[COMPLETE] Unbeaten Tracks in Japan by I. L. Bird - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Great!
It's a bit late tonight but I promise I'll take a look....er, hear? at it tomorrow :)

And Asakusa probably has many more foreign tourists now ; )
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Both Letter 4 and 5 are PL OK and I've updated the MC!

I really want one of those little boxes she mentioned. The ones that have something inside that when you drop them in water they spread into flowers and trees?

And the spitting prayer.... haha.

note to self: P.25
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Finally I've managed to do some editing. Sections 6 and 7, which together make up letter 6 are uploaded... :wink:

ETA: and I found more time for letter 7, but that one is only 5 minutes anyway.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

おつかれさまです~!

I'm sorry to be so late!
I've been running around finishing finals and also my mom and my friend have just come to visit from Japan!
I promise I'll not use it as an excuse to have been late to PL again though :)

I've done the first one, 06 - Letter VI part 1, and it is PL OK :D
Her observations really make me laugh sometimes.

I'll keep updating the MC as soon as I finish the rest!
Sorry for the wait.

p.31
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Don't worry - no stress!
I am working on my other solo these days, so it may be quite a while until I get to upload anything else...

I wish you Happy Holidays! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Thanks!
I still want to get it done though...!!

Good luck on your other solos (`・ω・´)キリッ
I'll be looking forward to them too!

Happy Holidays to you too(ノ*´ワ`)ノ 。+.。゚:;。+゚+。::゚。:.゚。♥♥♥♥♥

Edit:
Letter 6 part2 and Letter 7 are both PL OK!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Happy New Year everybody... cough...

It's been quite a while since I recorded for this project, but now that the other solo is safely finished and in the catalog, I feel like I can finally devote more time to Isabella's Japan...

Two new sections are up. Her descriptions of Nikko are great, she really does it justice!

I just hope my sniffles will clear up in time for the weekend so I can get more done. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Happy New Year!! :D

Aww, take care with your cold! Keep warm!
I might be a little slow finishing both sections because I'm crammed with exams right now XD
But I'll try to get it down soon!

I feel like I'm always saying this...
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

I'm really sorry for the delay.

I am amazed how she can remember all the details and write them down!
Her descriptions are simply amazing. I would really love to visit the area.

Section 9 Letter 8

@1:27
I heard you say Trogun instead of Shogun. I checked a couple times, but maybe it's just me? If you could check and see what you think, that would be great.

Ieyasu is pronounced with a "s" (as in "sue") and not a z, but I don't know the English pronunciation and I don't think it's much of a deal.

Satow would be pronounced "Sah-tow" instead of "Sei-tow". This, I'm not sure if I just didn't notice it in the previous sections, or if I'm just being extremely picky. Either way, I think whatever you've been saying so far should be okay. Same as before, I don't know what the common English way of pronunciation is, but I think the most common way of saying it would be good.

Section 10 Letter 9
All good!

She didn't mention what she thought about the hot springs (as in getting in) herself, so I'm a little curious because most people don't like getting in with other people.
And she's so good natured about falling off a horse!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Erika,

thanks for your PL! :D
I'll check the Shogun part - that should certainly be corrected!

The other two I won't be changing at this point because:
- I think the s/z distinction is not too big a deal. I will be careful next time Ieyasu turns up though.
- Mr. Satow appears to have been British: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Mason_Satow Although wikipedia states he was better known in Japan than in Britain, I guess ILB would have pronounced his name in proper English (not that I know what that would be though... :lol:)

The next letter is recorded already, but I may take some time to edit. Bear with me please...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Erika,

I have fixed the Shogun part of section 9. The file is uploading right now. Sections 11-19 are recorded, but I'm having a hard time editing - or rather, barely any time. I may have overcommited on other people's projects, and they are always a priority, because it's not just my time, but others as well...

However, the next sections will be a bit less pleasant to listen to, especially if you know Japan. She there complains (although she calls it telling the truth) about the Japanese she meets and how filthy they are and about their ailments which could be cured with a bit of hygiene. The roads will become even worse and she'll fall of her horse a few times more...

All in all, I like the book though. I wonder about the things she has seen which she did not choose to share... :hmm:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Cool, I check it when I get home! ;D (I'm leaving in a few minutes)

Don't worry about it!
I kept your PLing for a while anyway, and I usually only have a long amount of time on the weekends. And I'm sure the other people are very happy that you are working with them, so I really don't see any reason for you to apologize.

Oh dear.
Even so far, she hasn't seemed to think well about the people so I can imagine how it is when times get hard. ;)
It'll be interesting to see how she takes it.

I'm amazed at the amount of detail she manages to remember and put in her letters!
I write a diary when I can, but I don't think I have half as many details...
Again, he book's really interesting, especially since it's form the view of a foreigner.

Will be looking forward to your reading!! :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Section 11 is uploading.

She always says nice things about the manner of the people - how gentle, nice and polite they are. Although she does not appreciate being stared at in the remoter towns she visits... But at the same time time, she complains about the dirty conditions everywhere. Remember that this is a woman who travels with her own bathtub! :lol:

I may be able to edit a few more sections of this one this week... and May 1st is a holiday here as well... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Letter X is finished now! Enjoy! :D

I forgot to mention that she is always and everywhere completely enthralled by the landscape! Especially once she goes into the mountains... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Well, it wasn't as bad as I expected ;)

Her phrasing of "ill-executed dolls" made me laugh out loud. I would totally agree with her.

I was actually surprised that there was still the tradition for the woman to dye their teeth black, especially with all the European culture coming in at this time. Perhaps because it was a village?

I wonder when they stopped. Hm... worth some research! ;D

Her response to the traditional Japanese singing was also rather amusing. It's not really what we consider singing today, it's more like a really long drone that goes up and down and puts you to sleep.

I noticed you were pronouncing "sew" the way it's spelled, instead of "sow" which is how I usually hear it.
Unfortunately, I happened to scan ahead a bit on that particular part and I already knew what the word was so I can't say what meaning I would have picked up from it if I didn't have a reference point.

I think it's pretty understandable from context and shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I thought I'd run it by you.

Otherwise the reading was great!
And her level of details amazes me as usual.
おつかれさまでした~!(*´▽`*)

Note: p.53