[COMPLETE] Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 17th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson (1871-1914).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/lord-of-the-world-by-robert-hugh-benson/
“Mr. Benson sees the world, four or five generations hence, free at last from all minor quarrels, and ranged against itself in two camps, Humanitarianism for those who believe in no divinity but that of man, Catholicism for those who believe in no divinity but that of God.” This apocalyptic novel from the early 1900's is sometimes deemed one of the first modern dystopias. (Summary from an original London Times review and Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 17 August 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.authorama.com/lord-of-the-world-1.html
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin ========
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Book [number] Chapter [number] Part [number] of Lord of the World - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Lord of the World, by Robert Hugh Benson. Book [number] Chapter [number] Part [number] "

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Book [number] Chapter [number] Part [number] "
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Lord of the World, by Robert Hugh Benson."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lordoftheworld_##_benson.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. lordoftheworld_01_benson.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Robert Hugh Benson
    Album: Lord of the World
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by m8b1 on August 18th, 2010, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 17th, 2010, 2:16 pm

I used the source link I did (the text of which came from PG anyway) instead of Gutenberg, because it was hard to tell where the sections/chapters are on the PG text.

The book is divided into three books, which are divided into chapters, which are themselves divided into sections - making it very complicated! This way I should be able to link directly to the sections, and it is much easier to read in my opinion! :)

lezer

Post by lezer » August 18th, 2010, 11:40 am

Hello Maria,
I can be your MC for this project - I'll be back later this evening (evening my time that is :D) with MW etc.
Anna

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 18th, 2010, 11:54 am

Thank you, Anna. Much appreciated!

lezer

Post by lezer » August 18th, 2010, 12:07 pm

You're welcome!

Your first post looks very good - nothing to add, really. I can see you have experience as a BC.
The link to that authorama site looks good (only shame is the ads, but they are not very obtrusive), and I agree, will much easier to link to specific sections in the MW. I'm not sure how you came to 59 sections - if you find you need more or less later, just let me know and I can adjust. You should be able to get the MW ready now.

I suggest we leave the project in the Launch Pad at least until the MW is all set up.

One advice: I see the number of projects you are BC'ing is growing steadily - nothing wrong with that if you have the time for it and are enjoying it - but I would advise you to keep a look at your projects in "Readers Found" - they always tend to linger there much longer than necessary, and the only way some of them ever get finished is by a good "orphaning" of sections now and then. Not the most beloved part of BC-ing for most people... (Although looking through your projects, most of them are not that old anyway, yet).

Oh, and one question: we have to assign genres to each project. I've chosen fiction, literature, science fiction and religion so far. This is the complete list of genres to select from: http://librivox.org/newcatalog/genres.php - do you agree with my selection, or would you like something else?

Have fun!

Anna

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 18th, 2010, 1:12 pm

lezer wrote:You're welcome!

Your first post looks very good - nothing to add, really. I can see you have experience as a BC.
The link to that authorama site looks good (only shame is the ads, but they are not very obtrusive), and I agree, will much easier to link to specific sections in the MW. I'm not sure how you came to 59 sections - if you find you need more or less later, just let me know and I can adjust. You should be able to get the MW ready now.
Thanks again. I didn't even realize that the authorama site had ads until now - I use firefox with adblock ~ so they got blocked out for me! Despite them, I still think it is better than going with the PG one - the sections/chapter/books were really confusing!

As for the 59 sections, I think I counted correctly, but I won't know for sure until I fill in the MW. It was actually originally published in one book - separated into three sections (or books), which were separated into chapters and the chapters separated into sections. Confusing ~ but makes for shorter sections to read if nothing else!!

I suggest we leave the project in the Launch Pad at least until the MW is all set up.
lezer wrote:One advice: I see the number of projects you are BC'ing is growing steadily - nothing wrong with that if you have the time for it and are enjoying it - but I would advise you to keep a look at your projects in "Readers Found" - they always tend to linger there much longer than necessary, and the only way some of them ever get finished is by a good "orphaning" of sections now and then. Not the most beloved part of BC-ing for most people... (Although looking through your projects, most of them are not that old anyway, yet).
Yep, that part is not the part I look forward to. I have only had to contact one reader so far, and they actually have it recorded but not edited. Though, looking at my projects right now, I realized I have somebody who has hit the two month mark I have to contact, and probally a bunch more pretty soon!

I am limiting myself to how many projects I am BC'ing - and how many are in readers wanted. Something has to move to reader's found before I consider starting another! This is probably it for now until something is totally completed!
lezer wrote:Oh, and one question: we have to assign genres to each project. I've chosen fiction, literature, science fiction and religion so far. This is the complete list of genres to select from: http://librivox.org/newcatalog/genres.php - do you agree with my selection, or would you like something else?

Have fun!

Anna
:D

Looks fine to me! If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks again :D

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 18th, 2010, 4:10 pm

I'll try to finish filling in the MW tomorrow. :D

Edited to add: Of course as soon as I say that, I go ahead and do it tonight! :P

neckertb

Post by neckertb » August 20th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Hi Maria

This looks nice, may I read section 3?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 20th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Hi Nadine,

Sure, it's all yours. Thanks for asking! :)

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » August 22nd, 2010, 3:01 am

halloooo, if you are looking for a dpl, id like to volunteer for that.. "apocalyptic novel" sounds quite interesting :D

CK

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 22nd, 2010, 4:59 am

Hi Carolin,

That would be great, thanks for voluteering!

lezer

Post by lezer » August 22nd, 2010, 2:10 pm

Great - the team is complete.
Time to move to Readers Wanted I think!

Carolin, have you been DPL before? If not, I can send you details on how you can use the MW to enter your notes there. Let me know.

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » August 22nd, 2010, 2:27 pm

i did dont worry, but thanks!
now im waiting for the first section to listen to :)

CK

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » September 6th, 2010, 5:49 am

we're starting a bit slow here, is everyone still on holiday?
I started reading some pages of the book over the weekend and it sounds really good so I'm waiting for the sections to pour in :wink:

CK

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » September 6th, 2010, 6:14 am

Carolin wrote:we're starting a bit slow here, is everyone still on holiday?
I started reading some pages of the book over the weekend and it sounds really good so I'm waiting for the sections to pour in :wink:

CK
Hi Carolin,

Sorry it is starting off so slow! I kind of figured it wouldn't be the fastest book to pick up readers ~ but hoped it would move a little faster than this!

That being said, I intend to start reading some chapters myself as soon as I finish the solo I am working on (which is almost complete!).

So I'll go ahead and claim the first section for myself, and hopefully get it up for you to listen to soon!

Thanks for your patience!