[COMPLETE] Antiquities of the Jews Vol 4 by Josephus - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 10: It's a bit loud - the wave forms fill almost the whole screen. You can lower your input volume so as not to cause clipping on future recordings. (It measured at 97 dB; it only needs to be around 89.)

Otherwise OK.

Oh - I noticed that in the ID tags, the author was put in the Band field, which seemed a bit weird to me. It should go in the Artist field. I can fix it easily at cataloging.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 14 needs one small edit.

At 13:03 you said sixty-seven years, but it should be seventy-seven.

Otherwise, PL OK.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oops!

Correction uploading now. It'll be up in less than 5 minutes.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

TriciaG wrote:Oops!

Correction uploading now. It'll be up in less than 5 minutes.

Section 14 is spot checked and PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

Tricia,
I am uploading four versions of the same one-minute tests. Meant to give you all here but the uploader won't come up for me again, so you will get the next three when it does
1 is the recording plain http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/oneminute1antiq_michelle.wav
2 is the recording with noise removal
3 is the noise removal with normalization
4 is the noise removal with equalization

I don’t know what these little clicks are from (see around 17) I have used two different computers in different areas and the USB Logitech mike. I cannot hear them without amplifying and maybe there are more bad things that I cannot hear, which is why I am giving you these four samples. I am using the audacity1.3.12 beta

I recorded my section, but have not 'effected' it yet, until I hear from you. I have two questions besides--how do I listen to the recording preceeding me? Nothing happens when I click on a link thru these postings. Also, please give me some advice about splicing in a paragraph--some of the words got twisted around in my recording and I would like to correct them. Thanks, Michelle
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I'll wait for the other samples.
I recorded my section, but have not 'effected' it yet, until I hear from you. I have two questions besides--how do I listen to the recording preceeding me? Nothing happens when I click on a link thru these postings. Also, please give me some advice about splicing in a paragraph--some of the words got twisted around in my recording and I would like to correct them. Thanks, Michelle
- You should be able to right click on the word "listen" and select "Save link as" or "Save link target as". That will direct you to save the file to your computer, where you can open and listen to it.

- For editing, read the text you want to replace (begin and end at a natural break, like a breath or pause of some sort). Then highlight that portion and do a cut (control-X). Highlight the part to replace, and do a paste (control-V). Usually I do this in a new track (have your Audacity cursor thingy around where you want the edit, then click the Record button, and it'll record in a new track), then close that track when I've finished that particular edit.

Usually I catch those errors while reading, in which case I just repeat the part I messed up, then delete out the error when I edit. But sometimes I decide to re-record a phrase or sentence and do the above.

Hope that makes sense!
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

WOW! I can hardly believe that you answered my message before I was able to upload the tests. I was rerecording the sections I caught, like you said, but until now did not realize how good I was at spoonerisms--tell me what you think of these four samples, my hearing is not good at certain sounds, but I see the clicks on the wave form. Any idea what they are? Anyway, looks like I'm already addicted--and after only one time, too--so I will rerecord the whole thing if necessary. Uhm, hope this isn't one of those things where the first one is free, but then you start charging me to volunteer.

Michelle

from the department of redundancy department:
I have uploaded four versions of the same one-minute tests.
1 is the recording plain http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/oneminute1antiq_michelle.wav
2 is the recording with noise removal URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/oneminute2noisrmvlantiq_michelle.wav
3 is the noise removal with normalization http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/oneminute3noisnormantiq_michelle.wav
4 is the noise removal with equalization http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/oneminute4noisequalantiq_michelle.wav

I don’t know what these little clicks are from (see around 17) I have used two different computers in different areas and the USB Logitech mike. I cannot hear them without amplifying and maybe there are more bad things that I cannot hear, which is why I am giving you these four samples I am using the audacity1.3.12 beta

Michelle
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay!

First, you do realize these are in wav and we need mp3, right? If I recall, your other test was OK on the mp3 tech specs, so you should be good to go.

I find #3 to be the best - good job on noise cleaning, and a good volume.

#4 seemed similar to #2. When you say you equalized, what do you mean? (Did you use the Leveler?)

As for the little click noise, sample at 0:17, I get those, too. I think they're mouth or jaw noises. I try not to obsess about them. :) They are fine; you could edit them out if you had the time, but I don't think it's worth it.

So, you're good to go, with the treatment like you gave #3. 8-)
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

Right. It's always good to pay attention to what you are doing--I will make sure they are mp3 files next time. Thanks so much for your assistance.
Michelle
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yay - thanks! Hopefully it'll get PL'd soon. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 15 is uploading now, if anyone cares to PL it. ETA: 3 minutes. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 13:
- Volume is too low. Needs to be amplified about 8 dB.
- Needs 1 more second of silence at the end, for a total of 5.

Otherwise OK. :)

Would you like me to make these changes, or would you prefer to do it yourself?

I did notice that there is background noise in some spots. I assume it's where you re-read a sentence here and there. Don't worry about it on this one, but in future, do your noise cleaning after editing/re-reading. :)
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

re: section 13 you may fix it up, but I am willing to redo the reading. Your editing tips were very helpful, but I never could get the new tracks to match up to the original. When I tried to normalize the entire reading, like in test sample 3, it got way too loud. Now I know to be careful about some words that I seem to say at twice the volume. Also, I did the noise removal after splicing, but went in afterwards and shortened some pauses—won’t do it that way again. Let me know if you want me to rerecord it.
Michelle

tip: I originally set up the Audacity beta & recorded on a Lenovo laptop then transferred my project (.au) to my regular pc. Turns out that the beta has some settings conflicts with Lenovo and transferred them to the pc (see known issues/Mixer Toolbar/input-selector at their download site.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I'll edit it for you. No, it doesn't require a redo. :)

If you want it, here's the program we use to determine volume of mp3's. Sometimes it's easier to see it objectively rather than to judge by one's own ear. http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3gain/

It's a free download.

I know what you mean about some words coming out louder. Usually I zoom in and select that portion and de-amplify it a little bit to get it to match up better.

Funny that you did noise removal after the editing. The shortening of spaces shouldn't make any difference in the sound quality, so that wasn't what caused those portions that were a little noisier. :hmm:

Annoying about the Lenovo conflicts!