[COMPLETE] Dialogo dei massimi sistemi by Galilei - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Kazbek wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:49 am I agree that ecclesiastical pronunciation makes sense for this text, but the word aeneus is a special case, because the second letter is long. It's sometimes spelled "aëneus" or "aheneus", so a and e would be read as two separate vowels.
Michael
Michael, thanks: Your remark is correct, so I propose to pronounce it, when revising the section (if Emanuela agrees) "aènea" (actually in fact it is a hiatus, not a diphthong); but I would instead pronounce sphaera, "sfera" and the sound of "sfera aènea" satisfies my ear, when trying to immedesimate myself in Galileo personality!
Pier
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Now, here comes the pernickety snail.
I did a little bit of research...
*puts on her teacher-like glasses*
...and...
*looks at the both of them with inquisitive eyes*
... I think eanea has the first ae to be read as "e" (dittongo) and the second to be read as "e-a"
I'm quite confident that in "sphaera aenea" --> aenea comes from aes = bronzo. I do not have anymore my great vocabulary, 'couse I lent it to my syster's daughter, and I cannot find a suitable one on the net to see where the dieresi is.
BUT, let me tell you.
This should be a "complemento di specificazione (di materia)" -sorry is difficult to translate this in english- meaning, that in the most of the classical latin it should be having something like "ex" to specify the material with the spherae is done. But Galileo wasn't anymore on the classical times of latin, so I do think it should be the correct translation and hence, I would read it "sfera enea".

That said, I will try to do the PL this evening or tomorrow, and I will accept whatever spelling you and Michael will decide on.

Emanuela
*the snail puts back her teacher-like glasses and retreats into the shell*
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Michael, Emanuela, how interesting! :clap:
Latin is still arousing a lot of interesting and
animated discussions!
So, Monika and Availle, my proposal is that after finishing I dialoghi sui massimi sistemi, we start reading "Sidereus Nuncius" in Latin as next Galileo's book, to keep the interest on Latin alive.
Pier
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

*a little ocular bulb sneacks out from the shell*
"Pier you do know that we could go weeks on argue on how to pronounce every single phrase?" It would take more or less hundreds of years to finish that with me and you involved!"

*giggles*
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

:lol:
Pier
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

:lol:
Iunta4Ios wrote: July 14th, 2020, 11:13 am So, Monika and Availle, my proposal is that after finishing I dialoghi sui massimi sistemi, we start reading "Sidereus Nuncius" in Latin as next Galileo's book, to keep the interest on Latin alive.
Ok, well, as long as I don't have to do more than here :lol: <graciouslyslidingaway>
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Pier, here my suggestions for Section 28:

2:52, p.212, 20 lines to bottom: missing Salviati’s speech;
3:39, p.212, 3 lines to bottom: “congiungasi le due rette” instead of “congiungansi le due rette”;
9:59, p.214, 8 lines to bottom: “irregolarmente” instead of “irregolatamente”;
20:16, p.217, 6 lines to bottom: “poiche’ voi siete” instead of “poiche’ voi sete”;
21:30, p.218, 8 lines from top: “possiamo far girare” instead of “possiam far girare”;
24:03, p.218, last line: “in estrudere i proietti” instead of “in estruder i proietti”;
29:59, p.220, 8 lines to bottom: “adeguata” instead of “adequata”.

cheers,
Emanuela
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Thanks Emanuela, tomorrow I'll try to correct section 28, leaving my first reading of our Latin sentence, unless someone comes out with a further full convincing different interpretation.
Pier
Ps. By the way I will be away for a few days after that , taken in some other engagements.
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

I uploaded the revised sec.28:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/dialogomassimisistemi_28_galilei_128kb.mp3
(33:26 m now)

A last (I hope!) note on “sphaere aenea” :roll: : I asked trough a dear friend, an opinion of a Greek- Latin professor, illustrating all our considerations, and his suggestion was to pronounce it as ”sfera enea”.
But I just “relata refero” not having occasion to speak directly with the professor, so perhaps my friend just gave me a position to please me….
Perhaps we can start now a discussion if a “relata refero” notion is quite reliable…..
Thanks to all participating to this interesting discussion, anyway. :clap:
Pier
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Hi everyone.
Section 28 is now PL Ok.
Just the duration, it results to me to be 34:26.

Thank you
Emanuela
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

That makes 81% completed! :clap:

Thank you so much :)
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Eysiss wrote: July 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm ..................Just the duration, it results to me to be 34:26.....
Emanuela
Sure: 34:26 m , just a typing mistake!
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Hi there!
I will try to proof listen this today or tomorrow!

For what concern my section 55, I've recorded more or less 2/3 of it.
I will try to finish in a couple of weeks, but in the case I won't be able to, it will take until september to finish it, due to family circumstancies.
So Availle, Monika and Pier, if you think it's too long of a delay, I will step back.
Sincerely I would be very happy to try to finish it, but I can't be too selfish!

So, please tell me if I have to free my section. I will follow your decision... slowly but continuously, as a good snail.

Emanuela
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Emanuela, my opinion is that there isn't any hurry to finish your section, especially considering that we have other sections of other readers pending.
I would just ask you and any other reader to update a schedule for completing the pending sections, to make the general programming easier.
But this is just my opinion: Monika, Ava what do you suggest?
Pier