Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan - ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Bassitenor
Posts: 2
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Post by Bassitenor » November 9th, 2010, 11:10 am

I can't believe this is available!

I'm a classically-trained bass-baritone AND a former Pirate King onstage!

I'd LOVE to be signed up for as many Pirate King roles as you have left to fill, but at LEAST sign me up for the "I am a Pirate King" solo if nothing else is available!

This is going to be SO much fun!

gypsygirl
Posts: 8657
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » November 9th, 2010, 5:26 pm

wdcallahan wrote:
gypsygirl wrote:Sorry, no. All named parts have been taken. We'd love to add your voice to the chorus, though.
I would be very happy to join the chorus! What do I need to do?
Look at the list of songs at the bottom of the first post for songs that say "pirates", "police" or "all". Then look further up in the post to find the filenames to use and, for some, midi files broken into parts. You'll also find a link to the sheet music in that first post.

As for the actual recording, I have an explanation of my methodology in this previous post: http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?p=505370#p505370
Feel free to ask questions if there's something I didn't cover. Glad to have you on board!
Karen S.

gypsygirl
Posts: 8657
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » November 9th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Bassitenor wrote:I can't believe this is available!

I'm a classically-trained bass-baritone AND a former Pirate King onstage!

I'd LOVE to be signed up for as many Pirate King roles as you have left to fill, but at LEAST sign me up for the "I am a Pirate King" solo if nothing else is available!

This is going to be SO much fun!
Unfortunately, all the named roles have been filled. We'd love to add more voices to the chorus, though.
Karen S.

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8250
Joined: June 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by ezwa » November 11th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Hi Karen,

Here are Kate's lines in act 1 (not sure which scene(s) they are in): http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_a1_kate_ezwa.mp3 (0:46)
And her act 1 finale part (a bit high for my voice, obviously): http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_finale_act1_alto_ezwa.mp3 (3:03)

Let me know if I need to redo anything.

Unless I'm mistaken, I still have to record "Poor wandering one" for act 2. And that will be it for Kate.

Cheers,
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau


Lecteurs de poésie : RDV ici.

gypsygirl
Posts: 8657
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » November 11th, 2010, 1:14 pm

ezwa wrote:Hi Karen,

Here are Kate's lines in act 1 (not sure which scene(s) they are in): http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_a1_kate_ezwa.mp3 (0:46)
And her act 1 finale part (a bit high for my voice, obviously): http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_finale_act1_alto_ezwa.mp3 (3:03)

Let me know if I need to redo anything.

Unless I'm mistaken, I still have to record "Poor wandering one" for act 2. And that will be it for Kate.

Cheers,
Brilliant! Thanks, ezwa! :)
Karen S.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17755
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: With my feet in the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » November 12th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Here is Act II, scene 2: A Rollicking Band of Pirates & with cat like tred. Samuel

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_rollicking_samuel_pc.mp3

:D as requested, this is unretouched and 'as is' in all it's glory, so it's kinda raw.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

My wife just gave me a "Get Better Soon" card. I'm not sick. She just thinks I should be better.


These Tutorial Videos Certified Virus Free !!

gypsygirl
Posts: 8657
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » November 12th, 2010, 8:49 pm

philchenevert wrote:Here is Act II, scene 2: A Rollicking Band of Pirates & with cat like tred. Samuel

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_rollicking_samuel_pc.mp3

:D as requested, this is unretouched and 'as is' in all it's glory, so it's kinda raw.
That's great. It's easier for me to match all the different parts if they haven't been over-processed. :)
Karen S.

BookAngel7
Posts: 1017
Joined: August 30th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Post by BookAngel7 » December 4th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Whew! I'm back, finally...

Here is Edith's part of "When the foeman bares his steel"

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_foeman_edith_at.mp3

Please check the volume and see if it needs work. My hard drive got wiped out, so I had to reinstall everything, including Audacity, and I don't remember what all my settings were. It seems like the waveforms are smaller than they used to be, but I don't remember all of the tricks to increase the input volume. If this is too low, I can try to amplify it (or tweak my settings and re-record if I have to).

