COMPLETE: The Metamorphosis or Golden Ass, by L. Apuleius-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/metamorphosis-or-the-golden-ass-by-lucius-apuleius/

The Metamorphosis, or Golden Ass, by Lucius Apuleius (c. 125 – c. 180). Translated by Thomas Taylor (1758–1835)

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
The Metamorphosis, also known as The Golden Ass, is one of the very few novels of the Ancient World that survived to our days; one of the two novels of Roman Literature that we can still read; and the only one preserved in its entirety (the other one being the extremely fragmentary Satyricon).

The story of the Metamorphosis, the tale of a man turned into a donkey that goes through many adventures to become a man again, inspired many other similar ones later on. However, more than just the plot, the style of the Golden Ass also made it famous.

Considered one of the precursors of the picaresque novel, The Metamorphosis was written in a language that can be humorous and energetic, while telling the misadventures of the credulous and curious main character, but also powerfully poetic, in moments such as in the episode of Cupid and Psyche, one of the most famous parts of this book, and of Latin literature as a whole.

(Summary by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is August 7th 2010.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/metamorphosisor00apulgoog

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: This book will be read from an Internet Archive image file. Click on the link above and choose your format. Personally, I use the Read Online option, but the PDF and the Djvu work just fine as well. The number of the page is the same in the three formats. Look for the page number and chapter indicated in the Magic Window. Stop reading when the chapter has ended, or when you arrive at the sentence indicated in the Window.

All sections are around 10 pages long, except the preface.

If you find any difficulties, please do PM me, I'll be glad to help.

PLEASE, DO NOT READ THE FOOTNOTES.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] part [number] of The Metamorphosis, or Golden Ass. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Metamorphosis, or Golden Ass, by Apuleius. Translated by Thomas Taylor. [Chapter, part]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter, part]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Metamorphosis, or Golden Ass, by Apuleius. Translated by Thomas Taylor."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    goldenass_##_apuleius.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. goldenass_01_apuleius.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title, copy from the Magic Window, please]
    Artist: Lucius Apuleius
    Album: The Metamorphosis or Golden Ass

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Leni on September 4th, 2010, 10:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
Leni
=================
Marian Martin

Post by Marian Martin »

Just popping in to say hello, Leni. Looking forward to working with you on this very interesting project.:D
Marian
npreuninger

Post by npreuninger »

Hello! I've just discovered Librivox and am excited to become a part of the community!

I know you haven't finished breaking the page numbers down in the Magic Box, but I'd love to jump in at the start of chapter one! I assume that'd be section 02? If that's alright, put me under the name Nicholas Scott!

Thanks!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

npreuninger wrote:Hello! I've just discovered Librivox and am excited to become a part of the community!

I know you haven't finished breaking the page numbers down in the Magic Box, but I'd love to jump in at the start of chapter one! I assume that'd be section 02? If that's alright, put me under the name Nicholas Scott!

Thanks!
Hello, Nicholas, and thank you for your interest in helping this project. As soon as I finish dividing the sections, I will put you down for the first chapter. In the meantime, I suggest you read the Newbie Guide to Recording ( http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording ) and do the One-Minute test, explained there, so we can make sure your recording settings are all ok before you start with a book chapter. Nothing more frustrating than having to re-record a whole section because of some minor technical detail! You should post your test in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum, for faster feedback. :)

Thank you!
Leni
=================
npreuninger

Post by npreuninger »

Leni wrote: In the meantime, I suggest you read the Newbie Guide to Recording ( http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording ) and do the One-Minute test, explained there, so we can make sure your recording settings are all ok before you start with a book chapter. Nothing more frustrating than having to re-record a whole section because of some minor technical detail! You should post your test in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum, for faster feedback. :)

Thank you!
Just recorded my test and upped it to the forum. I'll wait for feedback and then have at it! :thumbs:
Nick
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thank you, Nicholas!

Since you said you wanted to read chapter one, and the first chapter of the book had to be split into two sections, I assigned sections 01 and 02 to you. Let me know if you prefer to claim just one.

Since we are all set, off to Readers Wanted!
Last edited by Leni on January 9th, 2010, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
=================
npreuninger

Post by npreuninger »

Sounds great, Leni! I'll keep you updated about its status!
Nick
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

I will go ahead and claim the introduction myself. ;)
Leni
=================
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

Hi Leni-could you put me down for 5 sections,please-consecutive,but otherwise I don't mind which ones. It would be nice to do some of this book in Latin, wouldn't it ? The Cupid and Psyche episode would be about the right length.hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, hefyd. I'll put you down for the next ones then, thanks for claiming.

Yes, I thought the other day about doing some more Latin recordings. Not quite sure where to start though. :lol:
Leni
=================
LeJae Seipel

Post by LeJae Seipel »

Hi Leni,
Could you put me down for: 08 - Chapter 4, Part 2 (from page 81, starting from "Sinister event, however", to page 97). I'm excited! :D
Thanks,
LeJae Seipel
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, LeJae Seipel, and welcome to the project.

Before I can assign you the section, since this seems to be your first recording for Librivox, I need to know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the catalog.

I see you have already done a test recording, but if you have any doubts, please ask. :)
Leni
=================
LeJae Seipel

Post by LeJae Seipel »

How about ljsei for an alias?
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

That's fine. You're already added, and the catalog name has been entered.

Happy recording! :D
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Section 00 is uploaded and in the MW.
Leni
=================