COMPLETE;GERMAN] Lulu I: Erdgeist - Frank Wedekind -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Rowland wrote:Guten Tag.

Hier ist jetzt Doktor Schön im Dritter Aufzug. Hoffentlich habe Ich nichts vergessen:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ry/erdgeist_schon_3.mp3

Zeit: 10:03

Lars :)
Vielen Dank Lars

Leider habe ich noch nicht einen PL gefunden.

Tschuss

Algi
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Rowland »

Hier ist jetzt Dr Shön im Vierter Aufzug:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ry/erdgeist_schon_4.mp3

Zeit: 10:44

Eine Frohe Weihnachten und ein Gutes Neu Jahr.

Lars :D
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Susanna

Post by Susanna »

Hier ist der erste Aufzug! I truly wish I could do her justice and that I don't sound too American. This is my first time reading the play, and I haven't seen any staged or filmed productions of Erdgeist, so it'll be a brand new (hopefully acceptable) interpretation. Please let me know if it is okay, or if there's anything you want me to do over.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ry/erdgeist_lulu_1.mp3

Susanna
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Susanna wrote:Hier ist der erste Aufzug! I truly wish I could do her justice and that I don't sound too American. This is my first time reading the play, and I haven't seen any staged or filmed productions of Erdgeist, so it'll be a brand new (hopefully acceptable) interpretation. Please let me know if it is okay, or if there's anything you want me to do over.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ry/erdgeist_lulu_1.mp3

Susanna
Hi Susanna

Jeanny will PL this for you. However, I have listened to your reading and thought it was splendid. You really captured that dreamy viciousness which makes Lulu such an unusual character. I wouldn't worry about comparing your reading with existing interpretations of the role - just go with what you have. It promises to be very exciting.

By the way, you will need to polish up your French for acts 2 and 3 of Pandora - in fact most of act 2 is in French. Lulu also speaks quite a lot in English in Act 3, but I have a sneaking suspicion you will be able to manage that.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Susanna »

Algy Pug wrote:
Hi Susanna

Jeanny will PL this for you. However, I have listened to your reading and thought it was splendid. You really captured that dreamy viciousness which makes Lulu such an unusual character. I wouldn't worry about comparing your reading with existing interpretations of the role - just go with what you have. It promises to be very exciting.

By the way, you will need to polish up your French for acts 2 and 3 of Pandora - in fact most of act 2 is in French. Lulu also speaks quite a lot in English in Act 3, but I have a sneaking suspicion you will be able to manage that.

Cheers

Algy Pug

Hello! Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have to say, I was a little anxious at first when you mentioned the French! I'm not a French speaker, but I basically understand how to pronounce it. I am studying to be an opera singer, so I deal a lot with languages I don't know, French being a particularly prominent one! I've looked over those acts and I think it should be fine, or at least passable. :)
I'll probably record the 2nd Aufzug of Erdgeist this week.

Susanna
jeanny

Post by jeanny »

Susanna wrote:Hello! Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have to say, I was a little anxious at first when you mentioned the French! I'm not a French speaker, but I basically understand how to pronounce it. I am studying to be an opera singer, so I deal a lot with languages I don't know, French being a particularly prominent one! I've looked over those acts and I think it should be fine, or at least passable. :)

Susanna
Hi Susanna,
That's great news! :D
Your recording of Lulu is excellent!
I'll listen to the recording again when I've copied the text; just to make sure everything's ok. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out which source text might be most accessible, since I'll have to follow the lines with my braille display. Maybe I'll copy the text for each character in a different file, so it might be easier to follow along the recording...
I'm sorry for any delays.
@Algy: Could you please grant me access to the MW?
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Susanna wrote:
Hello! Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have to say, I was a little anxious at first when you mentioned the French! I'm not a French speaker, but I basically understand how to pronounce it. I am studying to be an opera singer, so I deal a lot with languages I don't know, French being a particularly prominent one! I've looked over those acts and I think it should be fine, or at least passable. :)

Susanna
Hi Susanna

I have just checked Acts 2 and 3 of Pandora and Lulu speaks only a very small amount of French. It should pose no problem for you.

Lulu's English in Act 3 is sufficiently unidiomatic so that you won't have to exaggerate her German accent. (Unfortunately, the English of Jack, who murders Lulu is also unidiomatic and I have taken the liberty of editing some of his lines.)

An opera singer! Well, you could look at this recording as preparation for the roles of Lulu in the opera by Berg, (or Marie in his Wozzeck) if your career takes you in that direction. These roles are so difficult to sing that it helps if the performer has a clearly developed view of dramatic aspect of the parts.

I'm looking forward very much to the rest of your reading.

Cheers

Algy

PS. I particularly liked the obvious disdain you expressed towards Schigolch, who must be one of the most replusive characters in Western drama.
Last edited by Algy Pug on December 26th, 2010, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

jeanny wrote: Hi Susanna,
That's great news! :D
Your recording of Lulu is excellent!
I'll listen to the recording again when I've copied the text; just to make sure everything's ok. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out which source text might be most accessible, since I'll have to follow the lines with my braille display. Maybe I'll copy the text for each character in a different file, so it might be easier to follow along the recording...
I'm sorry for any delays.
@Algy: Could you please grant me access to the MW?
Hi jeanny

I will PM the MC (Rainer) to arrange access to the MW for you.

Unfortunately the text sources for the Wedekind plays are not user friendly. Perhaps the best idea would be if I sent you the links for each scene of Erdgeist as they appear in Project Gutenberg DE. I have tried transferring the text to a Googledoc but in the transfer many of the spaces are removed and the text becomes hard to follow. I will prepare a Googledoc with all the links in it and send it to you. The problem is not so great with Pandora, where I have transferred the text to a series of Googledocs, but I will edit them again to make them as readable as possible. I have already created a Googledoc for Jack's lines, because I have edited some of the text - Wedekind's English is not especially idiomatic.

I am glad you liked Susanna's reading. Creating a believable Lulu is not easy and she has done a great job so far.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by jeanny »

Hi Algy,
Thanks for your help with the text. I appreciate it very much. :D
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello jeanny,
I marked you down as dedicated prooflistener (for both parts). You should have access to the magic window now. If you don't have the password yet, just tell me and I'll send it via PM.

Thanks,
Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

jeanny wrote:Hi Algy,
Thanks for your help with the text. I appreciate it very much. :D

I have gone through the text yet again (with many hard feelings about Project Gutenberg DE) and have come with a version which I think you should find quite usable. I should have the whole thing prepared and posted on Zoho (my preferred alterantive to Googledocs) for you by tomorrow.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Susanna »

Algy Pug wrote:
Hi Susanna

I have just checked Acts 2 and 3 of Pandora and Lulu speaks only a very small amount of French. It should pose no problem for you.

Lulu's English in Act 3 is sufficiently unidiomatic so that you won't have to exaggerate her German accent. (Unfortunately, the English of Jack, who murders Lulu is also unidiomatic and I have taken the liberty of editing some of his lines.)

An opera singer! Well, you could look at this recording as preparation for the roles of Lulu in the opera by Berg, (or Marie in his Wozzeck) if your career takes you in that direction. These roles are so difficult to sing that it helps if the performer has a clearly developed view of dramatic aspect of the parts.

I'm looking forward very much to the rest of your reading.

Cheers

Algy

PS. I particularly liked the obvious disdain you expressed towards Schigolch, who must be one of the most replusive characters in Western drama.
Yes, I know of that opera and have listened to it, some. Very tricky atonal stuff, but very intriguing.
Re: Schigolch -- Thanks! I think you must mean Dr. Goll? They're both rather repulsive, but Schigolch does not appear in Aufzug 1. :)

Anyway, here is Aufzug 2. I'm not terribly proud of it. I was struggling with a lot of tongue-twisters in the long speeches of the exchange between Schoen and Lulu rather than focusing on delivering the lines nicely... Hope it turned out okay.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ry/erdgeist_lulu_2.mp3
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thanks Susannah

I'm sorry - I was getting ahead of myself. Lulu and Schigolch have their argument in Aufzug 2. Goll isn't so bad, but none of the men in either play really acquit themselves with dignity and honour. Obviously, Wedekind didn't believe in redemption.

Our DPL should get to your readings soon.

I have also reformatted the text for both plays and updated the links. I think the new versions will be much more user-friendly.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Susanna »

I've reread Aufzug 2 (I'm a major perfectionist...). I really think this one is a lot better. If it isn't too much trouble, could we use this one instead? Oh, and I took the liberty of titling it erdgeist_lulu_2nochmal so that there wouldn't be confusion with two files of the same name... hope that's alright.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ry/erdgeist_lulu_2nochmal.mp3 (14.22)