Two more songs to go, and I'm still in the game. Hopefully, they'll be finished soon. Thanks for your patience. :)

bookAngel7

gypsygirl
Posts: 8657
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » December 5th, 2010, 8:52 am

Yay!

The volume is quite low, but it amplified nicely without hiss or background noise, so no need to re-do this one, just increase the volume for future recordings. :)
Karen S.

BookAngel7
Posts: 1017
Joined: August 30th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Post by BookAngel7 » December 6th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Okay, I think I've worked the volume issues out...

Here is Edith's part of "Oh Dry the Glist'ning Tear" (just the soprano part--no solo):

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_glistning_edith_at.mp3

Also, although I've done most of the basic soprano parts as Edith, I've found a few where Edith's part was different from the normal soprano line or where the chorus came in partway through her solo. So, here are the chorus parts for "Climbing Over Rocky Mountain" that were not included in Edith's file:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_climbing_daughter_at.mp3

I only have one song left for Edith, but I need a little help. Could you tell me how you isolated the parts for the other files so that I can get the part for Edith/soprano in the Act II finale? It helps a lot to have them separated; otherwise, I tend to only hear the melody line. :?

Thanks for all your help!

bookAngel7

gypsygirl
Posts: 8657
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » December 6th, 2010, 2:51 pm

BookAngel7 wrote:Okay, I think I've worked the volume issues out...

Here is Edith's part of "Oh Dry the Glist'ning Tear" (just the soprano part--no solo):

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_glistning_edith_at.mp3

Also, although I've done most of the basic soprano parts as Edith, I've found a few where Edith's part was different from the normal soprano line or where the chorus came in partway through her solo. So, here are the chorus parts for "Climbing Over Rocky Mountain" that were not included in Edith's file:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_climbing_daughter_at.mp3

I only have one song left for Edith, but I need a little help. Could you tell me how you isolated the parts for the other files so that I can get the part for Edith/soprano in the Act II finale? It helps a lot to have them separated; otherwise, I tend to only hear the melody line. :?

Thanks for all your help!

bookAngel7
Actually, Catherine, our MC did those. I'll drop her a PM and see if she's able to do the Finale of Act I for Edith, or tell me how she did it.
Karen S.

BookAngel7
Posts: 1017
Joined: August 30th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Post by BookAngel7 » December 6th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Thanks!

Here are a couple more non-Edith soprano chorus parts:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_fate_daughter_at.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_foeman_daughter_at.mp3

That should leave the Act II finale as the only thing left. :)

bookAngel7

ceastman
Posts: 4212
Joined: December 28th, 2005, 8:36 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA

Post by ceastman » December 6th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Here's a Midi file of Act II Finale with Edith's part amplified (let me know if it's not enough; I did this just using a mixer, and didn't really listen through...)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ActIIfinale-Edith.mp3

And here's an MP3 of the soprano part amplified:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ActIIfinale-Sop.mp3

And here's an MP3 of the straight midi file, no parts amplified:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ActIIfinale.mp3

I am willing to produce additional part-amplified files upon request. (PMing me is a good way to ask - I don't log in very regularly!)

By the way, hamienet.com seems to work pretty well as a free online way of converting Midis to MP3 or WAV files, if you don't want to use iTunes to convert the files. :)

-Catharine

gypsygirl
Posts: 8657
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » December 7th, 2010, 5:35 am

Thanks, Catherine!
Karen S.

Welsh Librarian
Posts: 17
Joined: February 24th, 2010, 4:10 pm
Location: Ceredigion, Wales
Contact:

Post by Welsh Librarian » December 7th, 2010, 3:47 pm

I have uploaded my test as requested at http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_welshlibrarian.mp3 and would like to help with this again if I may (or if all parts have been allocated, would be happy to help with any other G&S suggestions). Might I put forward the idea of Iolanthe given the new coalition governments in the UK and Australia.
[b]Good evening, gentlemen[/b]

Post Reply