[COMPLETE] Unbeaten Tracks in Japan by I. L. Bird - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Erika,

5 more sections, comprising letters 11 - 14, are up for your listening enjoyment - hopefully... :wink:

She's travelling more mountains now, complains about the filth and the pack horses and - you won't believe it - she starts to get tired of all the greenery around her...

Enjoy!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Erika,

I have uploaded a couple more sections. I hope I'm not stressing you out too much... :shock:

She gives an itinerary at section 19, btw. As the gutenberg version is not precise enough for this one (bad table formatting), I used a scan that is online on archive.org. Just so if you want to check all the numbers... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Hi Ava!

No, you are not stressing me, I'm sorry to worry you.

I was determined not to post until I PLed everything as a way to make me do it quickly, but then I got side tracked last weekend and forgot to let you know. :oops:
I was so worried that I had to get back to you that I couldn't concentrate, so I haven't finished, but I will start on them as soon as I get home tonight!
Thanks for your patience.

Would you prefer I checked all the numbers?
If I were to do so, I should go look for the file on archive.org, correct?

Edit:
13 - Letter X part 3 is PL OK!

p.59
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Erika,

there's no rush at all, I don't think I'll even make it until the end of the summer... It's just good to know that you haven't completely disappeared :wink:

If you'd like to check the numbers, you can search for the book on archive.org. Any version of it will do, there are several online as far as I remember. You should use the "read online" link, all the other files are usually just from an ocr scan, and those are notoriously bad... But the numbers are not THAT important, if you prefer not to do it, that's fine with me.

I hope you have fun in any case!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

I promise I won't disappear unless I get into some terrible unintended accident :D

Okay, I'll take a look at that when I get there! ;D
I don't really think the numbers are too important, and I don't think you got them wrong, but I might just glance over them just to say that I have PLed correctly ; )

I'm really honestly glad that she is so frank about what she thinks of her travels. It makes a really interesting account to see how Japan was in those days. We never learn about the poor people in school!

I just PLed 15 - Letter XII part 1.
There's a repeat around 10:13 ("At Kayashima I asked the house-master's wife~"). The first is a little before that.
Otherwise, everything was great! : D

Edit:
16 - Letter XII part 2
17 - Letter XIII
are both PL OK!

I guess the hen was clever...

p. 67
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:wink:

Thanks for PLing Erika!

I have fixed section 15, and also finished two more sections.

Enjoy! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Ok, I've PLed everything that is loaded so far!(`・ω・´)
Sorry for the wait!

Here's what I caught.

20 - Letter XVI
There's a fumble/repeat around 6:25. "~for every vagrant bit~"

22 - Letter XVIII
Right before 12:29, check the pronunciation of pomegranates. (Which is repeated about three more times)
I can still derive the meaning from what you said, but the "e" is actually pronounced.
If you think it's marginal, I think that would be alright too.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_pronounce_the_word_pomegranate

I also pronounce apricot with a "ot" instead of a "ut" but I don't think that is too much of a problem.

Otherwise, everything else is wonderful, as usual!
Sounds like she is having quite a time!

I saw what you meant by graph and the numbers were fine ; )
I feel like I say this every time, but I'm really impressed at how she catalogs details.
It's a wonderful insight into Japan at this time, and I also now want to visit Nikko! I wonder if the streets are clean.... ;D

I love her humor too XD
Her phrase "with gardens in which flowers, shrubs, and mosquitoes are grown" made me laugh out loud.

Note to self. p.85
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Erika,

I'll fix both of the problems. I just hope I can find all the pomegranates... :wink:

She really seems to have a great time - and I have a great time reading it! So far, I think riding the cows was the funniest thing she told. And probably the fact that she gives small pieces of her mosquito net to women to stick in their hair... :lol: I'm not entirely sure in which letter this is though. I have read until section 28 so far, and need to catch up with the editing...

It's great that you like the book - and I'm surprised you haven't been to Nikko! :shock: (It's just as lovely as she describes - albeit much more crowded these days... )
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Erika,

I have uploaded Letters 19 and 20 - and also fixed the error in letter 16.

The fruits will have to wait until the weekend, I'm afraid. :wink:

In this batch, I found section 25 most interesting - the explanation of what Torii means - and she got a closeup view of a Buddhist funeral.

Enjoy!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

I am checking Letter 16 now, and I'll take a look at the new ones tomorrow or on Sunday!!
Otsukaresama-!

The milking cow part was also quite interesting!
I'll be looking forward to those parts : D

I actually haven't been out of Hokkaido (where I lived) much, only to Tokyo and Osaka.
Much traveling must be done!

Edit:
Letter 16 is PL OK! I've updated the MC ;)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

So you're from Hokkaido? What a lovely place! I visited Otaru last summer and I was very surprised about all the woods I saw from the plane to Sapporo...

Yes, that they considered milk to be strong tasting was very funny. I mean, let's not forget that those are the people who'd happily eat natto... (eewww...)

I have fixed the fruits and reuploaded section 22/letter 18.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

I've just PLed the new sections, and the fruits and they are all PL OK!
I'll update the MC after this post :)

So here's the mosquito net part LOL
I guess it could be like the see through material we have on clothes nowadays...

I love her sarcasm (sort off) when she is dealing with the Japanese doctor.

I lived all my Japan life in Hokkaido:)
I'm surprised and glad you've been to Otaru, it's a beautiful place that doesn't seem to be too well known to foreigners ;)
We've been most everywhere in Hokkaido, so I had the change to go to Otaru as well to sight see and such. I certainly had some interesting experiences.... XD

I'm guessing milk was probably just recently introduced when she was traveling. Even in Japan today, I think there aren't that many people that will have milk with there food. Most of the people I asked have tea (cold mostly) with their meals, although I know a few people who will have milk for breakfast, if I remember correctly. This of course, might be a general trend of the people around me ;)

Natto is not that bad, if you have it with raw egg and brush your teeth right away ;)

p.96
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, the next two letters are in.

I wonder how she's managing to get to see all those places - I mean, now she's visiting a hospital (and no, she's not a patient)... :hmm:

Finally, I have caught up with myself - no more letters left to edit. I will start reading again next weekend. I hope I'll get a bit further on this until my summer holidays...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
hikarudream

Post by hikarudream »

Perhaps a passport could get you more places than it can now....?

It's amazing how she will go and explore each place and get that much information!
That's how we used to do it, isn't it... Now it's all done for us and we just look on the internet lol.

Both sections are PL OK and I am just about the update the MC.
I'm really sorry for the delay, it's finals week and really hectic. I'll be running around for a few more weeks, but I will try to be as speedy as possible : )

As long as next week is over....

P.100
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Good luck with everything!

You'll have loads of time to catch up with me in August, when I'm on holidays... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com