COMPLETE [RELIG] Bible in Mod. Engl. Gen-2 Sam, Fenton - ez

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

This project is complete. All the files can be downloaded from our catalogue: http://librivox.org/bible-in-modern-english-01to07-09to10-by-ferrar-fenton-mp-1012/

The Holy Bible in Modern English: Genesis - Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel.
Translated by Ferrar Fenton.
Work on the translation began in 1853 by a London businessman called Ferrar Fenton (1832–1920). The complete Bible was first published in 1903, though parts were published as separate volumes during the preceding 11 years. The translation is noted for a rearranging of the books of the Bible into what the author believed was the correct chronological order. In the Old Testament, this order follows that of the Hebrew Bible. The name of God was translated throughout the Old Testament as "The Ever-Living". The Bible is described as "translated into English direct from the original Hebrew, Chaldee, and Greek languages." For his translation of the Book of Job which appeared in 1898, Fenton was assisted by Henrik Borgström. This was "rendered into the same metre as the original Hebrew, word by word and line by line". His translation of the New Testament is based on the Greek text of Westcott and Hort. The ordering novelty in the New Testament is that it places the Gospel of John and the First Epistle of John at the beginning before the Gospel of Matthew, thus placing the Acts of the Apostles immediately after the Gospel of Luke.

Notable as well, is Ferrar Fenton's restoration of the Psalms into the musical verse form as close to the original as he could get. The Psalms were, quite literally, songs, complete with instructions for the "choirmaster" as well as descriptions of the appropriate musical instruments to be used. Today Psalm 48, Psalm 137, and Psalm 23 are still sung in churches, albeit to tunes not the original.

(Summary by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: none
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://thetencommandmentsministry.us/ministry/ferrar_fenton/pdf
  • Type of proof-listening required: Standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapters XX-XX of [Book Title] from The Holy Bible in Modern English. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Mark Penfold"
    • Say:
      "The Holy Bible in Modern English. [Translated by Ferrar Fenton]. [Book Title], Chapters XX-XX. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapters XX-XX of [Book title] from The Holy Bible in Modern English. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
    • Say:
      "The Holy Bible in Modern English. [Translated by Ferrar Fenton]. [Book Title], Chapters XX-XX. [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      The end of Chapters XX-XX of [Book Title]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "The end of The Bible in Modern English. [Translated by Ferrar Fenton]. Recording by Mark Penfold."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    001_genesis_01_fenton.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 001 - Gen 01-07
    Artist: Ferrar Fenton Bible
    Album: Holy Bible in Modern English
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: ez - ezwa
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

===========================================
[list]
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): none
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrar_Fenton_Bible
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 193
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: n
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1903
[*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1920
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: [/list]
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi, Mark. I'll be happy to MC the project.
Just wondering if the project shouldn't be split...

I'll set the MW in a few hours.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

ezwa wrote:Hi, Mark. I'll be happy to MC the project.
Just wondering if the project shouldn't be split...

I'll set the MW in a few hours.
Hi,

When you say "split", do you mean to divide the project into Old and New Testaments and make them seperate projects?

marK :mrgreen:
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi, Mark !
nebgreen wrote:When you say "split", do you mean to divide the project into Old and New Testaments and make them seperate projects?
Yes.
I'm just thinking that the zip file for the whole project will be huge and might cause trouble when trying to download it.

The MW is set.
I've changed the second part of the intros. Just turning the words the other way around, beginning with "The Holy Bible" and finishing with the Chapter's numbers.
The scheme for the filenames and the ID3-tags are changed as well. Just trying to have something that will enable the files to sort in the correct order.

Cheers,
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Thank you, ezwa, for MCing once again! The intros look good!

maRk........ :mrgreen: :!:
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Hi again,

About filenames: would "001" and "01" be redundant in "001_genesis_01_fenton.mp3"? Do I need both, or could I just go with, say, "genesis_001_fenton"?

Thanks,

mArk......... :mrgreen:
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Mark,

I would begin with the filenumber (001_genesis... to 193_revelations...), so that the files sort out in their proper order.
If you simply use the book names at the beginning of the filenames, they will sort out alphabetically (Act ->Amos -> ... -> Zephaniah) instead of in their order in the Bible (Genesis -> Exodus -> ... -> Revelation).

The second number, if I'm not mistaken, was meant for the section's number in one Bible book (...genesis_01_fenton... : 1rst section of Genesis -> ...exodus_01_fenton... : 1rst section of Exodus).
It would allow the listener to know which section of Genesis, Exodus, ... he is at (actually, there could be only one cipher if you divide a book in less than 10 sections).
I think that could be useful but we could do without it.

So, if you find it redundant and want to get rid of one of the two numbers, I'd get rid of the second one and go for 001_genesis_fenton.mp3, starting with the file's number.
Ezwa

Boileau

nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Actually, I'll just keep the numbers you suggested. Thanks again!

MARk..... :mrgreen:
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Alright!!! Section 001 is up!:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/001_genesis_01_fenton.mp3

Time---26:49
Size----24.5 MB

marK penfolD----- :mrgreen:
lomond

Post by lomond »

nebgreen wrote:Alright!!! Section 001 is up!:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/001_genesis_01_fenton.mp3

marK penfolD----- :mrgreen:
Greetings -

Interesting translation.

Tech specs, audio, tags fine.

Chapter 2, Verse 13 Time: 7:14 Is the name JiHon or JiBon?

Just had to find something. :wink:

Section 1 is PL OK!

Lomond (who is so thankful another tax season is over and is rediscovering something called sleep)
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Hi there!

Thank you for PLing! You're right: it IS "JiHON"! The print in the PDF version is sometimes hard to figure out. The "h" looked almost like a "b", so that's probably what threw me off. Well, dangit anyway!!!! :lol:
Again, thanks!

mARk............ :mrgreen:
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Well, the link to the text I provided in the first post to this project seems to be broken or missing, but the same PDF files can now be found at this site:

http://www.yahsheua.com/ferrarfenton.htm

I will keep a look out to see if the old site returns in a few days, but if not, then I'll probably have to use this new one.

m a r k............................ :mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

The original site seems to be back and running.....never mind!

M A R K!!!!!!........................... :mrgreen:
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Section 002 is ready for review!:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/002_genesis_02_fenton.mp3

23:02
21.0 MBs

M A R K :mrgreen:
nebgreen

Post by nebgreen »

Once again, my headset microphone just completely stopped working, so now I am without a means to record anything right now. I will continue with this project when I can purchase another mic. I have been having absolutely horrible luck with electronic purchases as of late, and this is another in a long line of products that went out on me without any real explanation. Just wanted to pass that along.

MARK