COMPLETE: World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern, 2-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/library-of-the-worlds-best-literature-ancient-and-modern-volume-2-by-various/

Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern volume 2 by Various Authors. (published 1902)

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
The "Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern" is a work of enormous proportions. Setting out with the simple goal of offering "American households a mass of good reading", the editors drew from literature of all times and all kinds what they considered the best pieces of human writing, and compiled an ambitious collection of 45 volumes (with a 46th being an index-guide). Besides the selection and translation of a huge number of poems, letters, short stories and sections of books, the collection offers, before each chapter, a short essay about the author or subject in question. In many cases, chapters contemplate not one author, but certain groups of works, organized by nationality, subject or period; there is, thus, a chapter on Accadian-Babylonian literature, one on the Holy Grail, and one on Chansons, for example.

The result is a collection that holds the interest, for the variety of subjects and forms, but also as a means of first contact with such famous and important authors that many people have heard of, but never read, such as Abelard, Dante or Lord Byron. According to the editor Charles Dudley Warner, this collection "is not a library of reference only, but a library to be read."

This second volume contains chapters from "Anacreon" to "Auerbach". (Summary by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: February 8th 2011 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for one month, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12788 , but please read from the text links in the Magic Window
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

To help with picking a section, here is a list of what you will find in each one. However, I strongly suggest you click on the Text Links in the Magic Window, and take a look at the text before claiming.

Children's Literature: Sections 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 26, 27
    Drama: Sections 38,39
    Essays on authors: Sections 2, 16, 31, 35, 37, 40, 46
    Essays on literature: Sections 11, 20, 25, 49
    Fiction: Sections 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 30, 31, 33, 42, 50, 51, 55, 57, 58, 59,60
    Memoirs: Sections 9, 56
    Non-fiction: Sections 32, 41, 47, 52, 53
    Poetry: Sections 1, 10, 12, 13, 14, 29, 34, 36, 43, 45, 44, 48, 54
    Religion: Sections 28, 29, 44

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern, volume 2 - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern, volume 2. Section [number][Title of section], by [Author of section] [Translated by [translator]]."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern, volume 2."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    worldsbestliterature2_##_various.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. worldsbestliterature2_01_various.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: [Author name]
    Album: Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern volume 2

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Leni on August 5th, 2010, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
=================
Four sections open at the Library of the World's Best Literature, volume 12!

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » August 5th, 2010, 3:34 pm

If you don't mind, I'd like to sign up to PL again. I discovered quite a few interesting new things while listening to the last one.
So little space, so much to say.

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 5th, 2010, 3:57 pm

May I have 02 and 04 please? :)

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » August 5th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Can I have 32 - Laplace, please? More astronomy for me... :9:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » August 5th, 2010, 4:24 pm

And I'd like to read sections 10, 12, 13 20 and 27. A little greedy perhaps, but I can't choose between them.

I shall continue the trend of reading some of the earliest known literature. And I have nearly finished reading Volume one of 1001 nights, (Burton Translation) and I'm enjoying it, so I find the essay on them very interesting.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 5th, 2010, 6:13 pm

It's great to have you on board, Lucy! :D

And thank you, Ava and Maria, for claiming. :)
Leni
=================

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » August 5th, 2010, 6:31 pm

May I have section 11?

11 - Essay on Anglo-Saxon Literature, by Robert Sharp
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 5th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Certainly! Thanks much for claiming the very long section I didn't want to split but was afraid no one would claim... :shock:

:lol:
Leni
=================

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » August 5th, 2010, 7:07 pm

I thought twice about it, and then decided it probably wouldn't kill me :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

terrestrialobject

Post by terrestrialobject » August 6th, 2010, 11:45 am

I would like to read the Steadfast Tin Soldier

timcasey.tim@gmail.org

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 6th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Hello, and welcome to Librivox

Thank you for your interest in contributing to this project. Since this seems to be your first recording for Librivox, we suggest you do the 1-minute test ( http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test ), so we can make sure all the technical aspects are ok. Also, before I can assign you the section, I need to know under what name/pseudonym you'd like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Thanks again!
Leni
=================

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » August 7th, 2010, 10:14 am

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 7th, 2010, 11:49 am

Thanks, Maria! :)
Leni
=================

ravenotation

Post by ravenotation » August 15th, 2010, 10:07 am

Greetings Leni,
I'll sign up for sections 5, 6 & 7 if that's all right by you.
ttfn,
raven.

Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p » August 15th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Section 4: PL OK. Sounds great!