COMPLETE: Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery - CL/tc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

frenchfry wrote:http://techsun.tech.uh.edu/~hkbigley/librivoxfiles/

Let me know what I could do better.
That was fun. I'll claim chapters 12 and 13 as well.

Thanks.
I had a listen to the first half of your recording and have a few pointers.

1. the volume is a little low - i had all my volume settings on the very highest.
if you turn up the input on your mic, that will definately help. Fo now you can amplify the recording though, I think they do that too when they catalogue.

2. Unedited stumbles and repeats. In some cases when you stumbled, you didnt repeat the stumble (correctly) and edit. I notice alot of people will repeat the whole sentance right away then go back and edit out the stumble. (I am coordinating the bloopers reel for the anniversary podcast so I have seen many LOL) It might help to read just a little slower to avoid the stumbles. The pace is for the most part ok but I notice less stumbling from people who go slower. ( maybe they just edit them out better LOL)

3. there was some background noise. I know thats almost unavoidable just thought I would mention it. (we have many different animals in the background of our recordings - birds, cats etc)

There you have it - my unprofessional opinion. But most of all I could hear you were enjoying yourself and thats the most important thing around here. Hope to hear you do more. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

hmmm... I think Starlite and I must have listened to different files for chapter 11 ... I thought the volume and pace were perfect and I didn't notice any stumbles or background noise...

FrenchFry, You're doing a great job with a clear and lovely voice... Enjoy chapters 12 &13 =)

Also, how would you like your name to appear in the catalog? do you have a URL you would like associated with your name? =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Maybe I am just too critical. But I DID have all my volume controls turned right up. Normaly When I proof a file from our seasoned readers, I do overlook slight goofs. I just thought that since this was her first, she would like constructive critism. But as I am not admin, If you think its perfect, so be it. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

JemmaBlythe wrote:Hi Anne

The YouSendIt link for the intro and chapter 1 is http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=007F299347AF537E

Cheers JemmaBlythe
Oh, Thank you for another beautifully read Anne chapter! =)
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Starlite wrote:Maybe I am just too critical. But I DID have all my volume controls turned right up. Normaly When I proof a file from our seasoned readers, I do overlook slight goofs. I just thought that since this was her first, she would like constructive critism. But as I am not admin, If you think its perfect, so be it. :)
Oh, it has nothing to do with my being an admin here (since being an admin is really more burdan than privilage heh)... it has more to do with everyone having different taste in listening ... one of those special charms of LibriVox =) ... I have probably relaxed my standards a lot since I've started recording and listening here... possibly because I know the stress and trouble I went through when I first began recording... and possibly also because of the difficulties I still have while recording =)
~ Betsie
frenchfry

Post by frenchfry »

rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

SHOOT! I did chapter 30 and exported it and then realized I'd recorded it in 32-bit float, instead of 16-bit. I went back to the project file, changed the track to 16-bit, and re-exported it, but the MP3 is still the same size as the one from the 32-bit version. Do I need to do this over?

Here's the version I've done already, for what it's worth. If I need to redo it, please let me know.

http://www.newness-of-life.com/librivox/anne-island/anne_island_30_montgomery.mp3

P.S. I know I read too fast. It's something I'm consciously working on; if I slow myself down too much, I stumble. In the meanwhile, to adapt an Anne quote, "If you knew how fast I want to read but don't, you'd give me some credit for it."
JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe »

Hi Betsie

Thanks for your lovely response. What a marvelous book. Here's my second chapter:

The YouSendIt link is http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8C9D47E956E2F0FA

Best JemmaBlythe
JB Shelton
[url]linkedin.com/profile/edit?locale=en_US&goback=%2Enmp_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1&trk=spm_pic[/url]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Thank you frenchfry! I haven't had a listen to them both all the way through, but the little bits I did hear sound great! =)
rachelellen wrote:SHOOT! I did chapter 30 and exported it and then realized I'd recorded it in 32-bit float, instead of 16-bit. I went back to the project file, changed the track to 16-bit, and re-exported it, but the MP3 is still the same size as the one from the 32-bit version. Do I need to do this over?
Rachel Ellen: Oh, no, you don't have to redo it.... I'm not quite sure what the difference is between 16-bit and 32-bit... but I don't think it's a big deal either way... so, don't sweat it =) Again, I haven't listened all the way through, but so far you sound great too!

JemmaBlythe: Another thanks to you for your chapter!

Everyone: Thanks so much for getting your chapters in so speedily.... there are 6 chapters to go... don't hesitate to claim more! *hugs all* =)
~ Betsie
JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe »

Hi Betsie

I'd love to record Chapters 21 and 22.

Cheers JemmaBlythe
JB Shelton
[url]linkedin.com/profile/edit?locale=en_US&goback=%2Enmp_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1&trk=spm_pic[/url]
sihaya_m

Post by sihaya_m »

Hi Betsie!

Please sign me up for a couple of chapters - whichever two are still available will be fine.

thanks!!
geetu
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

JemmaBlythe wrote:Hi Betsie

I'd love to record Chapters 21 and 22.

Cheers JemmaBlythe
Excellent! Enjoy! =)
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

sihaya_m wrote: Please sign me up for a couple of chapters - whichever two are still available will be fine.
Geetu... how about these two? =)

Chapter 17 - A Letter from Davy
Chapter 18 - Miss Josepine Remembers the Anne-girl
~ Betsie
sihaya_m

Post by sihaya_m »

thistlechick wrote:Geetu... how about these two? =)

Chapter 17 - A Letter from Davy
Chapter 18 - Miss Josepine Remembers the Anne-girl
Thanks Betsie!

geetu
rachelellen

Post by rachelellen »

I'll take 35 :)