[COMPLETE] The Journal of Lewis and Clarke - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

WOW - that was very fast, thank you! I hope you had fun... MW updated...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

lalalime wrote:Section 8 all done! :D

Section 8: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/journallewisandclarke_08_lewis-clark.mp3

Duration: 24:49
@ 10:16 .....which I considerad as a favorable omen.

"Thus it proved that in a short time they received the
pipe of peace, and lighting it first presented it to me, and
then smoked with it themselves. Soon after they took up
the presents, which had hitherto lain neglected, and appearing
to be greatly pleased with them, departed in a friendlj
manner. And nerer did I receive greater pleasure than at
getting rid of such formidable guests.

"It was not ever in my power to gain a thorough knowl
edge of the designs of my visitors.

Omitted highlighted section, well done and a great listen for me! I do hope you will take on some more sections! :D

Mim
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, there's one more section open! :wink:

Thanks for PL'ing, mim.
Ummm... would you please do me a favour? I'll be on vacation next week, with limited internet access - it would be great if you could keep an extra eye on the project. I don't expect very much to happen, but as you're PL'ing anyway...

Thanks!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
marvellous

Post by marvellous »

:help:

Has anyone encountered Latitude and Longitude? how would you read something like this? thanks!
" lies in latitude 31, 1, 15, N. and longitude 6h. 7, 11, west of Greenwich."
Luigina
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Luigina,

the full notation is missing here in the book. It should be
lies in latitude 31 degrees, 1 minute, 15 seconds, NORTH. and longitude 91 degrees. 7 minutes, 11 seconds, west of Greenwich
I think the 6h is a printer's error. 60 degrees west would only bring you to the eastern tip of Canada, and that's not quite where they started out...

Hope this helps!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
marvellous

Post by marvellous »

thanks! it does help. although many words were garbled in the text; some I could make out from the context, but not all.
Luigina
lalalime

Post by lalalime »

Hi Mim & thx for your kind words. I am glad I came back and checked here - I did not recieve any email or anything to tell me I'd messed up LOL. I just decided to come back and check. I will come and fix my error and re-upload again tomorrow. I may consider another chapter or two in the future, just have to work around other commitments. THIS is my treat for doing all the other life stuff! I prefer to make a commitment and then just get it done.

:P
Barb
Robin of Loxley

Post by Robin of Loxley »

I am a newbie here and have volunteered to read a section. I have my Logitec 350 headset and my computer ready to go. I have downloaded the text from the listed site. I need to update my Audacity. I have read the section as practice and am just waiting for a quiet time to record. I have read the tips about how to handle mistakes in the recording, etc.

What else to I need to know/do to make this a success? Any guidance would be great!
R of L
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Robin,

you could try and make a very short test recording of one minute (try the 'Guides' on top of the page). This way we can figure out if your technical settings are ok without you recording the whole section... :D

Please post your test over at 'Listeners Wanted' (because I'll be on holiday this week, and it will get more exposure there...)

I hope everything will run smoothly!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
lalalime

Post by lalalime »

All fixed! LOL - the uploader just does not like me much. It seems I have to upload twice before it "takes" my recordings"

Chapter 8

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/journallewisandclarke_08_lewis-clark.mp3

Duration: 25:15

Okayyyyy - you twisted my arm, (like Nadine used to do to me for other books) - I will take responsibility for Chapter 22 but I'm sure it will not be as speedy as this last one. I will squeek in little recordings every day and they will add up to the chapter over the next few weeks :)
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

lalalime wrote:All fixed! LOL - the uploader just does not like me much. It seems I have to upload twice before it "takes" my recordings"

Chapter 8

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/journallewisandclarke_08_lewis-clark.mp3

Duration: 25:15

Okayyyyy - you twisted my arm, (like Nadine used to do to me for other books) - I will take responsibility for Chapter 22 but I'm sure it will not be as speedy as this last one. I will squeek in little recordings every day and they will add up to the chapter over the next few weeks :)
Proof listened and All okay and I do then look forward to chapter 22 :lol: :lol:
Rat King

Post by Rat King »

[b]"Polly want a cracked skull?"[/b]
[size=75]- [i]Dirk Gently[/i][/size]
lalalime

Post by lalalime »

Yippeee! Section 22 done! (slamming the virtual book shut with satisfaction) I zipped my file this time to make the upload go faster. Like DUH!

Section 22:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/journallewisandclarke_22_lewis-clark.zip

Duration: 49:18

Meep Meep (Road Runner from the Bugs Bunny cartoons) - off to another book, another chapter. It was fun working with you! :lol:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For future reference, it's better not to zip a file. In order for it to be cataloged, it'll need to be downloaded, unzipped, then the mp3 file uploaded again.

And actually, mp3's are already compressed. You don't save much space zipping an mp3. For example, section 22 zip is 44.7 MB; the mp3 is 45.1 MB. You save 0.4 MB by zipping it (which is about, what - the equivalent of 30 seconds of the audio, more or less, and depending on your connection, about 10 seconds of upload time).

Just some interesting facts for ya. :wink:

Edit to add: I just read earlier in the thread. I suppose if the uploader doesn't like you for some reason and hates when you upload mp3's but is OK with you uploading zips, then I guess your option is to upload as a zip, LOL! So never mind all that wonderful lecture I just typed. :roll:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

lalalime wrote:Yippeee! Section 22 done! (slamming the virtual book shut with satisfaction) I zipped my file this time to make the upload go faster. Like DUH!

Section 22:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/journallewisandclarke_22_lewis-clark.zip

Duration: 49:18

Meep Meep (Road Runner from the Bugs Bunny cartoons) - off to another book, another chapter. It was fun working with you! :lol:

Section 22

@ 14:24 by Columbus, who, when he discovered that island,
thought he could trace the furnaces in which the gold was
refined.

Here I hear finances?

@ 22:55 There are islands at a considerable distance from the continent
of Asia, where we have dot been surprised to find inhabitants;
why then should we wonder to meet with people
in America?
Here you have omitted the word not

Again a great listen! :D