[COMPLETE]Scrambles Amongst the Alps, 1860-69/E.Whymper-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
clifford

Post by clifford »

I have listed the two appendices, A and B, as "chapter 23" because it seemed to make sense, particularly for anyone downloading it. But of course it's not a real chapter at all. Let me know if you think this doesn't make sense, and should be listed some other way.

In any case, barring changes and corrections, this marks the end of Scrambles, which I have greatly enjoyed reading. And many, many thanks to Betty, and once more to Anne, for all your help.Sorry for the gloomy ending as they came down the Matterhorn, but this is one of the classic mountaineering tales.

Nick
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi Nick,

I've PL'ed two more sections:

Section 21 is PL OK!

Section 20 has a glitch that needs your attention:

At 7:54 after this line: “This was quite a new idea to my guide, and he said nothing more against the use of the rope so long as we were together.”

missing this passage:

“I believe that the unwillingness to use a rope upon snow-covered glacier which born mountaineers not unfrequently exhibit, arises-first on the part of expert men from the consciousness that they themselves incur little risk, secondly, on the part of inferior men from fear of ridicule, and from aping the ways of their superiors; and thirdly, from pure ignorance or laziness.. Whatever may be the reason, I raise my voice against the neglect of a precaution so simple and effectual. In my opinion, the very first thing a glacier-traveler requires is plenty of good rope.”

The rest of the file is fine.

I'll get to the last two sections by tomorrow.

Best regards,
Betty
clifford

Post by clifford »

I've put the corrected version up in the MW, and adjusted the time and size.

Bad mistake, to leave out a whole paragraph like that. And an important subject. Many years ago, during a high altitude descent after a big snowstorm, the man in front of me (who, unlike me, was a great mountaineer) dropped through a hidden crevasse, and it took three of us the better part of an hour to extricate him, with no harm ultimately done. Maybe I was trying to block that from my memory!

Many thanks once again for catching the error -- I hope it's the last.

Best, Nick
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi, I've PL'ed the final two files and Sections 22 and 23 are both PL OK.

I spot checked section 20 and that's good to go now.

This was a fascinating book. To think that people were climbing back then with primitive equipment and ideas. No wonder some of them perished.

Thank you Nick, another great solo under your belt!

Regards,
Betty
Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation: Any article or statement about correct grammar, punctuation, or spelling is bound to contain at
least one eror.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Nick and Betty. I'm looking forward to downloading it - though mountain climbing would not appeal to me as a sport - climbing up I could cope with but I can't even climb down ladders readily - and as for abseiling etc.

It is a very English title isn't it? Scrambles - I expect he took a picnic set and a rug :D
So .....

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/scrambles-amongst-the-alps-in-the-years-1860-69-by-edward-whymper//
clifford

Post by clifford »

It's amazing what those 19th century men did with their primitive equipment in the mountains. I wish Whymper had told us a little bit more about what he and his companions wore, particularly on their feet -- hobnail boots, I suppose. There are some photographs of George Leigh Mallory and Andrew Irvine, who disappeared on Mt. Everest in 1924, and though they may or may not have reached the top, they certainly got up over 28,000 feet. If I remember the photos right, they're wearing tweeds and, I think, perhaps neckties as well.

Interesting that at the end of Appendix A, Whymper mentions that a woman -- the daughter of the guide Carrel, I think -- reached the top of the mountain in '67 or '68, presumably the first woman to do so. What did she wear? There are lots of late 19th century photos of women on Swiss and French and Italian glaciers and the like, all wearing long skirts falling to their ankles, but they're not doing any serious mountaineering. I can't imagine that Ms. Carrel wore a long skirt in negotiating the difficulties of the Italian route on the Matterhorn. If she did, and still succeeded, she must have been an extraordinary person.

Many thanks once again to both of you for all your help. I'm going to jump back to Trollope and into the Small House at Allingham when it goes up.

Nick
Librimac

Post by Librimac »

Excellent reading. One believes to listen to Whymper himself (if he were an American). Dealing with French and German names and endless footnotes certainly was a huge challenge and deserves praise. I like this recording which makes a great book available again also as a contribution to defend Whymper against the likes of Messner who try to undermine Whymper's status for some years now, obviously with some politically correct, pardon: "green", messages which completeley ignore the evidence of Whymper himself.