[COMPLETE] The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo -neb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (1802 - 1885) . Gutenberg does not list Translator.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-man-who-laughs-by-victor-hugo/
The Man Who Laughs is a novel by Victor Hugo, originally published in April 1869 under the French title L'Homme qui rit. Also published under the title "By Order of the King". (Introduction by Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 31 January 2012.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12587
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section ### of The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Man Who Laughs, by Victor Hugo. Part [##], Book [##], Chapter [##] - [Chapter title]."
    For example, section 42: Part II, Book the First, Chapter VII - Inferi.

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [The Man Who Laughs], by [Victor Hugo]."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    manwholaughs_###_hugo.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is your section number. (e.g. manwholaughs_001_hugo.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ### - [Section title] PLEASE PLEASE COPY FROM MAGIC WINDOW!!!
    Artist: Victor Hugo
    Album: The Man Who Laughs

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: neb - neckertb
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by wvthcomp on May 2nd, 2010, 3:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
I notice you have a couple of chapters to read as your first reading , can I suggest we keep this on hold till you have done them ?
This is a very long book, over 200,00 words , so it so it would be good for you to have an idea how long it would take , otherwise it can be become a bit depressing when it seems to go on for ever . It would be a great book for us to have in the catalogue :D
There are a few places in the template not filled in - the only bits you can't fill in are [notify=XXXX] and the MC and the folder xx - xxxxxx

Anne
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

Annise:

Of course. However, I would like to get started as soon as those chapters are ready.

I have done a few edits above. Still looking for all the required fields. Will change the proposed completion as well when I return, in order to coincide with the change of schedule.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi John,
Welcome to Librivox! This is really a very long book :shock: - you must have a lot of spare time on your hands if you plan to finish it by February :D

However, I guess if you stick to it, you'll be fine :)
OK, I can be your MC. The details in the post above look fine. Only, since you plan to have more than 100 files, the file name will need to contain three numbers (001, 002 etc) instead of 2. I've changed that.

I agree with Anne that it will be a good thing if you do a test first, and 1 or 2 chapters in another project. You wouldn't want to find out about some technical error once you are 50 sections down in this project... This way, you will be able to make your solo sound as good as possible!

You can upload your files for this project to the lz folder on the uploader. I will wait with making an official database entry and magic window until you upload your first section for this chapter OK? I will tell you more about your tasks as a soloist with regards to the MW at that time.

I will move this over to 'Going Solo' as soon as you have seen this.

Regards,
Anna
Create

Post by Create »

I'd be very happy if I could be your PL!
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

Anna, Create,

Thank you both. I finally have my microphone, and my chapters for other works are about done. I shall be starting this as soon as I get confirmation that those are OK. I shall be very thankful for your assistance in putting together this solo.

As for the lot of time, it helps when you make your own hours. :lol:

Due to the size of the file I did today for Gilded Age, I am thinking I may need to split the chapters into two files instead of my proposed single files. I am uncertain as of this moment. I shall attempt single files, but if they end up too large, then I'll request a transfer to make it two files.

Thanks again.

John
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK - I've moved the thread to Going Solo now, John. I'll make the database entry now.
As for length of file: as long as each file is under 74 minutes it will be OK for LV purposes (74 min is the max that will fit on an audioCD, so people who prefer that medium can still use LV files). But some people do prefer making shorter files, of about 30 min. However, most of the chapters don't seem too long at first sight.

It will be easy to increase (or decrease) the number of sections in the MW at any time. I think 254 is the maximum for 1 project. However, perhaps we should divide this into 2 projects? Part I and Part II? We can easily link the catalog pages so that people can find the other part. We need only decide later for definite. Let's see how big this is going to get.

And Create: thank you! I'll add you as DPL.

Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK, John, MW is in place! In a solo project, the reader is his/her own bookcoordinator (BC): you take care of the MW etc all yourself. The DPL (Create in this case) will then update the MW with PL notes. I'll send you a PM with information on how to work with the MW.

As you can see, I have filled in the titles for the first few files, to give you an example. This is what the ID3 tag for "Title" should look like. As you can see, I've provisionally split up the preliminary chapter into 2 parts, since it seems to be somewhat long (but this is just a suggestion). The first chapters in part I, book I are very short so should not be a problem.
I would like to ask you to fill in those title fields in the MW as you go along in your recordings. It will keep it clear what you are doing. But the most important advantage is that at time of cataloguing, I will be able to transfer what is in the "title" field to the ID3 tags of all the files with 1 click of the button. So if you make a few spelling mistakes in the ID3 tags of your mp3 files there is no need for me to go through 100+ files one by one by hand to update the ID3 tags :D
However - I would advise you not to fill in all the title fields already - there is no way to move all the fields one up or down, so as soon as you find that you do need to split up a chapter into more recordings (or want to combine very short chapters into 1 recording), all your title fields will be off and you'll have to retype by hand :shock: (I learned this myself the hard way).

Let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions. You can do this at your own pace - it will be a long commitment to finish this! However, I'd like it if you check in once in a while (maybe once every month), even if you haven't recorded for a few weeks, so that I know you are still around and interested in the project and haven't disappeared into nothingness :D

Have fun!

Anna
Create

Post by Create »

Hello, wvthcomp!
When, do you think, will you be ready to start? I'm all burning to start the PL-ing! :D
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Create - I'm not sure John is still here - his last post was May 13, and he didn't pick up a PM I sent to him on May 13. Hope he returns... Let's give him a week or 2 more to respond. I'll keep you informed.
Anna
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

Recovering from illness. Haven't been able to talk for a week or so. Will resume shortly.
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

Oh, and yes, I did get the PM when I signed on today. I tried to reply, but I have to send info on myself to administration first.

CREATE, you'll be happy to know that, before my little surgical complications, I did record a bit on this, although not full files. As soon as I can talk again, you will have some editing to do.
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

OK folks, ready to embark on this glorious epic? I, of course, mean putting this recording together - not the book itself LOL.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/manwholaughs_001_hugo.mp3

Happy listening.

The length is 27:04 - and that is with my already doing edits on pacing.

Thanks again

John D. Nugent
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

Hello?
wvthcomp

Post by wvthcomp »

OK Skipping forward a bit, here is 004.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/manwholaughs_004_hugo.mp3

It runs 17:27

John