[COMPLETE] Chesterfield's Letters to His Son -arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and a Gentleman, by Philip Stanhope, Fourth Earl of Chesterfield

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/letters-to-his-son-on-the-art-of-becoming-a-man-of-the-world-and-a-gentleman-by-philip-stanhope-4th-earl-of-chesterfield/
Philip Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield, was at one time Ambassador to the Hague, negotiated the second Treaty of Vienna, was a founding governor of London’s Foundling Hospital, Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland, and Secretary of State. Having no legitimate children, his heir was his third cousin (another Philip) whom he adopted. Although known as a hard, calculating man, he is most well known for his letters to his natural son (i.e., illegitimate son) (also called Philip). When Philip died in 1768, the letters are addressed to his grandchildren (Philip’s two sons, Charles, and, yes, Philip!). (Sibella Denton)

From the introduction:
“The proud Lord Chesterfield would have turned in his grave had he known that he was to go down to posterity as a teacher and preacher of the gospel of not grace, but—"the graces, the graces, the graces." Natural gifts, social status, open opportunities, and his ambition, all conspired to destine him for high statesmanship. If anything was lacking in his qualifications, he had the pluck and good sense to work hard and persistently until the deficiency was made up. Something remained lacking, and not all his consummate mastery of arts could conceal that conspicuous want,—the want of heart.
Teacher and preacher he assuredly is, and long will be, yet no thanks are his due from a posterity of the common people whom he so sublimely despised. His pious mission was not to raise the level of the multitude, but to lift a single individual upon a pedestal so high that his lowly origin should not betray itself. That individual was his, Lord Chesterfield's, illegitimate son, whose inferior blood should be given the true blue hue by concentrating upon him all the externals of aristocratic education.”
MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • Example filename
    letterstohisson_###_chesterfield.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: Letter 001
    Artist: Philip Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield
    Album: Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and a Gentleman
Last edited by Sibella on October 19th, 2010, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Hi, Sibella,

I can take this project.
I will make the MW in a few hours time.

Bart
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

:D THanks, Bart. There is no hurry - I'd like to wait in here a bit and find a PL, too!
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

*sticking my nose where it may not belong*

Is there any way that some sections could be combined? I THINK that archive.org goes all haywire and causes problems if there are more than 256 files. I remember that whoever cataloged the little vignettes on Lincoln (about 350 sections) had a very difficult time with it.

I can confirm this with whoever cataloged that project, if you like, to be sure that it really is a problem.

Just a thought.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

*sticking her nose too*

The text doesn't seem to be that long though... 23 letters. Maybe it should be 32, and it was a typo?
Leni
=================
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Sibella,
I miss pling for you. SO, I will pl this one for you. Ok?
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ooo, you're right, Leni. Now why didn't I think of looking at the source text? :roll:
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Thanx Tricia & Leni for your help. I don't think I would have seen the mistake.

MW is up and running

Miss Stav is added as DPL (is that ok with you Sibella?).

I changed the id3-tag and filename, since the number of sections is a bit lower than originally anticipated.

Bart
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Guys, there are 320 letters. IT's 300,000 words. I may be able to combine if there is a problem with projects over 256. However, I am not going to do 10K sections. Believe me, I looked quite carefully at the text before I posted the request.

[/b][/size]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

And no, 320 was not a typo, and whatever text you are looking at is only part 1 of the whole book.

[/b][/size]
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We went to your Gutenberg link. I now see that that is only the first of 10 volumes. Here's a link to the entire work: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3361

Would you want to maybe do this in 2 parts? Do half and half?

Edit: Before deciding, I've asked the other admins if there really is a limit at Archive as to number of sections. It's probably best to confirm that before we get too excited. :wink:
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

You're right, we have the wrong file.
You mean to use this one: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3361
(What a coincidence that the first book is exactly 32 letters!)

I completely agree, not to make long sections, because that is very inconvenient for the listeners. But we can't make 320 sections. What do you want? Combine two letters in each section? Split the project in two?
I don't mind. Just tell me.

Bart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I'm going to bow out now. Y'all can handle this without me. :)
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

I want to wait for confirmation that 320 isn't doable.

If we have to do it, I can combine some of the later letters; there are several short ones at the end when Lord Chesterfield was reaching the end of his life. THere are a few short ones in the middle as well. It's not regular, and it doesn't make sense to combine two in one as a rule.

[/b][/size]
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

OK, I will ask the tech-people what limit there is at archive.org and report back as soon as possible.

Bart