~[COMPLETE] Institutes of the Christian Religion Bk 3 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book Three by John Calvin (1509–1564). Translated by Henry Beveridge.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/institutes-of-the-christian-religion-book-3-by-john-calvin/
Institutes of the Christian Religion is John Calvin's seminal work on Protestant systematic theology. Highly influential in the Western world and still widely read by theological students today, it was published in Latin in 1536 and in his native French in 1541, with the definitive editions appearing in 1559 (Latin) and in 1560 (French).

The book was written as an introductory textbook on the Protestant faith for those with some learning already and covered a broad range of theological topics from the doctrines of church and sacraments to justification by faith alone and Christian liberty, and it vigorously attacked the teachings of those Calvin considered unorthodox, particularly Roman Catholicism to which Calvin says he had been "strongly devoted" before his conversion to Protestantism. The over-arching theme of the book – and Calvin's greatest theological legacy – is the idea of God's total sovereignty, particularly in salvation and election.

The Institutes are a primary reference for the system of doctrine adopted by the Reformed churches, usually called Calvinism.

Book Three of the Institutes, "which contains a full exposition of the Third Part of the Apostles’ Creed, treats of the mode of procuring the grace of Christ, the benefits which we derive and the effects which follow from it, or of the operations of the Holy Spirit in regard to our salvation." (Summary from Wikipedia & Book 3 Argument)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is Sept 30, 2010.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/institutes.html Please read from the Google document linked in each section.

Note on the text: I've noticed that some chapters have Greek terms. Sometimes these terms come through in Greek letters, but sometimes they're gibberish in our lettering. :? If you can't figure it out, post and we'll try to help.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Modified Word Perfect: Standard plus noting difference in text that change the meaning.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book Three. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book Three by John Calvin. Translated by Henry Beveridge. [Section]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book Three, by John Calvin. Translated by Henry Beveridge."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    institutesofchristianreligion3_##_calvin.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your book and section number. (e.g. institutesofchristianreligion3_04_calvin.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section Title]
    Artist: John Calvin
    Album: Institutes of the Christian Religion, Bk 3

(Note: These are indicated in the Google Document for each section.)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by TriciaG on October 8th, 2010, 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
dii

Post by dii »

Hi Tricia! :D

I'll take section 1 :)
Diana
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yay! My first reader! 8-)
dii

Post by dii »

Diana
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you!:)
dabbler

Post by dabbler »

Section 01
02.49 'indiscriminately' in text read as 'indiscriminantly' "VI. As all do not indiscriminately embrace the fellowship of Christ offered in the Gospel"
03.20 'alleviated' in text read as 'allevelated' "VII. Lastly, As the hard warfare which the Christian................it is shown how it may be alleviated by meditating on the final resurrection."

I didn't know that viz is pronounced as 'videlicet', thanks dii.
dii

Post by dii »

dabbler wrote:Section 01
02.49 'indiscriminately' in text read as 'indiscriminantly' "VI. As all do not indiscriminately embrace the fellowship of Christ offered in the Gospel"
03.20 'alleviated' in text read as 'allevelated' "VII. Lastly, As the hard warfare which the Christian................it is shown how it may be alleviated by meditating on the final resurrection."

I didn't know that viz is pronounced as 'videlicet', thanks dii.
I didn't know either, but Google is my friend :P :mrgreen:

Thanks for the notes, I'll fix these in a minute ^^
Diana
dii

Post by dii »

Section 1 is edited and re-uploaded, new time is 3:35 :)
Diana
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When I see "viz" I just say, "that is..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viz
dabbler

Post by dabbler »

Hi Tricia,
Till about half an hour ago, before I knew videlicet, viz was for me to be pronounced as 'viz' and 'that is' was usually reserved for i.e, . But videlicet does sound very grand, doesn't it? :lol:
IndigoXiphoid

Post by IndigoXiphoid »

Hi Tricia,
I'm interested in PL'ing the first section if you like.
I warn you in advance that I have not yet PL'ed but I'm willing to try my best :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It'd be a good one for you to practice on, then. :)

Go for it. All it really needs is to spot check the edits required in THIS POST, but you may go ahead and listen to the whole thing, with proof-listening in mind, to get the feel for how to do it. Post or PM me with questions.

P.S. It's up to you if you want, but I've got at least one section in Antiquities of the Jews that needs proof-listening, since I'm PL'ing the sections but can't PL my own sections. Hee hee! CLICK HERE to go to the thread. I'll have two more sections up today, Lord willing.
IndigoXiphoid

Post by IndigoXiphoid »

I noted the spots that needed improvement and it looks like they were changed according to suggestion.

Also I can try to do the other PL if you would like, I'm unfortunately on my University campus right now and it's far too noisy to do so right now but I can try to have it done by tomorrow evening.

Hope that helps.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Perfect - thanks!
musil

Post by musil »

I claim section 3.

Eugene