COMPLETE: The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz - AF/ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie » June 20th, 2006, 10:02 pm

The Foolish Dictionary by Gideon Wurdz.

This project is complete! You can view the catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/the-foolish-dictionary-by-gideon-wurdz/

This a a short but amusing dictionary which "redefines" words in some interesting ways. Funny and sometimes bizarre observations are sprinkled throughout. Sections are mostly quite short (some sections consist of multiple letters, in the case where the entries for those letters were short.)

Note - if anyone can come up with a more detailed description, feel free to contact me :)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are �up for grabs.� Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you�d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: September 1st � but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it�ll go back to the pool. There�s no shame in this; we�re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1989
    If you'd like the see the illustrations that went along with it, try http://www.aaaugh.com/dictionary/
  5. Please claim chapters (the blue numbers)!

Reader list last updated: July 17th
    Sections claimed: 18 of 18
    Sections done: 17 of 18

Note that if I have not heard from you by August 15, I will reassign your chapter(s).

DONE - Section 01 - Dedication, Intro, Letter A <by MermaidMaddie>
    DONE -Section 02 - Letter B <by ab2525>
    DONE - Section 03 - Letter C < by Xander>
    DONE -Section 04 - Letter D <by Xander>
    DONE -Section 05- Letter E <by donniebobb>
    DONE -Section 06 - Letters F and G < by donniebobb>
    DONE -Section 07 - Letter H <by ndoo>
    DONE - Section 08 - Letters I and J <by Breefolk>
    DONE -Section 09 - Letters K and L <by ceastman>
    DONE - Section 10 - Letters M and N <by Queue>
    DONE -Section 11 - Letters O and P <by Queue>
    DONE -Section 12 - Letters Q and R <by featherheadfop>
    DONE -Section 13 - Letter S <by featherheadfop>
    DONE - Section 14 - Letter T - <claimed by Queue>
    DONE - Section 15 - Letters U through Z- <claimed by Queue>
    DONE -Section 16 - Postage and Postal Information <by kristin>
    DONE - Section 17 - A Few Mythological and Classical Names<by Dsayers>
    DONE - Section 18 - Legal and Local Holidays in the United States <by Dsayers>
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz preferred, 32 and 22.5 also acceptable
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Title, by Author. [Name of your letter(s) / section as listed above]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Name of your letter(s) / section as listed above]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Title, by Author."
Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
thefoolishdictionary_##_wurdz.mp3 , all lower-case, where ## is your two-digit section number. (thefoolishdictionary_01_wurdz.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use � if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: [xx - Name of letter(s)or section title] where xx = section number, i.e. examples: 09 - Letters K and L or 18 - Legal and Local Holidays in the United States
Artist: Gideon Wurdz
Album: The Foolish Dictionary

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or emailed via http://yousendit.com to: mermaid_maddie AT yahoo DOT com (make sure to include the underscore in the email address)
(if you use yousendit, it's helpful if you'll post the resulting link in this thread)
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
- your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog,
- your webpage URL (if applicable)

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by MermaidMaddie on August 13th, 2006, 4:10 am, edited 17 times in total.

MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie » June 20th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Hi, this is my first project as a book coordinator so please let me know if I did everything correctly :D I didn't see that this was already being recorded, so I decided to try something fairly short for my first endeavor as a book coordinator. I wasn't entirely sure if it should be in short works, but given the number of sections I decided to post it as a book.

Can anyone tell me, in terms of length, where something is considered a short work vs. a book? (I ask this because there is another project I want to coordinate, it only has about 8 chapters, and I think about 15,000 words total--so would that constitute a short work, due to length, or a book because it is broken into a chapter- like structure?

Also, does my target completion date seen too short (or too long?) I didn't want to make it super long because it's not that long of a project, but at the same time I wanted to give people enough breathing room, this being the time of year where people seem to take vacations ;)

kristin

Post by kristin » June 20th, 2006, 10:37 pm

It looks alright to me, at least I found all the information I think I will need.

May I have Section 16- Postage and Postal Information, please?

One thing did strike me when I read the post... Under information you will need you asked for - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss

I haven't done that for other recordings :?: Was that my mistake? No one has asked for them.

MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie » June 20th, 2006, 10:57 pm

Thanks Kristin, I'm signing you up for #16. :D
As for the runtime, It was part of the book coordinator template , so I am not really sure if it's "necessary" for you to post that or not...I'm guessing maybe it's just there to make it easier on the person coordinating the files. (In this case, me ;) )Anyhow it's not a big deal to me if you don't include it, because I can get that once I download the file :)

kristin

Post by kristin » June 20th, 2006, 11:10 pm

As I do not have letters should I say End of Postage and Postal Information?

MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie » June 20th, 2006, 11:50 pm

kristin wrote:As I do not have letters should I say End of Postage and Postal Information?
Yep, that's correct :) I have edited the first post to make that (hopefully) more clear for the sections that have titles intead of letters.

ceastman

Post by ceastman » June 21st, 2006, 10:30 am

Hi Mermaid!

Since it looks like it'll be a bit till this project is complete, I'll be your MC for this. (I'm trying not to take on too much, too fast since I'm quite new at this.) Your first post looks excellent - you clearly know the drill.

Looking forward to working with you!

-Catharine

ab2525

Post by ab2525 » June 21st, 2006, 11:38 am

I'll do Section 2, B

kristin

Post by kristin » June 21st, 2006, 1:28 pm

Here's 16 - It's exactly 3 minutes(don't know how I did that) or 00:03:00

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=12DF9EAD047A3B98

Kristin

MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie » June 21st, 2006, 3:13 pm

Catharine--Thank you for signing up to be my mc for this :D

ab2525 - Thanks for signing up, I'll put you down for section 2 :D

kristin - got your file. Thanks! sounds good :D
I hadn't really read the section yet and it really cracked me up, the way he seemed to state it all so matter-of-factly made it all the more funny in my opinion :)

DSayers

Post by DSayers » June 21st, 2006, 3:47 pm

What a gem ... however did you find it?

Takes a place alongside Bierce's Devil's Dictionary.

I'll do the last two sections, 17 and 18.

-denny mike
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].

MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie » June 21st, 2006, 4:15 pm

Dsayers, Thanks :D sections 17 and 18 are yours. i found it while just browsing around gutenberg...it was a toss up between doing this one and the "1811 dictionary of the vulgar tongue," and as much as I gotta love anything with the word vulgar in the title, this one won out :)

ab2525

Post by ab2525 » June 21st, 2006, 5:09 pm

Here is the link for section 2. Runtime 00:06:42.860408
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BCC3BC876DC15849

DSayers

Post by DSayers » June 21st, 2006, 5:51 pm

MermaidMaddie wrote:Dsayers, Thanks :D sections 17 and 18 are yours. i found it while just browsing around gutenberg...it was a toss up between doing this one and the "1811 dictionary of the vulgar tongue," and as much as I gotta love anything with the word vulgar in the title, this one won out :)
You're SO vulgar! [Just kidding]. Have you heard the Devil's Dictionary we have here?

Looking forward to hearing you over at Mother Jones!

-d

MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie » June 21st, 2006, 7:42 pm

ab2525, thank you, I got the file. :) One thing I did notice with the file, however, is that there seemed to be a bit of a problem with "plosives". I don't think I've got enough experience with editing to know if it's something that can easily be fixed. Or even if it needs to be fixed.
Could someone with more experience than I (especially technically speaking) please give the file a listen and let me know if it's something that could or be attempted to edit, or if it should/can just be left as is? Thanks so much :)