COMPLETE: Federalist Papers by Hamilton,Madison,Jay - NF/ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
raynr

Post by raynr » June 3rd, 2006, 4:05 pm

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-federalist-papers-by-alexander-hamilton-john-jay-and-james-madison/

The Federalist Papers by Hamilton, Madison, and Jay

This project was started as a solo project, but will be continued as a collaborative reading. The single papers are about 10 minutes each.
Wikipedia wrote:The Federalist Papers are a series of 85 articles arguing for the ratification of the United States Constitution. They were first published serially in New York City newspapers. A compilation, called The Federalist, was published in 1788. The Federalist Papers serve as a primary source for interpretation of the Constitution, as they outline the philosophy and motivation of the proposed system of government. The authors of the Federalist Papers were not above using the opportunity to provide their own "spin" on certain provisions of the constitution to (i) influence the vote on ratification and (ii) influence future interpretations of the provisions in question.

The articles were written by James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay, under the pseudonym "Publius," in honor of Roman consul Publius Valerius Publicola.[1] Madison is generally credited as the father of the Constitution and became the fourth President of the United States. Hamilton was an influential delegate at the Constitutional Convention, and later the first Secretary of the Treasury. John Jay would become the first Chief Justice of the United States. Hamilton penned the majority and Madison made several significant contributions to the series. Jay, who fell ill early in the project, wrote only five.

Target Completion Date: 1 June 2007
Gutenberg E-text:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1404

(BC admin link)

File Name Format: (the ## being your paper number in two digits)
federalist-papers_##

ID3 Tag Formats:
Title: = Federalist No. ## by [Hamilton/Jay/Madison - whoever actually wrote this specific paper]
Artist: Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, and James Madison
Album = The Federalist Papers
Comment (optional) = recorded by your name

File Format:
Stereo, 128kpbs, MP3
sample rate 44100

Delivering of files:
- use the uploader at www.librivox.prolegomena.org - upload password: "public"
- or yousendit http://www.yousendit.com and post the link here
- or store on your own web server, and post the link here

About Recording:

At the Beginning of the Paper
* "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox.org"

* If you wish, identify yourself, by saying as much or as little as you are comfortable with, of:
"Recorded by Your Name, City, Web Address, The current Month and Year"

* Then introduce your recording by saying:
"The federalist papers, federalist number ## by [Alexander Hamilton / John Jay / James Madison - whoever actually wrote this specific paper]"

At the end of the chapter say...
* "End of federalist number ##"
* and leave a few seconds silence

Please check the Recording Notes thread before recording:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

If this is your first recording, you'll also find this useful:
http://librivox.org/about-recording/

Note on footnotes:
There is no real standard procedure for the footnotes. You can basically decide for yourself how to handle them. Nevertheless, I can tell you how they are normally handled: footnotes by the author are normally included, footnotes added by someone else (e.g. editor) not necessarily. You best include the footnotes at that point where they emerge. I start the footnote at exactly the word where they are mentioned with "footnote: ...." and conclude with "end of footnote". Then I repeat the started sentence to make sure that the listener gets back into the flow of the text.

Thanks for volunteering,

Rainer
Last edited by raynr on July 4th, 2007, 2:04 am, edited 63 times in total.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)

DaveF

Post by DaveF » June 5th, 2006, 4:36 am

Over the weekend, I took a rip at Federalist No. 6. (My wife was kind enough to take the baby for a few hours -- thanks, hon!) The result can be accessed at:

http://librivox.prolegomena.org/upload/federalist_papers/federalist-papers_06.mp3

Note that the MP3 has been edited for content, but not normalized or equalized.

I invite criticism from listeners. Sorry if this post is a bit wordy, but this is my first-ever recording for Librivox, and I want to make sure I am on the right track before proceeding, regarding both technical and stylistic issues. If there is anything I can do to improve my reading (as surely there is, let's be realistic), I'd love to hear it.

