[COMPLETE]Scrambles Amongst the Alps, 1860-69/E.Whymper-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
clifford

Post by clifford »

Scrambles Amongst the Alps in the Years 1860-69, by Edward Whymper (1840-1911).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/scrambles-amongst-the-alps-in-the-years-1860-69-by-edward-whymper//
Scrambles Amongst the Alps is one the great classics (some would say the greatest) of early mountaineering literature, and Edward Whymper (1840-1911) one of the leading figures of the early years of Alpine climbing. He is best known, of course, for his many attempts on the Matterhorn, and for the loss of four members of his climbing party after the successful first ascent of the peak in July, 1865. Although the Matterhorn stands in ways in the center of his book, there are descriptions of many other ascents as well, in the Alps of France and Italy, as well as those of Switzerland. His book, incidentally, has many of his drawings in it (he was originally an illustrator by profession), and listeners might wish to call up the .pdf file from which it is read, to have the benefit of the illustrations. (Introduction by Nicholas Clifford)
  • Target completion date: December, 2010
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/stream/scramblesamongs00whymgoog#page/n0/mode/1up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

===========================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of [Scrambles Amongst the Alps, 1860-69]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [Nicholas Clifford]"
    • Say:
      "[Scrambles Amongst the Alps, 186-69], by [Edward Whymper]. [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of [Book title] by [Author]. . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [Nicholas Clifford], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [Scrambles Amongst the Alps], by [Edward Whymper]. "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    scramblesamongstthealps_##_whymper.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Edward Whymper
    Album: Scrambles Amongst the Alps
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

----------------------------------------------------
Anne -- here are some notes to the above form, which may or may not be helpful.

a) I hope the facts that a) Whymper ultimately climbed the Matterhorn, and b) that his party suffered a terrible accident on the descent do not count as spoilers. (After all, if it were a book about Sir Edmund Hillary, would we try to hold back his being one of the two men who were the first to reach Everest?) The dramatic story of the first ascent and the accident is known to just about everyone who cares about mountains and mountaineering; but if you prefer, you could use this:

Scrambles Amongst the Alps is one the great classics (some would say the greatest) of early mountaineering literature, and Edward Whymper (1840-1911) one of the leading figures of the early years of Alpine climbing. He is best known, of course, for his many attempts on the Matterhorn, then unclimbed, and though the Matterhorn stands in ways in the center of his book, there are descriptions of many other ascents as well, in the Alps of France and Italy, as well as those of Switzerland. His book, incidentally, has many of his drawings in it (he was originally an illustrator by profession), and listeners might wish to call up the .pdf file from which it is read, to have the benefit of the illustrations.

b) have said 22 sections, for there are 22 chapters, and the preface can go with Chap. I. But some of the chapters are quite long, and I may find one or two that I’m going to have to break into two sections.

c) Furthermore, the text I am reading from is a .pdf of the 1872 publication by J.P. Lippincott in Philadelphia in 1872, and I assume it’s identical to the first English edition (published by John Murray the same year). Whymper’s book has been published many times since its original appearance, and I think it’s still in print, in one version or another. Some of the later editions had changes, the addition of notes and appendices, and so forth.

d) Finally, Whymper’s work has some – not many – footnotes. I’ve chosen to read those that have to do directly with the text, such as those that explain something, but not those that simply reference other works.

Hope you enjoy it.

Best, Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set up :D
I suggest you start your titles in the MW with 01 - etc just to keep things sorting in order , then you can put what you want in the rest of the field
There will be no problem adding more rows at the bottom , just tell me when you need them.
The book looks delightful - very British! and the illustrations are lovely.
I'll be out most of today but will fix anything you need fixing this evening

Anne
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

This book looks like an unbelievably fun read :D Good luck with this one, Clifford - I will be listening to this when you are done..!! :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Time to be off to going Solo :D

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne -

The first two chapters are now up in the MW, and I hope I've done them right. I put the Preface, which is not very long, in with Chapter I, but can split them if you think it advsiable.

Many thanks once again for taking on the work of proofing this. I think I was about 15 when I first read this book, dreaming of becoming a great Alpine climber, and though I did some climbing in the Alps and elsewhere, "great" is not an adjective I'd claim. Or anything near it.

Best, Nick
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi, I'm downloading chapter 1 for PL'ing and I'll return later with notes.

Cheers,
Betty
Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation: Any article or statement about correct grammar, punctuation, or spelling is bound to contain at
least one eror.
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Chapter 1 is PL OK!

That first chapter was exciting. Very well read.

Regards,
Betty
clifford

Post by clifford »

Betty -- many thanks indeed for taking this on, and I'm glad you like it.

Nick Clifford
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Chapter 2 is PL OK

I just want to let you know that i may not be able to PL these chapters right away as I have other commitments. But I will do my best to keep up.

Regards,
Betty
Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation: Any article or statement about correct grammar, punctuation, or spelling is bound to contain at
least one eror.
clifford

Post by clifford »

Chapters 3 to 5 are now up in the MW. Since I'm off to Italy in about a week to visit my daughter and her family, there's no hurry in PLing, at least as far as I'm concerned.

