[COMPLETE]Careers of Danger and Daring/Cleveland Moffett-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 14th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Stories from 'Careers of Danger and Daring' by Cleveland Moffett (1863-1926).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/careers-of-danger-and-daring-by-cleveland-moffett/
A Vocational Guidance Manual - Mr. Moffett has chosen unusual and picturesque careers, and has offered dramatic scenes from the lives of the steeple climber, the diver, the balloonist, the pilot, the bridge builder, the fireman, the wils animal trainer, the aerial acrobat, the dynamite worker and lastly the locomotive driver.(summary by annise)

And it has great pictures - ever wondered what the top of a steeple really looked like ? Some listeners may find the "Wild Animal Tamer" stories distressing - I did. I would suggest you just don't dowmload that section - the rest is well worth listening to.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 16 November 2010.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/33146
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[name of occupation] Part # of Careers of Danger and Daring . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Careers of Danger and Daring by Cleveland Moffett [title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [title]"
      at the end of each career say
      End of [career title]" eg "end of the dynamite worker"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Careers of Danger and Daring by Cleveland Moffett. "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    careersdangerdaring_##_moffett.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. careersdangerdaring_01_moffett.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Cleveland Moffett
    Album: Careers of Danger and Daring
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :) :D
Last edited by annise on July 27th, 2010, 7:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » July 14th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Oh what fun! May I have the Dynamite sections -- 34, 35, and 36?

I wonder -- would it be ok if I say, "The Dynamite Worker, part one", "The Dynamite Worker, part two", or "The Dynamite Worker, part three" as appropriate at the beginning of each section?

(No "audiobook narrator"? No "forum moderator"? lol!)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 14th, 2010, 10:03 pm

(No "audiobook narrator"? No "forum moderator"? lol!)
:D
I did wonder if becoming a wild beastl trainer would be handy at home though

All yours - yes it is probably better to say it that way - just harder to explain and I was feeling a little "explained out" at the time :D

Anne

russthomas927

Post by russthomas927 » July 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm

I would like to read to firefighter section of this book. This is my first time on this site. Where do I find the actual text? Thanks for your time.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 15th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Hi
Welcome to Librivox
I suggest you start by reading http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording and posting a 1 min test - this isn't an audition , just a check of the technical needs of the projects - post it Listeners Wanted for a quick response

When you have done that come back and check the first post - it will tell you all your need to know about the text , and the disclaimer and file name and where to upload

I will pencil you in for the Firefighter -

Anne

russthomas927

Post by russthomas927 » July 19th, 2010, 7:29 pm

I have my test posted currently. It is 1 minute test (take 2) under my id. Please take a moment to listen and let me know what you think if you get a moment.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 19th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Starlite beat me to it - I'm happy for you to start reading - remember to leave the time at the end with the mic running so we can maybe do a little noise cleaning if needed and maybe see if you can get enough volume if you move the mic a little to the side of your mouth so that air goes past it not in , - if you notice on words like text you have a wobbly wave pattern which causes a thumpy sound
Nice voice and reading , looking forward to your recording

Anne

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 27th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 27th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Thanks Tricia - it is long , I wondered about leaving out the Pt but decided not to :D

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 27th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » July 30th, 2010, 7:04 am

May I take section 18? Since it's my first recording, I'll just take on one section for now.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 30th, 2010, 1:46 pm

I've put you down for 18 - you should find what you need in the first post .
What name would you like in the catalogue ? people use their forum name or their real name - it is up to you.
Looking forward to your recording

Anne :D

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » July 30th, 2010, 2:10 pm

annise wrote:I've put you down for 18 - you should find what you need in the first post .
What name would you like in the catalogue ? people use their forum name or their real name - it is up to you.
Looking forward to your recording

Anne :D
Thankyou :) I was reading through that this morning

And could you please put it as my forum name, ashleighjane?

-Ashleigh

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » August 3rd, 2010, 6:52 am

Here's section 18, hope it's okay.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/careersdangerdaring_18_moffett.mp3 File duration: 10:46

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 3rd, 2010, 2:12 pm

Thanks Ashleigh - quick work :D

Anne