For myself, I have a number of concerns, which may necessitate some editing and (perhaps) a bit of re-recording. First of all, I am not happy with the way I handled some of the footnotes. It's not my fault exactly; I read Rainer's suggestions in the original "solo" thread for this project, but I submit that it is difficult to insert three footnotes into an extremely long sentence without losing the flow of the sentence at some point. Have a listen and see what you think, but my current plan is to re-edit a couple of sections to eliminate all repeats until I get to the last footnote in the sentence, and then repeat the entire sentence.

Another concern is the pronunciation of some of the footnotes. Here I blame Mr. Hamilton for having the temerity to use languages with which I am unfamiliar. :? If someone identifies a truly egregious mispronunciation, and provides me with a correct version, I will be happy to try and fix it in the recording. The difficulty in doing this is that a recording made at a different time, even with the same mike, room, setup, etc., will sound quite different from the original, even to the point of distraction. But I can try.

Finally, I am a little concerned about the background noise. After some initial tests recording directly into my MP3 player via the built-in mic, I broke down and hauled out the condenser mike. The problem is, I am recording in a room with not one but two noisy computers. However, having listened to the recording in a quiet setting, I think the background noise is at an acceptable level. (Though if someone disagrees, let me know and I will make different arrangements.)

I await feedback on this, my virgin effort, and I look forward to plowing ahead with no. 7.

raynr

Post by raynr » June 5th, 2006, 6:00 am

Hello Dave,

as you wrote a "bit wordy" post, the answer will even get longer :wink:. First of all (as a summary), thanks for your contribution, you did everything right and your recording is really good.
Just as an information: you pointed to the inbox (where I can check that nobody tries to distribute the newest Hollywood movie), but the papers have their own folder here: http://librivox.prolegomena.org/upload/federalist_papers/
I took the liberty to correct the link in your post (hope you don't mind)
DaveF wrote:Note that the MP3 has been edited for content, but not normalized or equalized.
That's excellent. All files will be normalised before archiving (so that the volume is corrected for different readers)
DaveF wrote:I invite criticism from listeners. Sorry if this post is a bit wordy, but this is my first-ever recording for Librivox, and I want to make sure I am on the right track before proceeding, regarding both technical and stylistic issues. If there is anything I can do to improve my reading (as surely there is, let's be realistic), I'd love to hear it.

For myself, I have a number of concerns, which may necessitate some editing and (perhaps) a bit of re-recording. First of all, I am not happy with the way I handled some of the footnotes. It's not my fault exactly; I read Rainer's suggestions in the original "solo" thread for this project, but I submit that it is difficult to insert three footnotes into an extremely long sentence without losing the flow of the sentence at some point. Have a listen and see what you think, but my current plan is to re-edit a couple of sections to eliminate all repeats until I get to the last footnote in the sentence, and then repeat the entire sentence.
Your reading is really good, there is really nothing I can think of what you could do better. Everyone is his own hardest critic, and hearing your own voice is very irritating at the beginning, but believe me, you have an excellent reading voice. Footnotes are always a problem, but that's due to the audiobook format, and the way you dealt them is the best anyone can do. Your idea for the footnotes if there are more than one in the sentence is really good, but you don't have to re-edit the section, you can do it in your next papers (but of course - if you want to do this to satify a perfectionistic attitude, you are welcome :wink:)
DaveF wrote:Another concern is the pronunciation of some of the footnotes. Here I blame Mr. Hamilton for having the temerity to use languages with which I am unfamiliar.
For this, I provide you with a tip by another volunteer, who has long years of experience with recording:
ChipDoc wrote:Here's a trick I've used to deal with unfamiliar pronounciations: Say it in whatever way seems best to you, but say it WITH AUTHORITY. If you sound like you know what you're talking about, most folks will believe you. Even if you're dead wrong, most folks who know "the right way" to pronounce a word will pause and consider if possibly YOU are right if you speak the word with easy conviction.
And you did that very well, so don't think about possible mispronunciations.
DaveF wrote:Finally, I am a little concerned about the background noise. After some initial tests recording directly into my MP3 player via the built-in mic, I broke down and hauled out the condenser mike. The problem is, I am recording in a room with not one but two noisy computers. However, having listened to the recording in a quiet setting, I think the background noise is at an acceptable level. (Though if someone disagrees, let me know and I will make different arrangements.)
Your background noise is not distracting, leave it as it is. I know, some volunteers here somehow manage to get a recording as if they were sitting in a professional studio, but this "white noise" (a constant, neutral sound) from a computer fan is not distracting, after a short while you won't notice it. If you are working in front of a computer, you know what I mean. Do you notice the fan? Background noise is only distracting if it isn't constant, but that is not the case in your recording.
DaveF wrote:I await feedback on this, my virgin effort, and I look forward to plowing ahead with no. 7.

You got it and I hope it was encouraging. Once again, thanks for your contribution and have fun with recording you next chapter (but don't neglect your child :wink: )

Greetings,

Rainer

DaveF

Post by DaveF » June 10th, 2006, 9:00 pm

I have posted Federalist No. 7 at the prolegomena site:

http://librivox.prolegomena.org/upload/federalist_papers/federalist-papers_07.mp3

(Actually, the file is in the inbox as I write this, but I'm assuming it will get moved to the appropriate project folder, so my link anticipates that.)

My reading is not perfect with respect to the text, but I do not believe the mistakes are significant. If anyone disagrees, let me know -- I think I might be able to correct them by editing.

Cheers,
Dave

DaveF

Post by DaveF » June 11th, 2006, 2:31 pm

I have posted Federalist No. 8 to the prolegomena site:

http://librivox.prolegomena.org/upload/federalist_papers/federalist-papers_08.mp3

The reading is OK (IMHO), but there is more background noise on this one. I will see if there is anything I can do to mitigate it for future recordings.

Cheers,
Dave

raynr

Post by raynr » June 12th, 2006, 4:16 am

Received,

thanks! I've not much time now, so I'm afraid I can't listen to your recordings right now.

Rainer

Anadaxis_Canejia

Post by Anadaxis_Canejia » June 14th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Hello Rainer,

This would be my first recording attempt with LibriVox - I remember doing a project on James Madison in High School that involved the Federalist Papers and I would love to be able to revisit some of them through this reading. I will claim 11, 12, and 13 for now and see how I do on them.

Thank you!
Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus.

raynr

Post by raynr » June 15th, 2006, 11:43 pm

Hello Anadaxis,

you are marked down for chapters 11-13. Thanks for volunteering and if you have any questions, just ask.

Greetings,
Rainer

Fedewa

Post by Fedewa » June 20th, 2006, 9:25 pm

I'll claim 14 and 18 for now and see how long it takes, etc. I have listened to a lot of audiobooks and it will be interesting to see how difficult it is to do the reading.

John Fedewa
Arlington, Virginia

raynr

Post by raynr » June 21st, 2006, 1:37 pm

Hello John,

welcome to LibriVox and thanks for volunteering. Papers 14 and 18 are yours.
Here are some tips for recording:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
And our wiki is even more detailed
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

But if you have any questions, just ask.

Greetings,
Rainer

DaveF

Post by DaveF » June 23rd, 2006, 10:38 am

I have posted Federalist No. 9 to the prolegomena site:

http://librivox.prolegomena.org/upload/federalist_papers/federalist-papers_09.mp3

The background noise is back to manageable levels after I replaced the power supply in one of my computers. That thing was getting noisy!

Fed no. 10 is recorded but awaiting editing. I am hoping to knock it out this weekend.

I am glad to see some other folks coming on board! I would like to claim papers 15-17 for now, and we'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
Dave

raynr

Post by raynr » June 23rd, 2006, 3:15 pm

Received.
Thanks a lot for your contribution. The papers 15-17 are reserved for you. The chapters are not that long, I think we will complete the project in a few weeks or month.

Fedewa

Post by Fedewa » June 24th, 2006, 10:22 am

You can add 19 and 20 to my list. Should have my four for you shortly.

raynr

Post by raynr » June 24th, 2006, 1:18 pm

Done. Thank you!

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm » June 24th, 2006, 1:55 pm

Could I do Federalist 21? I'm a newbie but I would like to give it a try.