There is a very slight problem with chapter v. Somehow Google in scanning the book seems to have left out p. 54. I ran down another scanned copy of the text, and though it's in a format that doesn't work particularly well to read from, at least it was possible to reconstruct the missing page. Here it is:

(p. 53, bottom) The Tower was now almost out of sight, and I looked over the central Pennine Alps to the Grand Combin and to the chain of Mont Blanc. My neighbor, the Dent d'Herens, still rose above me, although but slightly, and the height which had been attained could be measured by its help. So far, I had no doubts about my capacity to descend that which had been ascended ; but in a short time, on looking ahead, I saw that the cliffs steepened, and I turn- ed back (without pushing on to them and getting into inextricable difficulties), ex- ulting in the thought that they would be passed when we returned together, and that I had without assistance got nearly (end of p. 53)

SCRAMBLES AMONGST THE ALPS IN i86o-'69.

(p. 54 begins) to the height of the Dent d'Herens, and considerably higher than any one had been before.* My exultation was a little premature.

About five P. M. I left the tent again, and thought myself as good as at Breuil. The friendly rope and claw had done good service, and had smoothed all the difficulties. I lowered myself through the Chimney, however, by making a fixture of the rope, which I then cut off and left behind, as there was enough and to spare. My axe had proved a great nuisance in coming down, and I left it in the tent. It was not attached to the baton, but was a separate affair an old navy boarding-axe. While cutting up the different snow-beds on the ascent, the baton trailed behind fastened to the rope ; and when climb- ing the axe was carried behind, run through the rope tied round my waist, and was sufficiently out of the way ; but in descending, when coming down face outward (as is always best where it is possible), the head or the handle of the weapon caught frequently against the rocks, and several times nearly up- set me. So, out of laziness if you will, it was left in the tent. I paid dearly for the imprudence.

The Col du Lion was passed, and fifty yards more would have placed me on the "Great Staircase," down which one can run. But on arriving at an angle of the cliffs of the Tete du Lion, while skirting the upper edge of the snow which abuts against them, I found that the heat of the two past days had nearly obliterated the steps which had been cut when coming up. The rocks happened to be impracticable just at this corner, so nothing could be done except make the steps afresh. The snow was too hard to beat or tread down, and at the angle it was all but ice : half a dozen steps only were re- quired, and then the ledges could be followed again. So I held to the rock

* A remarkable streak of snow (marked " cravate " in the outline of the Matterhorn as seen from the Theodule) runs across the cliff at this part of the mountain. My highest point was somewhat higher than the lowest part of this snow, and wes conseqently nearly 13,500 feet above the sea.

with my right hand, and prodded at the snow with the point of my stick until a good step was made, and then, leaning round the angle, did the same for the other side. So far well, but in attempt- ing to pass the corner (to the present moment I cannot tell how it happened) I slipped and fell.

The slope was steep on which this took place, and descended to the top of a gully that led down through two subordinate buttresses toward the Gla- cier du Lion, which was just seen, a thousand feet below. The gully nar- rowed and narrowed until there was a mere thread of snow lying between two walls of rock, which came to an abrupt termination at the top of a precipice that intervened between it and the gla- cier. Imagine a funnel cut in half through its length, placed at an angle of forty-five degrees, with its point be- low and its concave side uppermost, and you will have a fair idea of the place.

The knapsack brought my head down first, and I pitched into some rocks about a dozen feet below : they caught something and tumbled me off the edge, head over heels, into the gully. The baton was dashed from my hands, and I whirled downward in a series of bounds, each longer than the last now over ice, now into rocks striking my head four or five times, each time with increased force. The last bound sent me spinning through the air, in a leap of fifty or sixty feet, from one side of the gully to the other, and I struck the rocks, luckily, with the whole of my left side. They caught my clothes for a moment, and I fell back on to the snow with motion arrested : my head fortunately came the right side up, and a few frantic catches brought me to a halt in the neck of the gully and on the verge of the precipice. Baton, hat and veil skimmed by and disappeared, and the crash of the rocks which I had start- ed, as they fell on to the glacier, told how narrow had been the escape from utter destruction. As it was, I fell near- ly two hundred feet in seven or eight bounds. Ten feet more would have (end of p. 54 -- continue on Google pdf p. 55)

I hope that's enough to PL from, but if not, I could send you the text separately. It's a dramatic moment, since Whymper almost succeeded in putting a sudden end to his Alpine career, and maybe the people at Google were so excited by it that they left the page out.

Best, Nick
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Section 3 is PL OK!

Thanks for warning me about the problem with the scan for section 5. I don't think I'll have difficulty PL'ing it now that you've supplied the missing page.
Google scans aren't ideal sometimes I've found.

Thanks,
Betty
least one eror.
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Section 4 is PL OK!

Very fine reading. :)

Best regards,
Betty
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Nick
I missed the fact that you were using a capital W in your file name - I have changed them all up till now , could you change any future ones ? :D

Anne
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Section 5 is PL OK.

That was a harrowing experience falling like that. :shock:

Regards,
Betty
clifford

Post by clifford »

Sorry, I didn't realize I'd been using a capital W -- no doubt out of respect for Mr. Whymper's Alpine abilities.

I lower cased his name in Chapter VI, which I have just put up in the MW. And since I'm leaving home (and the country) for a couple of weeks, there'll be nothing further from me till early October. I've read all the way through Chap. XII, but have to proof everything from VII on.

Best, Nick