COMPLETE Six Characters in Search of an Author-Pirandello-rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LizMourant

Post by LizMourant »

I LOVE Six Characters and haven't done any acting with LIbrivox yet though I took a theater minor in college, acted, yadda yadda, and am most fond of "absurdist" theater such as this fare.

There's one glitch. I'm a woman, and the part leftover is a juvenile male...hmmmmmm....

If ANY other female parts come up as orphans I will GLADLY take them on (soooo gladly).

Meanwhile, consider casting me in a "trouser's role" as the juvie male and I will consider playing it. I realize that it might be a stretch, but my voice is not highpitched yet not manly either. Sooo??? I understand wanting to be very formal in your approach, but if things get at all "atypical" and this is plausible do let me know.

Meanwhile, I will wait as a "stand in," for anyone who for any reason cannot fulfill the obligations of their roles (Female ones).

GOOD LUCK! Pirandello "rawks." Seriously. God, I wish I'd seen this a week ago!

I've also directed, so I am wondering if at some point in the future I can put together a production, however, I am just now doing my first "solo recording," so there's the great challenge in that.

Break many legs!

Liz :lol:
ecce deus fortior me qui veniens dominabitur mihi (La Vita Nuova, Dante Alligheri)
"behold a god more powerful than I who comes to rule over me...love."
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

How can I say no to enthusiasm like that? :mrgreen: I'm giving you the Juvenile Lead.

The Juvenile Lead is not a boy, however, but a young man who would be doubling the role of The Son, so if you can pitch your voice a little bit lower than normal, that would be good. Please read the notes for more specific information on your part. Also, if I could get a few takes of recorded laughter from you at the end of one of your files, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to get a sample from all the "company" so that I can overlay them and manipulate them in Audacity and not have to resort to a canned PD laugh track.

Thanks! :thumbs:
LizMourant

Post by LizMourant »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/sixcharacterssearchauthor_juvenilelead_actone.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/sixcharacterssearchauthor_juvenilelead_act2.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/sixcharacters_juvenilelead_act3.mp3

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll, I used to be able to do "cross-dressing" roles (I made up a character in a monologue series I played as a stylized drag king back in the day). Now..hmm, I have an older woman's voice really, so trying to deepen it...I have made him sound a bit apathetic, slouchy, maybe even stoned like a sort of Beavis and Butthead (If anyone knows them).

If this doesn't sit well or square with you please tell me. I just don't really know what to do with the poor guy who hasn't many lines anyways (grrrr). Meanwhile, I got you some silly laughter for the laughtrack, and I played some of the "actresses" in their "greek chorus roles." I'm sure some of this is useable. It won't hurt my feelings if my guy isn't your guy though!

I really like the Mother's acting, AND the son who is a real sounding younger guy. I sound a bit like Jeff Spicoli from Fasttimes at Ridgemont High with a cold! Lol. If it works here okay, in the larger scheme I will be quite happy, but it is easier for me to play a "grown man" to be perfectly honest as I tend to normally give boys I am reading slightly effeminate voices and you told me to "lower my voice a bit," so ::shrugs::

Here's my current outcomes.

Liz :hmm: Good luck and break a leg everyone, I figure it can't hurt to try him this way...I can always use feedback, and if I can't play a young guy anymore (sniff) well, I am nowhere near young anymore myself, and am imagining my nephew whose voice cracks and everything (he's sixteen). Still, the other stuff is certainly useable, and if you don't mind him sounding a little dude-ish, well, then it might be ok.
ecce deus fortior me qui veniens dominabitur mihi (La Vita Nuova, Dante Alligheri)
"behold a god more powerful than I who comes to rule over me...love."
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

LizMourant wrote:I really like the Mother's acting, AND the son who is a real sounding younger guy. I sound a bit like Jeff Spicoli from Fasttimes at Ridgemont High with a cold! Lol. If it works here okay, in the larger scheme I will be quite happy, but it is easier for me to play a "grown man" to be perfectly honest as I tend to normally give boys I am reading slightly effeminate voices and you told me to "lower my voice a bit," so ::shrugs::
If it makes any difference to you, the Juvenile Lead is not a boy. He'd be doubling for the character of The Son if they were to perform the play the six characters are proposing, and The Son is 22 years old. The Juvenile Lead is thus a man in his 20s. It's perhaps a bit obscure, because the word makes it sound like a child actor, but in theater circles actual children are referred to as "child actors" and the roles for young men are referred to as "juvenile". Hamlet, Sebastian from Twelfth Night, Konstantin Gavrilovich Treplyov from Chekhov's The Seagull, and Hippolyte from Racine's Phèdre are all examples of juvenile leads.

I'm perfectly happy to work with what you've given me, but if this information leads you to want to revise your performance, then you can re-record your lines and just save and upload them with the same file name, and it will automatically overwrite the previous version on the server. Just let me know if you've done that, so I can snag the latest version for download. :)

Thanks for being so prompt in recording your lines! :thumbs:
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Just FYI: I've put the Juvenile Lead's files in the magic window and marked that section as complete.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

:oops:

Thanks, gloriana. I thought I did that, but I guess I got distracted.

As an aside, I'm half tempted to leave a 20-minute pause after the stage direction, "The action of the play is suspended for twenty minutes." :twisted:

I just changed the privacy settings on my documents. I had no idea that they were different in the first place. I set these files to be freely distributed on the web and accessible without signing in.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

AnaESL just sent me a private message announcing that she had to orphan the role of Madame Pace, so it's now open to anyone.
dii

Post by dii »

Hi,

I could ready Madame Pace if that's OK :)
Diana
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Of course it would be! Thank you, dii! :)

Madame Pace does require a bit of an accent. According to the play, she speaks in a heavy mix of Spanish and Italian, but since "Italian" has become "English" for our purposes, I think just a heavy Spanish accent should be okay.
dii

Post by dii »

Diana
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

I thought it was a good reading but... it's really that short? :shock:

I'm still mentally comparing it to the British TV version I saw years ago on Bravo, but I guess it lasts a lot longer when you have to stage the scene.

Thank you for the reading, dii. :D
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Here are the lines of the Manager for Act 1:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/sixcharacterssearchauthor_manager_1.mp3

Happy editing! :D

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

DSayers wrote:Here are the lines of the Manager for Act 1:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/sixcharacterssearchauthor_manager_1.mp3
Thanks, Denny! It's in the MW. :)

Your tone of voice and delivery somewhat reminds me of Wallace Shawn, whose work both as an actor and playwright I respect very much. If you haven't seen or read one of his plays, I recommend the experience. :)
Happy editing! :D

-denny
Way to twist the knife. :twisted:

This will be my first attempt at editing anything beyond my own submissions. I've never BCed a play before, just regular books with individual chapters.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

How did Clinton say it? "I understand your misery."

[Though it's so very hard to compare miseries -- I said that.]

I'm currently editing Dostoevsky's "The Grand Inquistor" (from Brothers Karamazov). I made it a dramatic reading, with multiple parts and a narrator. I played the Inquistor, a yummy part. Ruthie, who's reading this, chipped in as the narrator ... thanks!

What was I thinking of? :help: It's a challenge to edit, for the first time, a dramatic piece. But I'll do it, and so by heavens will you! :thumbs:

Go, daddy go!

-denny
Last edited by DSayers on May 31st, 2011, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

That's quite a compliment, since I so very much love Shawn's role (and writing) in the movie "My Dinner with André."

[If you haven't seen it, rent it quick]. A total hoot.

Wow! Thanks.

-denny