COMPLETE: Universal Declaration of Human Rights -NF/ec

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nestum82

Post by nestum82 »

Hi,

My name's Rastam, and I'm a newbie from Malaysia. I was thinking of doing a Malay reading of the Declaration, since there isn't one yet.

I should probably mention beforehand that I am hopelessly susceptible to procrastination, so I can't say for sure when I'll be done. Heheh.
Fox in the Stars wrote:Please abbreviate the language in as few letters as you can---preferrably two, no more than four. You can use the appropriate country's URL extension (this site has a list) or other standard or sensible two-letter abbreviation.
English - en
Japanese - jp
French - fr
Chinese - cn
Russian - ru
German - de
Italian - it
Swedish - se
Spanish - es
Finnish - fi
Hebrew - hb
Latin - um, va (since it's spoken in Vatican City)
Actually, FYI, there is already a list of two-letter ISO codes for languages (ISO 639-1). I know this because I develop web applications for a living, and we use these codes quite a bit whenever we do internationalisation / localisation. :wink:

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but using country codes might be a bit... politically-sensitive?
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hey Rastam, welcome ! Don't procrastinate too long. :roll: Or you'll miss out. The due date is set on 21rst October, I think, for it to be released for the United Nations Day (24th Oct).
As for the abbreviation, I don't mind as long as people understand which language they get. :)
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I think what we ought to do is use the same language codes as used on the UN site (as part of the URL when you follow the link to the language of your choice) - for example, spn for Spanish.

I will change these before cataloguing, so we are consistent.

For the moment, folks, just keep those files rolling in!

And Rastam - There are two Malay versions, and I'm not bright enough to know if they are different languages/dialects, or just different scripts. Can you make sure it's clear when you submit your file which language version I should link to.

David
nestum82

Post by nestum82 »

Phew! That was fun! I have uploaded my reading to Laura Fox's LibriBox. I used Bahasa Baku (standard Malay), so I sound a bit stiff... :?

human_rights_un_ms_rh.mp3
earthcalling wrote:And Rastam - There are two Malay versions, and I'm not bright enough to know if they are different languages/dialects, or just different scripts. Can you make sure it's clear when you submit your file which language version I should link to.
I'm assuming that you're referring to the Malay (Bahasa Melayu) and Bahasa Melayu (Malay) entries. They both link to the same file (UN code: mli). 'Bahasa Melayu' is just the Malay name for the Malay language.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Rastam, thank you!

I've moved the file into the folder with the others, and will add Malay to the list of languages recorded.

No, I was even more confused than that! I saw 'Malayam' in the listing, and thought that was Malay. But looking closely I see it's an Indian language. Ah, sweet ignorance! :D

Can you let me know how to credit you in the catalogue, and if you have a personal URL to link to?

Thanks again!

David

PS - I'm listening now. It's a great recording! Excellent recording quality, very clear delivery... You have a good voice!
nestum82

Post by nestum82 »

LOL. I had a sneaking suspicion that Malayalam was the culprit.

Erm... I have a blog, so I guess you could use that. And my semi-full-name is Rastam Hadi. (My full-full-name is a bit of a mouthful)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Rastam,

I've added your details to our list of readers, so you won't be asked again for other projects.

The link to your blog isn't working, though. Is that a temporary glitch?

David
nestum82

Post by nestum82 »

earthcalling wrote:I've added your details to our list of readers, so you won't be asked again for other projects.
I won't be asked again for other projects? Errr... I don't quite understand... I thought we were supposed to volunteer... (?_?)

My bloghost tends to go down sometimes. It's one of those free hosts.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

No no, what I meant was that if you volunteer for other projects, you won't be asked for your details again. We keep them on a list here:- http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ListOfReadersCatalogNames

Of course I hope you will volunteer for more!

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I'll be away until Friday 13th, and probably unable to visit LV. So my apologies if anything happens and I don't respond.

David
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hello all, Luduvico (Rennê) and myself are going to try to do a duet of the Declaration in Brazilian Portuguese, alternating paragraphs/articles. The Brazilian translation is slightly different than the Portuguese from Portugal and can be found here:

http://www.onu-brasil.org.br/documentos_direitoshumanos.php

We will try to get it together by Oct. 21.

Judy and Rennê
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Wonderful, wonderful, Judy!! And I will try to finish (well, start and then finish) the edit of the duet declaration that Eddy and I recorded. After he recorded his parts, Eddy shook his head very seriously and said, "That's a *lot* of editing for someone!" :D
Anita
kaseumin

Post by kaseumin »

Greetings.

I am hoping to upload Japanese version by Oct. 21.
( I finished recording it. Now proof-listening.)

Hi David (earthcalling);
Tu vois que je tiens parole. :)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

kaseumin wrote:Tu vois que je tiens parole. :)
Of course, I knew I could rely on you!

Thank you!
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

My apologies to all the Walloon speaking out there for savagely distorting their language. Had they shown up, I wouldn't have read this : DÉCLARÅCION UNIVERSÈLE DÈS DREÛTS D'L'OME (David, I'll remove it from the server once you have it).
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?