Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan - ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Welsh Librarian wrote:It just so happens that you replied whilst my computer was being repaired for a failed power pack and I have only just got it back (and I think that might have been a good thing as I have just done a test and found that the hum has disappeared), so here's hoping:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_welshlibrarian.mp3
First of all, the sound itself is good, no background noise (and no hum, as you mentioned).

There are several technical problems, though:
I'm showing a bitrate of 320kbps; it needs to be 128kbps (constant, not variable, or VBR). The recording is in stereo, it should be in mono.

You've got significant plosives. This is when your breath hits the mic on consonants such as p, b, t. You avoid them by moving the mic out of the path of your breath, slightly to one side, above or below your mouth. You can test it by holding your hand in front of the mic and then speaking. If you can feel your breath hitting your hand, you're going to get plosives, so do a bit more adjustment. Another option is to get or make a pop filter (there are instructions on the web for making them out of embroidery hoops and pantyhose).

Last but not least, volume. It's very low. You can increase volume on the mic itself and in the recording software. If you're not sure how/where to do this, let me know what operating system you're running and what software you're using and I'll get you some instructions.
Karen S.
Welsh Librarian

Post by Welsh Librarian »

gypsygirl wrote:First of all, the sound itself is good, no background noise (and no hum, as you mentioned).
Well, that's the important bit!
There are several technical problems, though:
I'm showing a bitrate of 320kbps; it needs to be 128kbps (constant, not variable, or VBR). The recording is in stereo, it should be in mono.

You've got significant plosives. This is when your breath hits the mic on consonants such as p, b, t. You avoid them by moving the mic out of the path of your breath, slightly to one side, above or below your mouth. You can test it by holding your hand in front of the mic and then speaking. If you can feel your breath hitting your hand, you're going to get plosives, so do a bit more adjustment. Another option is to get or make a pop filter (there are instructions on the web for making them out of embroidery hoops and pantyhose).

Last but not least, volume. It's very low. You can increase volume on the mic itself and in the recording software. If you're not sure how/where to do this, let me know what operating system you're running and what software you're using and I'll get you some instructions.
I'll try and figure those out as I go along, but getting rid of the hum was the important bit![/quote]
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

One more thing to keep in mind, we tend to sing louder than we speak, so keep an eye on your wav form to make sure you're not going outside the edges of it (it's called clipping, and it doesn't sound nice) :)
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Julila wrote:Here you are: Act 1 and Act 2.
I hope I didn't miss anything! Also, I'm afraid I just read the acts straight out, that is, I didn't bother with scenes (I totally forgot).
Hey Julie, there's a line missing in Act I. The line is:
ALL: (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away)

It's the "turning away" part that's missing.

I haven't listened to Act II yet.
Karen S.
radames

Post by radames »

Hello Karen,

Here is the correction for Act 1 Scene 1 for the Pirate King dialogue with Frederick. It has the same title for the link.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_a1s1_pirateking_sc.mp3

Thanks,
StephenC
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Thanks, Stephen.
Karen S.
Julila

Post by Julila »

Would you like me to modify the existing file, or upload the phrase as a separate recording?
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Julila wrote:Would you like me to modify the existing file, or upload the phrase as a separate recording?
Either. Whichever's easier for you.
Karen S.
Julila

Post by Julila »

Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Thank you! :D
Karen S.
JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe »

Isabel's lines, 20-second file
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_a1s2_isabel_jb.mp3

Cheers JemmaBlythe
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

JemmaBlythe wrote:Isabel's lines, 20-second file
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_a1s2_isabel_jb.mp3

Cheers JemmaBlythe
Thanks!
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Notice to All Readers

Please could you send me a file in which you say "performed by" your catalog name. I'm missing several of these.

Name the file pop_performedby_yourinitials.mp3
Karen S.
Welsh Librarian

Post by Welsh Librarian »

Despite all my best efforts, I cannot get rid of the plosives. I am using a headset microphone (as that is all I can afford) but would like to play the Sargeant in some way. Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I can still help? I could quite happily record my lines on YouTube is that would help matters?
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Welsh Librarian wrote:Despite all my best efforts, I cannot get rid of the plosives. I am using a headset microphone (as that is all I can afford) but would like to play the Sargeant in some way. Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I can still help? I could quite happily record my lines on YouTube is that would help matters?
My suggestion is that you post your latest attempt in Listeners/Editors Wanted, explaining your difficulties, to see if others might have any ideas on how to improve it.
Karen S.