - I'm going to pile up on you. (as my sister and I used to say when doing dishes together)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Woohoo! Bring it on! ... hehehe =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
beckym

Post by beckym »

Chapter 54 - Gwendolyn and Grandcourt...and guess who?

Just uploaded it.
beckym

Post by beckym »

Chapter 55-57 just uploaded. End of Book 7. Ah, the twists and turns of this plot - you'll love these.
beckym

Post by beckym »

Chapter 58 - the first in Book 8 - now uploaded.
beckym

Post by beckym »

Chapter 59 - for your listening pleasure - is now uploaded.
beckym

Post by beckym »

Chapter 60 is now uploaded
beckym

Post by beckym »

Chapters 61 and 62 are now uploaded
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Oh, Becky, look at you and your progress!

I'll go move these over to the public location right now... I look forward to listening =)
~ Betsie
beckym

Post by beckym »

I had a thought about the foreign language portions still to be recorded.

What do you think about having the quotations at the beginnings of chapters that are done in foreign languages read by people other than me? That would seem to work better in that their accents will be better than mine and they're sort of interjected commentaries in the book anyway.

And, what do you think about adding English translations to those, just afterwards, in my voice? My copy of the book from Gutenberg doesn't have translations, but I imagine some editions do.

I'd still have to patch in the foreign words - places, expressions - that are sprinkled throughout the text in my voice.

This approach may add something to the presentation of the book, and certainly help me get it finished up.

What do you think?

BTW - here's the list of languages I'll be soon posting queries for help with: German, Italian, Latin, French, Hebrew. I think that's all of them.

What an opus!!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Becky, your idea of having native or trained speakers of the languages read those passages is super! I also like the idea of your recording an English translation as well (your readers may be able to help with the translations too, assuming that they are willing to put the translations into the public domain =)
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Becky, I got some sewing done yesterday to the accompaniment of your voice =) ... thanks for leaving me hanging, geeeez!... hehe... What on earth is going to happen to poor Gwen? Will Dan and Myra ever get together? Will Rex and Gwen get together? Will Hans ever get over being such a selfish brute? I'm completely on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment =)

I really loved how the author made Dan's mother the complete opposite of Myra... that was super!

I also listened to several of your Frost poems... Home Burial was especially well done... your expression was so moving I was almost in tears while driving home yesterday.

Here are the few repeat notes for your future reference:

ch. 54 - @7:56 ...the non-existance of an external world
ch. 56 - @3:35 ...Dina Comedia
ch. 60 - @7:22 ...in an hour and eighteen minutes
ch. 61 - @1:30 & @6:50 ...la chea panga
~ Betsie
beckym

Post by beckym »

Thanks once more for your kind words of praise and encouragement. They really help me keep going!

And isn't that the magic of what we are doing with the Librivox project? You and I have never met, but we share a bond in the love of words and reading and books and poetry. Now, we share a bond in the love of a poem by Robert Frost that touched both our hearts. Robert Frost can speak to us from his age and time and heart. And we can give voice to his beautiful timeless words, and talk to other hearts by doing so. It is all pretty wondrous when you think about it.

I corrected chapters 60 and 54's repetitions. The others were foreign language pieces that I intentionally pronounced two different ways hoping one of them will have been right once I get someone to speak them to me.

And here is Chapter 63. I didn't intentionally leave you hanging, honest. That's just where I left off - and it's George Eliot's fault! The way she constructs this novel, chapter by chapter leading you through this complex plot, and keeping you ever guessing what's coming...wow.

Enjoy. Glad you're listening. It would be so much less motivating to record for the anonymous someday listeners vs. you who are listening as I record.

More soon.

Becky
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I too think it's wonderful how we can connect over these books... it feels so much more satisfying to have a passion about something AND to be able to share it with others too. I have so many hobbies that I do by myself, but I always find it more enjoyable to do them with other people or at least to share my results and progress.

Good call on those non-English words hehe... I do that too sometimes so I don't have to stop the flow of my recording to look up the pronunciations. I've transfered over the new versions as well as the new chapter (and am downloading it now too =)
~ Betsie
beckym

Post by beckym »

Chapter 64 is ready now, but I was unable to upload it. Could not get a connection on the FTP site - between 9 and 10 tonight -

[22:03:40] SmartFTP v2.0.1000.1
[22:03:40] Resolving host name "betsie.info"
[22:03:58] Unable to resolve host name.
[22:03:58] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/81
[22:03:58] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[22:04:28] Continue to login attempt 2...
[22:04:28] Resolving host name "betsie.info"