[COMPLETE] Amadis of Gaul, by Vasco Lobeira - le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 30th, 2010, 6:04 am

Amadis of Gaul by Vasco de Lobeira (? - 1403). [Translated by Robert Southey] (1774-1843).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/amadis-of-gaul-by-vasco-de-lobeira/
Amadis of Gaul (Amadís de Gaula, in Spanish) was not the first, but certainly one of the best known knight-errantry tales of the 16th century. Not only is its authorship doubtful, but even the language in which it was first written - Portuguese or Spanish. It is imagined to have been composed in the 14th century, but the known first printed edition came to light in Zaragoza in 1508, and the oldest extant version is in Spanish.

The plot is the story of the brave knight Amadis, and starts with the forbidden love of his parents and his secret birth, followed by his abandonment near water. He is found and raised as the son of a knight. Upon reaching adulthood, he goes in a quest for his own identity, and investigates his origins through fantastic adventures: plenty of wizards, princesses, damsels in distress and other knights people the world of Amadis.

Amadis of Gaul, together with Palmerin of England and Tirante the White, are the only books saved from the fire by Quixote's curant, when purging the knight's library: Tirante, for its quaintness; Palmerin, because he thought it had been written by the king himself; and Amadis, for being the best of its kind. Even if Cervante's praise works more as censure, it's a fact that Amadis represents the style as no other, and was the father of a numerous flock, becoming a landmark work among the knight-errantry tales and marking the story of European literature. (Summary by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!):

Volume 1 - http://www.archive.org/details/amadisgaul03lobegoog
    Volume 2 - http://www.archive.org/details/amadisgaul02lobegoog
    Voume 3 - http://www.archive.org/details/amadisgaul01lobegoog

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE READ THIS: This book will be read from an Internet Archive image file. Aso, this book was originally published in three volumes, that do NOT correspond to the "Books" in the work. When you claim a section, please observe the volume indication in the notes field, to know in which volume your chapter wil be found.

Click on the appropriate link above and choose your format. Personally, I use the Read Online option, but the PDF and the Djvu work just fine as well. The number of the page indicated is the page in the image, and it is the same in the three formats. Look for the page number and the chapter/chapters indicated in the Magic Window. Stop reading when the chapter or chapters have ended.

If you find any difficulties, please do PM me, I'll be glad to help.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE:

So that we don't have too many inconsistencies regarding pronunciation of the main characters' names, I'd ask you to please listen to this short file with the pronunciation of the following names, and try to say them as close as possible to the recording. Thank you!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/amadis_de_gaula.mp3

Abies
    Agrayes
    Amadís
    Balays
    Beltenebros
    Corisanda
    Durin
    Elisena
    Florestan
    Galaor
    Galvanes
    Gandales
    Gandalin
    Lisuarte
    Mabilia
    Miraflores
    Olivas
    Oriana
    Perion
    Urganda

Thank you!

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Book [number] Chapter [number] of Amadis of Gaul. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Amadis of Gaul, by Vasco de Lobeira. Translated by Robert Southey. [Book, Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Amadis of Gaul, by Vasco de Lobeira. Translated by Robert Southey."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    amadis_##_lobeira.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. amadis_01_lobeira.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - Book ## Chapter ##
    Artist: Vasco de Lobeira
    Album: Amadis of Gaul

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Leni on January 31st, 2010, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
=================

Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

miss stav

Post by miss stav » January 30th, 2010, 6:09 am

Leni,
I swar not to take new pling projects, but I want to pl this one. It sounds so lovely.
Stav.
Love Children's books? Try On Angel's Wings. Looking for an easy read? Try Herb Of Grace. Want some philosophy? Try The History Of The Devil. Like mysteries? Try Natalie Paige.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 30th, 2010, 8:12 am

Hi, Stav

Thanks for offering to PL, you're added as DPLer. :)

This book was in that list someone posted some time ago, with the 100 PD novels...

I am stil finishing adding the sections to the window.
Leni
=================

Kaffen

Post by Kaffen » January 30th, 2010, 10:04 am

I'll sign on for Section 6 (chs 12-13)!
:)
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 30th, 2010, 10:49 am

Thanks, Mark! Section assigned!

I haven't finished the MW yet, since I will add at least part of the chapter titles, so people know more or less what's in the chapter. Also, I will add a recording of the pronounciation of the main characters' names.
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 31st, 2010, 5:47 am

Moving us to Readers Wanted: I will be filling in the titles of the sections as soon as possible, but claims are already welcome! :P
Leni
=================

Kaffen

Post by Kaffen » February 1st, 2010, 3:32 pm

Here's Section 6:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/amadis_06_lobeira.mp3

Boy! That book could use some punctuation!:?

35:26
34.0MB
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 1st, 2010, 3:41 pm

:lol:

I suppose the 17th century didn't like punctuation much.

Thanks much, Mark!
Leni
=================

miss stav

Post by miss stav » February 3rd, 2010, 6:56 am

section 6 is great.
Love Children's books? Try On Angel's Wings. Looking for an easy read? Try Herb Of Grace. Want some philosophy? Try The History Of The Devil. Like mysteries? Try Natalie Paige.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 3rd, 2010, 10:41 am

Thanks, stav!
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 11th, 2010, 6:22 pm

The Preface is uploaded, at 35:58.
Leni
=================

miss stav

Post by miss stav » February 11th, 2010, 11:20 pm

The Preface Is great.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 12th, 2010, 5:11 am

Thanks again, Stav!
Leni
=================

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » February 24th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Hi Leni,

I would like to read section 2. This sounds like an interesting work.

Thanks,

-Amy

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 25th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Thanks much, Amy! The section is all yours.
Leni
=================