[COMPLETE] In Ghostly Japan by Lafcadio Hearn - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dill

Post by dill »

Hi Ava,

Great, so we will work on Section 11.
Here is the test we did together.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/test_cuthamin.mp3

We find it is a bit difficult to balance the volume of our two voices, but I think this is the easiest way. Give me your comments.

Yes, actually, I has been thinking either Rashomon or Toshishun of Akutagawa. I am happy to read Rashomon !

Dill
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Dill, great test - I think it's working very nicely! Please don't forget that your son also has to sign up here!

I don't think the volume difference is a big issue. It's possible to fix this problem in the end (there's a thing called 'Leveller' in Audacity).

From what I hear it seems that your son is further away from the microphone than you are. He could try to move closer to the mic, just a little bit, but as I said it's not a big problem.

I like this! And I'm very curious about your reading of Rashomon! I'd love to have your audio together with the written text. So far, I have only learnt Hiragana (no Kanji), so it will be very funny to try and read along with your recording... :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
JDavidMoore

Post by JDavidMoore »

Look! Here is my test file. I hope you enjoy it. http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/test_JDavidMoore.mp3
JDavidMoore

Post by JDavidMoore »

Also, I think JDavidMoore is just fine. I like my virtual persona to match my actual persona. Less to keep track of.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for your test, David. Unfortunately I cannot listen to this right now... I'll post it over at 'Listeners Wanted' so that it gets more exposure, ok?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JDavidMoore

Post by JDavidMoore »

Ava,

Oh, no hurry. At your convenience.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

JDavidMoore: Excellent test recording. All your settings are correct and you have a pleasant speaking voice. You read at a good pace, have no background noise and no 'plosives. I did notice that your volume was slightly low – within acceptable limits, but it wouldn't hurt if it were louder. Try turning up your input volume just a little bit, either for your system (in Windows XP go to Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio, in the section titled Sound Recording click on Volume and push the sliders up a bit) or in Audacity (Push the slider next to the picture of the microphone, at the top right, towards the right a bit.) But I'd say you are ready to record. I look forward to hearing your section.

(I have PMed this to JDavidMoore, in case he does not see it here.)
So little space, so much to say.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Lucy, you're great!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JDavidMoore

Post by JDavidMoore »

Hello. Here is section 03: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/inghostlyjapan_03_hearn.mp3

May I assume that you all do some signal compression before archiving or sending out? There are a few P pops and random peaks.

What a good time. Thanks for letting me play.

David
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for your file David!

First of all, please post the length of your recording so we can check if everything has arrived.

To answer your question, no, we don't do any processing on our end, this is entirely your job. Please watch out for pops, background noise, general volume of the piece... Essentially we expect you to have a perfect recording submitted. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JDavidMoore

Post by JDavidMoore »

cuthamin

Post by cuthamin »

Hi Ava,
This is dill using my son’s account. I don’t know a reason, but my account seems to have been inactivated, so I am using my son’s account.
I hope I can get my account back soon as I have already sent a mail asking for a check.

Anyway, thank you for your comment and I am happy to know you like the test. We are planning to record the first batch soon, and I would like to ask your advice.

When I was checking the Japanese part of the text, I realized there are some minor errors possibly due to miss hearing of Hearn. They are minor, such as Biratake, instead of Hiratake, but they are noticeable for Japanese. Do you want me to read exactly as the text or shall I read in correct Japanese pronunciation?
Please let me know your idea.
Thanks for your help !
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for the new file, David!

Dill, very often the texts on Gutenberg are quite riddled with mistakes, so feel free to simply correct them when you read.

It would be great if you could write down a list of the mistakes you find, together with the context and your correction, for example:

this senence contens two errors
this sentence contains two errors

We can collect them and send them to gutenberg.org - they are usually very happy about correcting such errors. But this is usually very time consuming, if you don't want to do that, it's fine, just correct the recording.

I'll see what we can do about your account - are you sure you are using the correct password?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
cuthamin

Post by cuthamin »

Hi Ava,

Thanks for your advice about errors. Yes, I will do as you suggest.
They could be Hearn's errors on original text, or could be errors of input.

For my account, I have tired the "forgotten password" and I was informed that my account has been inactivated...... :roll:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi dill,

this happens sometimes when you change the email address of your account - did you try to do this? We have opened your account again, please see if you can come back as dill... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com