Complete: The Emerald City of Oz by L. Frank Baum. CL/ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

All recordings can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-emerald-city-of-oz-by-l-frank-baum/

So many Oz books, so little time. I am finishing up the editing on Sky Island and would like to begin recording The Emerald City of Oz (1910), the sixth Oz book by L. Frank Baum. I haven't seen it claimed anywhere yet. Rainer has agreed to MC again.

The text is at: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/517

Completion date would probably be some time in August.
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
raynr

Post by raynr »

Great, I will add you to the "to come" section and I already started to listen to "sky island".

Greetings,

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

I'd better get those last chapters of Sky Island edited in a hurry. I'd hate to leave you in suspense about the ending! :wink:
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

I have recorded the first three chapters of Emerald City. Rainer, there is a section in chapter 3 that could have come straight out of Marx - you will know it when you hear it!

Here are MP3 tags and a list of chapters that I will update so you can check progress.

emeraldcity_xx_baum

xx_baum_emeraldcity
L. Frank Baum
The Emerald City of Oz

Ch. 01 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 02 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 03 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 04 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 05 - edited & uploaded
CORRECTED
Ch. 06 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 07 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 08 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 09 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 10 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 11 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 12 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 13 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 14 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 15 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 16 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 17 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 18 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 19 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 20 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 21 - edited & uploaded

Ch. 22 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 23 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 24 - edited & uploaded

Ch. 25 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 26 - edited & uploaded

Ch. 27 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 28 - edited & uploaded
Ch. 29 - edited & uploaded

Ch. 30 - edited & uploaded
Last edited by jbieber on September 29th, 2006, 8:50 pm, edited 32 times in total.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Oh, great!

Do you mind if I mark in your last post the prooflistened chapters? As I missed in my childhood the Oz books I am going to catch up now and will listen to your next recording, too :D

Greetings,

Rainer
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

That works for me. Thanks, Rainer.
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hi Rainer,

I edited chapter 1 and uploaded it to the etc. folder as there is not yet a file for Emerald City.

The pace on this project will be a bit slower as I have some professional deadlines coming up. (you are probably breathing a sigh of relief! :wink: )

best, Judy
raynr

Post by raynr »

jbieber wrote:I edited chapter 1 and uploaded it to the etc. folder as there is not yet a file for Emerald City.
Shame on me :wink: - but now there is a folder emerald_city with your file in it and also the link from the first page of the uploader
jbieber wrote:The pace on this project will be a bit slower as I have some professional deadlines coming up. (you are probably breathing a sigh of relief! :wink: )
Oh no, but I already calculated how long you could be employed by keeping on your current recording speed: 37 Baum books left, one book per month --> until August 2009. But you are obviously long-sighted and want to ration your recordings :wink:

Greetings,
Rainer
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Actually, if you calculate a month and a half per book, that only adds another year and a half on to your projected schedule. Not so bad.

However, I don't have aspirations to do ALL of Baum's works, just my favorites. I've got a stack of non-fiction titles that I want to get to - history and political commentary. So I imagine, I'll be going strong at least through 2015. :wink:

p.s. I'll be rooting for Germany tomorrow.
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hi Rainer,

I've uploaded a few chapters and recorded a few more. I've been contributing chapters to Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, and Jane Eyre as a change of pace (which has also slowed my pace on this project). Baum is much easier to read out loud! There is something to be said for simple sentence structure, despite my extreme admiration for Jane Austen's superlative prose.

best, J.
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hi Rainer, Just checking in to let you know that I will be out of town for a few weeks and I will not be set up to do any recording while I'm gone. So don't worry if you don't hear from me for a while. I will be able to EDIT chapters while on the road, and I've got 9-10 from Emerald City that are recorded and ready to clean up. Still hoping that I can finish by the end of August. best, J.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Judy,

have a nice trip and thanks for informing me!

Rainer
lwmc

Post by lwmc »

I just found out about you doing The Emerald City of Oz.
I love OZ books,

You said you were going to do your favorite ones.
Is "The Tin Woodman of Oz" in that list.

Hint, hint :P

Oh what is the address where I can download them from, because I download the individual file instead of the zip file, since I have a slow connection.
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hi! Tin Woodman is a great title but not one that I'm absolutely dying to do. Go for it! When I finish this up, I'm hoping to do either the Scarecrow of Oz or The Master Key, a non-Oz Baum work which you probably know about.

All of the Baum Oz books in text form are on www.gutenberg.org in various formats. The audio versions of Land, Dorothy & the Wizard and Road are in the Librivox catalog and you can download one chapter at a time if you wish.

Rainer, I'm back! Chapter 4 is on the uploader.
lwmc

Post by lwmc »

I am not planning to do a book, but since you are doing oz books,
I was just HOPEING that if you did any more oz books that The Tin Woodman of Oz might be one of them.

And I have got the oz books that are available on the catalog. For the most part.
But I didn?t see The Emerald City of Oz in the list of completed books,

:cry: