COMPLETE: [HIST FICTION] Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » March 14th, 2010, 8:16 pm

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/quo-vadis-by-henryk-sienkiewicz/

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1846-1916) . [Translated by S.A. Binion (1853-1914) and S. Malevsky].

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
Sienkiewicz’s epic novel of ancient Rome finds the Empire at the height of her power and splendor, but struggling with the madness and cruelty of the Emperor Nero. A new religion is sweeping across the world, causing many Romans to wonder and leading many others to sacrifice everything for it. Yet, even as a great city burns and darkness threatens to overwhelm the age, hope is found in the love of the Roman tribune Marcus Vinicius for the beautiful Christian maiden Lygia, and in his journey toward his life’s true purpose (Introduction by D. Leeson).
  • Target completion date: September 1, 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/quovadisataleti00siengoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Quo Vadis: A Tale of the Time of Nero. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Quo Vadis, by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Translated by S.A. Binion and S. Malevsky. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Translated by S.A. Binion and S. Malevsky. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Quo Vadis: A Tale of the Time of Nero, by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Translated by S.A. Binion and S. Malevsky."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    quovadis_01_sienkiewicz.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 01 - Part I, Chapter 1
    Artist: Henryk Sienkiewicz
    Album: Quo Vadis
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by NoDecaf on June 26th, 2010, 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » March 15th, 2010, 7:47 am

May I DPL this for you?

MaryAnn
Join us to MARCH to the finish line by completing as many projects as we can during March! This thread tracks our progress and lists projects in need of readers/PLers.

My Librivox solos

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 15th, 2010, 9:21 am

I was going to set this up myself as soon as I had some time, so I might as well Mc it. :D

I'll be back soon with the MW.
Leni
=================
Have you helped with the Clean Up today?
Pliny's Natural History, volume 6 is in need of readers! Come help us out!

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 15th, 2010, 9:41 am

It's set up, MaryAnn is added as a DPLer.

Just to make sure: you're using an archive scan instead of Gutenberg because of preference in translation, right?

When the MW is complete and the project is ready for claims, I will move this to Readers Wanted. :thumbs:
Last edited by Leni on March 15th, 2010, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
=================

NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » March 15th, 2010, 10:31 am

Mary Ann - glad to have you on board as DPL! I'll try to get the first section out soon.

Leni - thanks for setting this up for me. As you noted, I've linked to a particular edition on archive.org rather than Gutenberg (it's also available on Google Books if there's a problem). I had to decide whether to use this translation or the more well-known translation by Jeremiah Curtin. In the end, I felt like Curtin's phrasing was more stilted and old-fashioned, and might not be as easy for the listener as Binion's translation. Not an easy decision - Sienkiewicz himself felt like Curtin should be his exclusive English translator!

I'm a huge Sienkiewicz fan, and getting Quo Vadis into our catalog has been a longtime goal. Hope I can do it justice.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 15th, 2010, 10:46 am

And, silly me, thought all the time this was a Collab. :oops: Probably because I was thinking of opening it as a collab? Who knows...

Yes, I imagined you chose the archive over gutenberg due to being a different translation. I added your name to the MW.

Sorry for the duh moment... >.< Moving this to Going Solo. Happy recording!
Leni
=================

NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » March 16th, 2010, 5:52 am

NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » March 17th, 2010, 7:50 am

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » March 20th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Section 1 is PL OK

You really float over the names - I'm impressed 8-)

MaryAnn
Join us to MARCH to the finish line by completing as many projects as we can during March! This thread tracks our progress and lists projects in need of readers/PLers.

My Librivox solos

NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » March 27th, 2010, 5:57 am

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » March 28th, 2010, 7:38 am

Sections 2 and 3 are PL OK.
MaryAnn

My Librivox solos

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » March 29th, 2010, 6:39 am

Section 4 is PL OK.
MaryAnn

My Librivox solos

NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » April 3rd, 2010, 5:36 am

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » April 3rd, 2010, 2:54 pm

I see a couple more sections are up. Just so you know, I am leaving Thursday for a 16 day trip. Its a bit crazy at work getting ready to go (longest vacation I've taken whilst employed, now I understand why I don't do it more often). I won't have internet access during the trip, but I will catch up with the PLing when I return.

This is not a book that I would read if I had to read the words on the page, but having you tell me the story is great! That's one of the things I love about Librivox - I have listened to a great many books that I would never manage to read.

MaryAnn

My Librivox solos

NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » April 7th, 2010, 9:13 am