[Realism]The House with the Green Shutters by G D Brown-neb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lennich

Post by lennich »

The House with the Green Shutters by George Douglas Brown (1869-1902) .

This project is now complete!
All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-house-with-the-green-shutters-by-george-douglas-brown/

The House with the Green Shutters is a novel by the Scottish writer George Douglas Brown, first published in 1901 by John MacQueen. Set in mid-19th century Ayrshire, in the fictitious town of Barbie which is based on his native Ochiltree, it consciously violates the conventions of the sentimental kailyard school, and is sometimes quoted as an influence on the Scottish Renaissance.

The novel describes the struggles of a proud and taciturn carrier, John Gourlay, against the spiteful comments and petty machinations of the envious and idle villagers of Barbie (the "bodies"). (Introduction by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date: 31 December 2013
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25876
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Word Perfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The House with the Green Shutters. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The House with the Green Shutters, by George Douglas Brown. [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The House with the Green Shutters by George Douglas Brown. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The House with the Green Shutters, by George Douglas Brown."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    housegreenshutters_##_brown_128kb.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - Chapter ##
    Artist: George Douglas Brown
    Album: The House with the Green Shutters
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by lennich on March 20th, 2013, 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi Len

I'll MC this for you :D

I would change the filename to housegreenshutters in case someone comes along one day with a green house story, but it is up to you really. Back with the MW in a bit!
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Done :D
I'm sending you a pm with your login and password to the MW.
What would you like as genres? Historical fiction and satire seem to fit from what I read in the summary, is that OK?
Nadine

lennich

Post by lennich »

Hi Nadine,
neckertb wrote:Hi Len

I'll MC this for you :D

I would change the filename to housegreenshutters in case someone comes along one day with a green house story, but it is up to you really. Back with the MW in a bit!
Many thanks :D

About the filename: do I just upload using the new filename (housegreenshutters) or do I need to change a setting anywhere to reflect the change?

TTFN,
Len
lennich

Post by lennich »

neckertb wrote:What would you like as genres? Historical fiction and satire seem to fit from what I read in the summary, is that OK?
Wikipedia has it as 'realism', which I think is going a bit far, but if that could be added to your suggestions then it might help people to find it :)

Cheers,
Len

P.S. The MW documentation is a bit daunting!
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

We don't have realism as genre, but I will add it as keyword when I catalog it, promise.
you have changed thefilename I see!
And yes, the MW doc is a bit big, but honestly I figured it out on my own, but at least you have it if you ever need it :D
Let's wait for a DPL a couple of days before moving to Going solo (but feel free to start recording :wink:)
Nadine

lennich

Post by lennich »

neckertb wrote:you have changed thefilename I see!
Yes, I took your advice :lol:
neckertb wrote:Let's wait for a DPL a couple of days before moving to Going solo (but feel free to start recording :wink:)
Still got to format the text in Word so that I've got a useable script for reading :) but I'm nearly there.

Cheers,
Len
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I forgot two things:
it is important that you remember to post in this thread every month, even if there is no progress, just so we know you're still around :D
You can advertise for a DPL in the Listeners and Editors Wanted Forum. You need to use a special template, here is how to do it.

And now for the bonus: if you find a picture that is in the public domain that you would like to use as a front cover, I'll convert your book in M4B when you are done. You can look here for links to PD pictures.
:mrgreen:
Nadine

aidanbrack

Post by aidanbrack »

It would be my first time doing it but I would be interested in dpl'ing this book. I'd understand though if you wanted someone with more experience. :D
shelagh

Post by shelagh »

I'd be happy to be your DPL if your still looking for one

Shelagh
lennich

Post by lennich »

I'm not sure what the form is about choosing a DPL i.e. do I choose, or does the MC?

Anyway, aidanbrack, thanks for the offer but I'm pretty new to Librivox and this is my first solo project, so I think I should probably go with someone with a bit of experience to help me through my blundering progress.

So, Shelagh, if I do the hiring, then you have the job :D

TTFN,
Len
aidanbrack

Post by aidanbrack »

lennich wrote:I'm not sure what the form is about choosing a DPL i.e. do I choose, or does the MC?

Anyway, aidanbrack, thanks for the offer but I'm pretty new to Librivox and this is my first solo project, so I think I should probably go with someone with a bit of experience to help me through my blundering progress.

So, Shelagh, if I do the hiring, then you have the job :D

TTFN,
Len
Not a problem at all Len. I'll just look forward to enjoying the results as a listener. :)

All the best,
Aidan
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Shelagh has been added to the MW, and we have moved to going solo.
Enjoy :D
Nadine

shelagh

Post by shelagh »

aidanbrack wrote:It would be my first time doing it but I would be interested in dpl'ing this book. I'd understand though if you wanted someone with more experience. :D
Sorry - I didn't spot your post otherwise I wouldn't have posted myself.

I would be happy to leave this to you but will keave the MC and reader to decide.

Hope you find enjoy your PL on Librivox, as I'm sure you wil. I certainly do.

Shelagh
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I'd say it is the reader's choice, but Len I would not be worried about the lack of experience here. Your call! We could also have two DPL! (what a luxury dilemma) :mrgreen:
Nadine