Hi - I'd like to claim aabi and aabj
thanks!
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

rootpi wrote:Hi - I'd like to claim aabi and aabj
thanks
and here they are:
http://download.yousendit.com/BD60FF1B005B73DC

I think I'm in the catalog, but otherwise the name is Julian Jamison... thanks! fun!
Xander

Post by Xander »

Hi All

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. School is taking up a ton of time. I just can't manage this project like it needs to be. Is there anyone who would like to take it over?? Ab2525??? I know you had a lot of interest earlier. I would be happy to send everything I have to anyone.
-Xander

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

www.zamws.com
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Xander,

If no one picks it up from here, we can advertise for a new BC and (if necessary) put the project on hold until someone volunteers.

David
awfief

Post by awfief »

Hi there,

I'd love to contribute to this, and I know I can just take some numbers and run with 'em. The project is in the thousands now, so a little "pronounciation" guide would be nice, since I can't listen to what's been done (I'm a newbie, but when I searched librivox I could only find this post, not any audio files associated with it).

ie, for 7927:

1) "seven nine two seven"
2) "seventy-nine twenty-seven"
3) "seven thousand, nine hundred twenty-seven"
4) "seven thousand, nine hundred and twenty-seven"

I'd guess 3), since 4) is incorrect (it really means 7900.27). But I figured I'd get folks' preference before recording, if y'all care. Doing it the "right" way -- 3) -- makes it tons longer, and more tedious to read AND listen to.
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

Interesting question... my guess is that the answer will be "however you want", but I'll leave that up to the BC. I believe I said the full version (your #3) in my part. I'm glad to see someone else who appreciates that the "and" is incorrect except for fractions / decimals! :)

-julian
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

rootpi wrote:I'm glad to see someone else who appreciates that the "and" is incorrect except for fractions / decimals! :)
The "and" is correct in British English.
awfief

Post by awfief »

Ah, I stand corrected....I never learned British English, only the American version.

Although reading closer, I see there's no BC for this anyway. :) If I volunteered, would other folks be willing to continue to record endless sets of numbers?

-Sheeri
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Sheeri,

You're right, Xander has asked if anyone else would take over the BCing from him. I'm sure he'll be grateful for your offer.

Before you commit, though, make sure you understand what's involved. This is an unusual project, and has languished of late, but a BC is a BC! See here - http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToBecomeABookCoordinator - and add to that all the special work for this project: creating number lists, editing files together etc.

Basically, you'd be doing everything (except the reading) up to the point that the project is ready to go to the catalogue. That's where I would take over.

I'm not trying to put you off, but equally I don't want to you to take it on and then be overwhelmed.

Xander

Are there any files that are complete and ready to go onto a server?

I haven't yet set up the database entry. Now would seem a good time to do that, pulling together everything that has been done.

David
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

earthcalling wrote:
rootpi wrote:I'm glad to see someone else who appreciates that the "and" is incorrect except for fractions / decimals!
The "and" is correct in British English.
That's fascinating - I had no idea. I will definitely be careful when correcting anyone about this...
It often comes up in formal wedding invitations: "such-and-such date, two thousand and seven". Though I'm [usually] self-aware enough to realize that the bride doesn't want to learn that her invitation was wrong, especially from a geek :)
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

I can help editing the files together. Also, I have server space!
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

If no one takes over as BC (book coordinator - the person who makes the project happen, up to the point that it's ready to catalogue), I'll class this as abandoned and move it off the forum.

So we have a fair chance at getting a BC, I'll advertise in the orphans thread.
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

I'll take over
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Good man, ab2525.

Thank you!
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

thanks ab2525!