[COMPLETE]The Small House at Allington/ Anthony Trollope-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope (1815-1882)).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-small-house-at-allington-by-anthony-trollope/
Fifth novel in the Barsetshire series, The Small House at Allington is largely focused on the Small House's inhabitants, Mrs. Dale and her two marriageable daughters, Lily and Bell. The two girls, of course, have suitors: their cousin, Bernard Dale, his friend Adolphus Crosbie, and the local boy, Johnny Eames, whose career in London is to mark him as far more than the "hobbledehoy" that he has earlier been considered. Crosbie is a social climber, and his connection with the dysfunctional de Courcys of Barsetshire give the author a chance for a splendid portrayal of an aristocratic family in decline. As with many of AT's novels, there are subplots as well, and many pictures of rural life standing in contrast to that of London. Some critics have seen in the portrayal of Johnny Eames something of an autobiographical exercise on Trollope's part.(Summary by Nicholas Clifford)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is DD Month YYYY.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4599
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: [BC please fill in]

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of "The Small House at Allington". - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    smallhouseatallington_##_trollope.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. smallhouseatallington_01_trollope.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Anthony Trollope
    Album: The Small House at Allington

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by annise on October 22nd, 2010, 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
clifford

Post by clifford »

May I kick this off with the first two chapters? but if some one else particularly wants them, I'll do others.

Nick Clifford
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Do come in - welcome. Do take the first 2 chapters :D

Anne
simonevers

Post by simonevers »

Good to see! May I take 3 and 4 for starters, please?

Simon
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Certainly Simon - 3 and 4 are yours :D

Anne
simonevers

Post by simonevers »

Here's Chapter 2 - 25 mins 1 sec:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/smallhouseatarlington_03_trollope.mp3

I'm already warming to the characters!

Simon
simonevers

Post by simonevers »

Sorry - it's Chapter 3, of course -

Simon
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Simon - I think that is what I am enjoying about his writing , he likes his people :D
Moving us to readers wanted

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Here's chap. i of the new book. Good to be back with Trollope again.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/smallhouseatallington_01_trollope.mp3
time: 21.54
size: 20.0mb

Nick
clifford

Post by clifford »

Here's chap. ii:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/smallhouseatallington_02_trollope.mp3
time: 29.02
size: 26.5mb

I hope I pronounced "Beaufort" right, though I did it the American (at least southern American) way as Bewfort, rather than Bowfort. I can always fix if that's wrong.
My childhood memories tell me the RAF had a bomber in WWII called a Beaufort, but I don't think I ever heard the word pronounced.

Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Nick
to the best of my knowledge Beaufort Bombers were called Bowfort (bow as in buttons and bows , not bow and curtsey :D but I don't see it as a major problem.

Anne
Last edited by annise on October 23rd, 2010, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonevers

Post by simonevers »

As a 'proper' Englishman, I can confirm you're right - it's definitely 'Bowfort'! (There is a Duke of Beaufort).

Simon
clifford

Post by clifford »

I corrected my Bewforts to Bowforts, and have reuploaded the file: same name, etc., as before. Might as well get it right this early in the book.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/smallhouseatallington_02_trollope.mp3

The Marchioness of Hartletop is, I think, she who was born Griselda Grantly?

Nick
doublemirrors

Post by doublemirrors »

Hi annise,

I'll take 05 and 06 if that's okay! :)

- DB
Full souls are double mirrors, making still
An endless vista of fair things before,
Repeating things behind.
- Griswold Williams
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All yours - as it is your first longer reading , let me know if you have any problems, and do post the first chapter when you have done it so if any problems do emerge we can help fix them :D . Hope you enjoy them

Anne