COMPLETE - Henry VI Part 2 - Shakespeare - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Henry VI Part 2 by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/henry-vi-part-2-by-william-shakespeare
Henry VI, Part 2 or The Second Part of Henry the Sixt (often written as 2 Henry VI) is a history play by William Shakespeare believed to have been written in 1591, and set during the lifetime of King Henry VI of England. Whereas 1 Henry VI deals primarily with the loss of England's French territories and the political machinations leading up to the Wars of the Roses, and 3 Henry VI deals with the horrors of that conflict, 2 Henry VI focuses on the King's inability to quell the bickering of his nobles, the death of his trusted adviser Duke Humphrey of Gloucester, the rise of the Duke of York and the inevitability of armed conflict. As such, the play culminates with the opening battle of the War, the First Battle of St Albans.

Henry VI may be viewed as a study in insurrection, which moves from the private and personal jostlings in the court in Part 1 to outright civil war in Part 3. In Part 2 the discord between prominent state officials, notably Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, and Henry Beaufort, Bishop of Winchester, spreads to the common people, fomenting an abortive rebellion, lead by the rascally Kentishman, Jack Cade. With the death of Humphrey, the period of regency for the naive Henry effectively comes to an end, and the unworldly monarch is helplessly exposed to the interminable strife between the factions of the houses of York and of Lancaster. The structure of the play differs from the other two parts in that there is a central rustic idyll (Act 4), populated by clownish characters, which recalls the idyllic centrepieces of comedies like A Midsummer Night's Dream and As You Like It. The plays with the effective desposition of Henry, who is later re-installed as king in Part 3 by the influential Earl of Warwick.

Henry VI, Part 2 has the largest cast of all Shakespeare's plays, and is seen by many critics as the best of the Henry VI trilogy. (Summary from Wikipedia with addition by Algy Pug)
  1. Is there a deadline?

We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 01 April 2011.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/playmenu.php?WorkID=henry6p2
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

==========================================

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

BC - please provide *all of* the following:
    • Number of sections (roles) this project will have: 72

Those readers who have been allocated a role that also occurs in Part 1 or Part 3 will be automatically allocated the equivalent role in this project.

With the parts of Commons and "All" the entire cast is invited to participate. Please match the pace of your readings to the ones posted in the Magic Window. Please create two files and upload them with the names henryvipart2_commons_(your initials in lower case) and henryvipart2_all_(your initials in lower case) e.g henryvipart2_commons_abc
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VI,_part_2
    • Short description (please state who wrote the description. This can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD):Henry VI, Part 2 or The Second Part of Henry the Sixt (often written as 2 Henry VI) is a history play by William Shakespeare believed to have been written in 1591, and set during the lifetime of King Henry VI of England. Whereas 1 Henry VI deals primarily with the loss of England's French territories and the political machinations leading up to the Wars of the Roses, and 3 Henry VI deals with the horrors of that conflict, 2 Henry VI focuses on the King's inability to quell the bickering of his nobles, the death of his trusted adviser Duke Humphrey of Gloucester, the rise of the Duke of York and the inevitability of armed conflict. As such, the play culminates with the opening battle of the War, the First Battle of St Albans. Summary from Wikipedia
    • Date of first publication: 1623
    • Year of author's death: 1616
      ===========================================
    • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of [Henry VI, Part 2], by [William Shakespeare]. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of [Henry VI, Part 2], by [William Shakespeare].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 henryvipart2_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Algy Pug on December 19th, 2010, 3:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Henry VI has now been posted.

Gloriana has kindly agreed to be MC.

Roles already taken are as follows:
Queen Margaret - Gloriana
Richard Plantagenet - Mark Penfold
Eleanore, Duchess of Gloucester - MusicalHeart1
Jack Cade - Algy Pug

Please feel happy to claim other roles. Please bear in mind that if your role also occurs in Part 3, it will be assumed that you will be reading that as well.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by gloriana »

OK, all set up. Will do Part 3 later (sneaking this one in during breakfast!).
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

I'd like to read the minor role of Bolingbroke the conjurer (I,4).

The text gives the opening of a spirit conjuration, as follows -
"BOLINGBROKE or SOUTHWELL reads, Conjuro te, &c. It thunders and lightens terribly..."

I would like to use the invocation given in this link, which matches the occasion and the use of the "circle" - http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/jesuit.htm#chap1

Conjuro te per ineffabile nomen: Tetragrammaton, quod in Charta hac inscriptum observas, ut sanctissimi hujus nominis virtute exactissimam in momento mihi praestes obedientiam: idque sine fraude, fallacia et aequivocatione.

(I presume it will be largely drowned out by the thunderstorm.)

Regards
Martin
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Can I claim Simpcox's Wife please. (I just think Simpcox is an awesome name.)
So little space, so much to say.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thank you Martin

The role is yours. Please weave your magic for us.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Lucy_k_p wrote:Can I claim Simpcox's Wife please. (I just think Simpcox is an awesome name.)
Thank you Lucy

The role is yours. And I'm expecting a colourful accent.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by wintercellist »

Hi, I'm eyeing a slew of the minor roles, a few of which I could probably
record as a single file:
  • Margaret & Spirit
    First, Second & Third neighbour
    First & Second murderer
And, I could probably try Young Clifford/Lord Clifford, or finish up some
other minor characters while I'm at it. Thing is, would you be comfortable
with me doing so many characters since I'm still new at all this?

EDIT: Since I had a little time, I thought I'd try out the three neighbours
(not recorded/saved as per format, though), so we could check if I'm on
the right track:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/henryvipart2_The3Neighbours_2.mp3
`Sarah
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Just a quick question: How is Simpcox pronounced? Simp-cocks would be my uninformed guess, but I'd hate to disagree with my husband.
So little space, so much to say.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Lucy_k_p wrote:Just a quick question: How is Simpcox pronounced? Simp-cocks would be my uninformed guess, but I'd hate to disagree with my husband.
Hi Lucy

Good question. I think I'll let Gloriana pick this one up. Unfortunately. I cannot claim to be a Shakespeare scholar.

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by gloriana »

Yep, Simp-cocks sounds right to me.
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

This is Bolingbroke, a conjurer (a Welshman like myself - I find the rolling rrr's help to suggest his charlatanism) -

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/henryvipart2_bolingbroke_1.mp3

Duration - 03:05

Best regards
Martin
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

The Spirit has arisen - for 2 minutes and 16 seconds.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/henryvipart2_spirit_1.mp3

PL required.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Rowland »

I could perhaps have a go at (09) Duke of Buckingham if you think that OK?

Lars :)
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

MARTIN GEESON wrote:Hi

This is Bolingbroke, a conjurer (a Welshman like myself - I find the rolling rrr's help to suggest his charlatanism) -

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/henryvipart2_bolingbroke_1.mp3

Duration - 03:05

Best regards
Martin
Thank you Martin!

A trrremendous performance! I particularly liked the full conjuration and the Welsh accent. PL OK.

If you are interested you might like to listen to the response of the hapless spirit, which has just been uploaded.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page