COMPLETE Hollow Needle... Arsene Lupin, Leblanc - AF/ad

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Xander

Post by Xander »

The Hollow Needle; Further adventures of Arsene Lupin by Maurice Leblanc

This completed project is catalogued at
http://librivox.org/hollow-needle-by-maurice-leblanc

Inspired by the project The Extraordinary Adventures of Ars�ne Lupin, Gentleman-Burglar, I have decided to coordinate another of Leblanc's works about Ars�ne Lupin.

Arsène Lupin returns in a wonderful story of disguises, love, and of course treasure. Once again, Lupin crosses paths with the famous Holmlock Shears. But this time Arsène matches wits with Isidore Beautrelet, Sixth-form Schoolboy. Every step that Lupin takes has Beautrelet right on his heels. Has Lupin finally met his match? Will Beautrelet discover the secret of the Hollow Needle? And has the gentleman burglar met another match as well, one who will lead him away from his life of crime forever?
  • 1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are �up for grabs.� Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you�d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.

2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 31-January-2007
    This deadline is pretty flexible, so if it needs to be changed, I'll change it. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it�ll go back to the pool. There�s no shame in this; we�re all volunteers and things happen.

4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4017

5. Please claim chapters!

(Admin link)

6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Please set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44100 kHzs

7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

Say:
      "The Hollow Needle; Further Adventures of Arsene Lupin, by Maurice Leblanc, translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos. Chapter__"
    End of recording (Outro)
    • At the end of the section, say:
      �End of [Chapter]"

At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Hollow Needle; Further Adventures of Arsene Lupin, by Maurice Leblanc.."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    hollow_needle_##_leblanc.mp3 , all lower-case, where ## is your chapter number. (for example: hollow_needle_01_leblanc.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use � if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ##: Chapter Title
    where ## is your chapter number
    Artist: Maurice Leblanc
    Album: The Hollow Needle; Further Adventures of Arsene Lupin
    Track Number: ##
    Genre: Speech
    Comments (optional): Recorded by [your name]
    example wrote: Title: 01: The Shot
    Artist: Maurice Leblanc
    Album: The Hollow Needle; Further Adventures of Arsene Lupin
    Track Number: 01
    Genre: Speech
    Comments (optional): Recorded by Xander
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Here are three options for sending in your files:
    • 1. Upload them to (read the instructions on the page)
      http://librivox.gesine.org/uploader/upload.cgi
      in the second box put the password:
      upl0ad1t -- using a zero and a 1 type uploadit
      2. Post them on your own webspace and link to them there
      3. Send them via YouSendIt.com to LibrivoxXander(at)gmail(dot)com. This will generate a link which you can post.
    Whichever of these options you use, please reply below and post a link to your file. This safeguards against your submission being lost in case of e-mail crashes and such. If you can't get any of this to work, just say so; help is available.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
    - your webpage URL (if applicable)

If you have any questions send them my way and in advance thanks for helping. :D

PS As I am fairly new at coordination please tell me if I have left anything out.
Last edited by Xander on December 14th, 2006, 2:39 pm, edited 23 times in total.
-Xander

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

www.zamws.com
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hi Xander,
Congratulations on breaking out of the numbers racket.
I'll try my hand at MCing your Lupin, though if any other MCs want to arm-wrestle for it, I'll make only a small show of resistance.

This looks like a great project, and since you've committed to helping Fox in the Stars complete the first Lupin stories, and since you've so wisely followed her every point in setting up, I think everything looks conspicuously in order here.

I did add a few seconds onto the suggested end-of-file silence, because recent experiments show that the longer files need a longer silence. Hmmm... note to self: where is that killer table with the silence stats...?

So I'll look into getting you an uploading space, possibly on Gesine's server.
edit: yep, the link is up in the top post

In your spare time, you can start crafting the little intro to the story that will be the catalogue text. Put it in your top post... change it at will... let it be a little creative writing lab right there. (Or grab it from wikipedia if there's one there -- whatever suits you! :))

I think that'll do for now.
PS As I'm fairly new at MCing, if you've left anything out ... we'll both find out about it later. :D
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on June 24th, 2006, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh this is fab, I love Arsene Lupin, I'll be back to sign up as soon as I've cleared my outstanding recordings a bit! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Xander, please make the chapter number in the ID3 tags and in the file name two-digit, otherwise it won't sort properly. So you'd have 01, 02 etc.

You must have used an old BC template - I recently updated the ones in the wiki with the latest findings on silence at the end of files. Please change your text above to: Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Then it will work in all players without chopping the end off files.

And what the hell, I'll have a chapter now... let me just have a look at the text.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

Eeek, I only left the small silence Fox was asking for at the end of chapter six of the other Lupin project, but it was an hour recording, should I add more and upload it again?
Tim Bulkeley

http://stories.org.nz/
Not only Librivox but other works out of copyright in NZ and Canada
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Gosh, Tim, if you don't mind, that'd be great. (Though it isn't strictly necessary because it could be added to the file that's there; makes for teensy audio degradation though to resave an mp3 file as an mp3file; whereas if you do it from audacity, no degradation atall.)
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Heya Xander,
I've clarified the mp3 tags in the top post and given an example -- if you had something else in mind, please just change it.
I've added a link to Gesine's server. You can make chapters available to listen as you go, if you'd like that; or save them for a proof-listening spree at the end. [It sometimes leads to fun book discussion if chapters are available for listening along the way.]

fun!
anita
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on June 26th, 2006, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Ah-ha! I just spotted the translator, so we should give credit:
TRANSLATED BY ALEXANDER TEIXEIRA DE MATTOS

...and maybe a pronunciation guide. ;)

I've added this to the top post.
Anita
tim bulkeley

Post by tim bulkeley »

[quote="a.r.dobbs"]Gosh, Tim, if you don't mind, that'd be great. (Though it isn't strictly necessary because it could be added to the file that's there; makes for teensy audio degradation though to resave an mp3 file as an mp3file; whereas if you do it from audacity, no degradation atall.)[/quote]

No worries, all done and uploaded, I want to get this first one right, then the others should follow easier (than if I do something wrong this time and get in bad habits ;)
Tim Bulkeley

http://stories.org.nz/
Not only Librivox but other works out of copyright in NZ and Canada
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

'allo, folks,

Everything fine and dandy here? Is this the long pause before a grand eruption of readings? Clearing up other projects in order to devote joyous attention to Lupin land?

Just checking in. :)
Anita
Anita
Xander

Post by Xander »

Thanks for checking in Anita. I'm not sure where this thread activity went. I haven't recorded my section yet because I just had my wisdom teeth removed. :? Do you have any ideas about how to promote this book?

Thanks
-Xander

www.zamws.com
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Activity attracts activity!
And yet, the wise wisely recover from wisdom teeth extraction before action.
When you're ready to reanimate, it'll take off. The Xanderness of your projects attracts attentions, and those who can handle the French (alas, not moi) love the Lupin!

Shall we see that Lupin 1 is wrapped? That'll attract fans, you know. There's just one remaining chapter there.

Anita
Anita
Xander

Post by Xander »

I will be gone to camp for the next couple of weeks. Continue without me.
-Xander

www.zamws.com
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ah yes, I never got back to you. Big fan of Lupin. Sign me up for chapter 2 and good luck with the teeth (or lack of them).
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hey Folks,
The first Lupin is fully subscribed BUT I'm going to check it for orphans before moving it to Readers Found, because I'm suspicious, y'know?
Meanwhile, I'm directing readers who have a bit of French to come join the fun here. Sound good? Send your friends. Word is this is a Very Fun Read!

Anita
Anita